Linksys WRT3200ACM @ 44048 - WiFi issues

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
wiewior81
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 18:22    Post subject: Linksys WRT3200ACM @ 44048 - WiFi issues Reply with quote
Hi guys,
I'm having a lot of issues with my WRT3200ACM WiFi all the time. I'm using both radios (5Ghz + 2.4Ghz) - ath0 with "fastest" settings and ath1 with "most compatible" ones to use with IoT and other "smart" devices.
My main problem is that a great part of the 2.4 clients can't connect at all to the AP, or - they can connect, and I can see connections on the "Status/Wireless/Clients" tab, but none of them can be seen on "Status/LAN/Active Clients" list, so they probably are not receiving or sending any data (even if they're supposed to). It mainly applies to LIFX bulbs, but also to Air Conditioner controller, weather station etc.

My 2.4 GHz settings:

Code:
Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: NG-Mixed
Channel Width: Full (20 MHz)
Wireless Channel: 6 - 2437 MHz
TurboQAM (QAM256) support: Enable
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Unitra-2
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable

TX Power: 30 dBm
Antenna Gain: 0 dBi
U-APSD (Automatic Power Save): Disable
Protection Mode: RTS/CTS
RTS Threshold: Enable
Threshold: 2346
Short Preamble: Disable
Short GI: Disable
AP Isolation: Disable
Beacon Interval: 50
DTIM Interval: 1
WMM Support: Disable
ScanList: default
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing): 500
Max Associated Clients: 256

Minimum Signal for authenticate: -128
Minimum Signal for connection: -128
Poll Time for signal lookup: 10
Amount of allowed low signals: 3
Multicast To Unicast: Disable
Network Configuration: Bridged

Security: WPA2 / AES.

What I am doing wrong? As I'm writing this, I have 14 clients connected (HT20/Legacy) to 2.4 radio but just 4 (!!) of them are "Active".

Any help appreciated!

Piotr
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wifi for the WRT series always seems to involve magic incantations while burning sage. That said, on my similar but different WRT1900ACSv2 routers, I found RTS/CTS caused intermittent strange wifi behavior, so I ended up choosing to change that setting to None. Also TurboQAM sounded great in principle, but I read somewhere that it worked only extremely close to the router, and after testing that, I found that it did basically nothing. So I disabled it. Other than that, things you have enabled, so do I.

I do use Short GI (Guard Interval) and Short Preamble here with no obvious problem, but I suggesting trying things first without them, especially as you are dealing with IoT devices while I am not. People do seem to struggle with those.

I assume you've read through the new-build thread for 44048 in this forum? Worth it, because you may find IoT-device discussions.

Six Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 routers on 46816, 48141: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, client mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), DDNS, wireguard servers and clients (AzireVPN), three DNSCrypt DNS providers (incl Quad9) via VPN clients.
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Wifi for the WRT series always seems to involve magic incantations while burning sage.

Holy Cow! I've been doing it wrong all this time!
reflashgordon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi wiewior81

I'm not new to DD-WRT, but I am to the forum... You see, I saw your post and felt compelled to reply and have just created an account in order to do so. If the text is weird, or the forum rules have been broken, or my signature lacks required information, my apologies to all in advance...

My message to you is that I suggest you set your beacon interval (especially) and DTIM as follows:

Beacon Interval: 100
DTIM Interval: 2

After years of WiFi stability, with the (default?) settings above in place, I recently stupidly fiddled there after seeing a post that caught my interest (prime numbers, device battery life, less interference from the neighbours, etc.) and what a mistake that was.

It was my own fault for doing this, the post was in a non-Marvel channel, and I should have just left it alone as I wasn't having problems, but boy did it cause me a few weeks of grief. Even WhatsApp was affected: dropped calls, inability to make calls, texts not coming through on time, you name it. I thought it was the release (I'd recently upgraded as well), rolled back to 44048, and still had issues. This forced me to look further and...

There is a Wiki page, somewhere or other in the DD-WRT world (it's late here and I can't be bothered to find it), that shed serious light on the problem. It states something to the effect of 'if you are a Marvel user and have ended up here by chance, do not change these settings' and a switch back to 2/100 has sorted all my issues out and I'm back to stability (on 44048).

I fear you may have changed a whole lot of other things, those are for you to figure out (some pointers below), but for sure if you have a WRT-1900-ACS V2 router, in my experience you will want to set those two parameters as per above.

Cheers and good luck!

PS: I too, like SurprisedItWorks, have RTS/CTS set to none, TurboQAM is disabled, whilst ShortGI and Short Preamble are enabled. In addition, I've also set U-APSD to off, WMM Support is always enabled, and have Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) set to 0 (zero) as I'm in a rather small flat.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
reflashgordon thank you so much for chiming in! I completely missed that those settings had been changed from the defaults in the OP. In fact, a few months ago I had very much the same experience that you did. I saw posts that got me all interested in messing with these numbers and using primes and all that, and it led to total chaos. In the end I set my beacon/dtim intervals back at 100/2 for ath0 and 100/1 for ath1. I've had no trouble since reverting to those figures.
Six Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 routers on 46816, 48141: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, client mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), DDNS, wireguard servers and clients (AzireVPN), three DNSCrypt DNS providers (incl Quad9) via VPN clients.
wiewior81
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you guys, I'll try to change some of the settings as you suggest, but all the "magic" I need to know seems to involve also a lot of luck. Buying a ~350USD router that has "WRT" in the name not by accident, I thought that it will work like a charm... and it seems that it was an example of the money spent on shit in a glossy box Sad
reflashgordon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
It feels strangely good sharing these painful experiences @SurprisedItWorks. I should have joined the forum months ago... it's most comforting to hear I'm not the only one who has been battling with these issues Smile

@Piotr, for what it's worth, and just to give you an idea, these are my wireless settings and they have worked very well for me on the 1900ACS V2 for a long time now:

WiFi-5GHz:

AC/N mixed
VHT-80
36-5180 MHz
UU(+6)

Allow Channel Overlapping = No
U-APSD (Automatic Power Save) = No
Protection Mode = None
RTS Threshold = No
Short Preamble = Yes
Short GI = Yes
Single User Beamforming = Yes

Beacon Interval = 100
DTIM Interval = 2
WMM Support = Yes
Radar Detection = No

Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) = 0
Multicast To Unicast = Disable

WiFi-2GHz:

Mixed
Full (20 Mhz)
11 - 2462 Mhz

TurboQAM (QAM256) support = No

Rest of the 2.4GHz settings are the same as for WiFi-5GHz above.

The 5Ghz network is my workhorse network, the 2Ghz settings were chosen for maximum compatibility (guests, grandparents and their ancient mobiles etc.)

I have the following devices and they all work well on 44048 with the settings above:

Amazon Echo, PS4, Roku3, Roku Stick, Roomba 695, Logi Circle security camera, iPhone 5 (iOS 10), iPhone 7 (iOS 14.2), iPad Air (iOs 12), Lenovo T480, Desktop with Intel AC 9260 card.
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just jumping hear to mention the obvious.

You are running a 3200 which for the most part does not like "Smart Devices" . This has been an issue with the 3200 since day 1. There are workarounds but to facilitate using these devices it will be at the cost of running in G mode with speed limited. If you glance at my profile you will notice that on my 3200 Master I don't even use the 2,4Ghz. On the remote 3200 I do but it is limited to a few IP cameras. All my smart devices are on other routers (1200 & 1900's).

If you go through the forum you will find considerable mention to the 3200 WiFi problems and the best suggestion so far is to simply disable the 2.4Ghz and use a separate Router for all the devices.

ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r47608 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r47608 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r47608
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r47608

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r47608
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1 (X2)
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
wiewior81
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
There are workarounds but to facilitate using these devices it will be at the cost of running in G mode with speed limited.

Changed the radio mode to G-only, and it seems that suddenly everything works fine... Shocked

If I would replace 3200 for something that could work without any problems with DD-WRT and would be within the same price level, what devices should I consider?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Others can suggest alternatives, but the favorite in the forums for a router in that class appears to be the Netgear (Nighthawk X4S) R7800, particularly for trouble-free operation.

FWIW, people seem to think the WRT3200ACM makes a great wired-only router with the wifi disabled. Multiple-router setups are beyond my experience though, so listen to others on that. (WENED!)

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, legacy data rates are key to work around IoT smart problems for Marvell WRT series.

Some disable WMM within a VAP to isolate them, some set G-only/BG-Mixed, some do both...

Some disable radio(s) and use an external access point(s).

Some return, sell or throw these Marvell based routers off a cliff and buy R7800 or R9000.

The Guarantee: WRT54GL < WRT3200ACM < R7500v2EA8500 < R7800
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: