Moderator actions review - censorship of speech

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 15:01    Post subject: Moderator actions review - censorship of speech Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm working on dd-wrt for the last 12 years. I have never been in violation of any rules or policies or had any issues with moderators in the last 12 years. That is until yesterday. I'm sorry to have to ask you to spend time to review this matter but I believe the behaviour of this moderator is detrimental to the group and without being addressed will hurt the group and community if it goes unaddressed.

In this post below I describe a problem I am having and ask the group for advise.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1222968#1222968

Laster in the day I found a thread that another user posted and replied to his thread, questioning if anyone had any updates to share on this topic.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279194

moderator, msoengineer, replied telling me that I had crossed posted and to not do that. I protested his categorization of my posts and stated I didn't violate policies and he should provide me with the policy wording. Instead msoengineer decided to edit my posts, without notice, and remove my words that was critical of his accusation.

A mod altering another users post to change the messages and at the same time make no note that it was in fact edited by a moderator is misleading, a misrepresentation of my words and statement. and an abuse of his authority as a role of moderator. This is not the type of punitive actions that is becoming of a moderator on this site.

I would like the administrators to review his actions and to address my concerns. Thank you.

Latest and greatest builds Wink

Last edited by stephensuley on Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:09; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I deleted commentary that was un-necessary and you did cross post...

I welcome any "investigation" and you will find that indeed you have cross posted.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
I deleted commentary that was un-necessary and you did cross post...

I welcome any "investigation" and you will find that indeed you have cross posted.

Our debate if I was cross posting or not is no longer the issue. Your actions after that is what I am raising to the group as a problem that needs an investigation.

Unnecessary or not, I simply stated I disagreed with your comments. I only pointed out how my posts were in fact different from each other and my belief that it was those differences that was the proof it wasn't in fact a cross posts.
No rude words, no combative comments, nothing that violated any policy. Yet you took action to edit my post and deleted my words, and censor my speech. This is a gross abuse of power by you.

A member disagreeing with your comments isn't a reason nor does your role as moderator grant you permission to censor their speech, alter their post, and take away their right to reply to your accusations. You must have a just cause to take the actions you did, and you saying they are "un-necessary" is not listed as a justifiable reason.

It's your unilateral actions to edit my posts and censor my speech simply because you disagree with or find them unnecessary that is at issue. You abused your role as moderator and abused the rights granted to you by the group.

It's extremely concerning that even now you are unable to see the error of your censorship actions. This continued display of poor judgement by you is more proof that you do not understand what your role is as a moderator and what the proper way is to exercise those privileges are.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do we have to quote the rules and guidelines stickies as well as the moderator rules in a response here? People seem to have an issue being moderated on this forum. You can tell by the way that trying to stay on topic in the build release threads was met with resistance and subsequent complaints.

P.S. Once a comment or post is deleted, it usually cannot be retrieved if it's not included in a database backup on the server.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
a single post was edited and nothing removed was of any consequence...

I will admit it was of poor judgement to remove the less than "of consequence" comments you have...

you're getting awfully fired up over your comments that were pretty weak..but you'll now say I deleted something of worthwhile commentary...

I'm sorry I deleted your post; really I am...but you're making this out like i deleted damming stuff...and it was more griping whiny stuff...

so keep on being a whiny person...

if I lose my moderator status..so be it...EGC and I are really the only one's left...and BS likely won't do much about this since he needs our help...

I promise not to edit anyone's post over petty shit and let it air out...in the end I still have a point that you cross posted about U-apsd in two spots..but that point is moot now...

let's just both move on...

any way as far as the rules:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54026

Quote:
  • While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Please refrain from swearing, as it only serves to deter others from reading further. If your post has been removed, our decision is final in these matters.

You were being rude
Quote:
  • Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.

you posted about u-apsd in two spots; one topic was several years old...
Quote:
  • Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

being rude and whiny when you were in the wrong certainly falls under this use case.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting

Last edited by msoengineer on Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:42; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

Please. We do not have enough active moderators on here to keep things in check, and it shows. It is why the forum has gotten painful over the past couple of years or so.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
so I have no complaints

if i understand the problem correctly then a post has been edited without notice?

well, next time just add a comment "the post was edited by: because"

there you avoid all problems
No reason for anyone to argue
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
msoengineer wrote:

Please. We do not have enough active moderators on here to keep things in check, and it shows. It is why the forum has gotten painful over the past couple of years or so.

agreed that we only have so much bandwidth to watch over stuff... I'm not bowing out over someone being rude... but I think my point is made...

Oh, and turn off u-aspd...

[R7800] resting
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
so I have no complaints

if i understand the problem correctly then a post has been edited without notice?

well, next time just add a comment "the post was edited by: because"

there you avoid all problems
No reason for anyone to argue

great advice and will do my best...sometimes we're just trying to clean things up... mostly pics being too big...or posts in the wrong sub-group....

[R7800] resting
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I don't know if you're being ironic.

but I always handle it that way, we have stamps for it, edit and lock the post.
With a short comment.

There are some other users who are wondering.
I would also be a little surprised if I write a post and then at the end half of it is missing.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Well, I don't know if you're being ironic.

but I always handle it that way, we have stamps for it, edit and lock the post.
With a short comment.

There are some other users who are wondering.
I would also be a little surprised if I write a post and then at the end half of it is missing.

90%+ of the time I do... in this case I was being lazy and called to the mat for it... First time of a complaint like this...again, sorry and I will do my best not to repeat it.

I hope it's evident from all the other stuff on here that I am trying to be a steward and pay back in this way for the free firmware work that takes a shit ton of time and resources.

[R7800] resting
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
a single post was edited and nothing removed was of any consequence...

I will admit it was of poor judgement to remove the less than "of consequence" comments you have...

you're getting awfully fired up over your comments that were pretty weak..but you'll now say I deleted something of worthwhile commentary...

I'm sorry I deleted your post; really I am...but you're making this out like i deleted damming stuff...and it was more griping whiny stuff...

so keep on being a whiny person...

if I lose my moderator status..so be it...EGC and I are really the only one's left...and BS likely won't do much about this since he needs our help...

I promise not to edit anyone's post over petty shit and let it air out...in the end I still have a point that you cross posted about U-apsd in two spots..but that point is moot now...

any way as far as the rules:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54026

Quote:
  • While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Please refrain from swearing, as it only serves to deter others from reading further. If your post has been removed, our decision is final in these matters.

You were being rude
Quote:
  • Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.

you posted about u-apsd in two spots; one topic was several years old...
Quote:
  • Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

being rude and whiny when you were in the wrong certainly falls under this use case.

Can you cite the example where I was rude? I would genuinely like to know what words I posted you believed was being rude.

I believe you're now being dishonest to obfuscate your own inappropriate actions.

I'll move on, but I want my post restored and my infractions cited.

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
keep making all the claims you want to support your side...

I cannot re-instate your comments; as whiny and rude as they were....

You can certainly ask BS to try and restore your 4 sentences back...only he has that ability. When they do get restored it will only bolster my side of things.

I don't appreciate your slander, so knock it off.
As moderators we have to take things into our own hands when people are rude...sometimes things get messy...sorry for that.

your comments were simply whining that I am being unfair in calling you out for cross posting...It's a real shame that you cannot say: I admit to cross posting and won't do it again... instead you continue to be a jerk as evidenced above.

I took the high ground- said sorry, but I don't have to tolerate you being a jerk still, per the rules... move on...

I am locking this thread since you said you're moving on and so am I.

[R7800] resting
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: