OpenVPN speed

pupeto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 13:49    Post subject: OpenVPN speed Reply with quote
Hola:
I hope this is the right place.

Netgear X 10 R9000 Router
Firmware version: Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44849 std (11/20/20)
My IPS speed 300/15. Cable modem.

Express VPN configured following the same procedure you mentioned in your answer:
https://www.expressvpn.com/es/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-dd-wrt-router-with-openvpn/

Also, these instructions:(thanks egc)
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326913

My settings:
Services-VPN-OpenVPN Client-Policy based Routing
PBR 10.10.1.0/24

Wireless-Basic Settings-Virtual Interfaces ath0.1 SSID [VPN 5 Ghz]
Advanced Settings-Network Configuration- Unbridged (Enable) -IP Address: 10.10.1.1
Setup-Networking-DHCPD-Multiple DHCP Server
Ath0.1 interface: IP 10.10.1.1/255.255.255.0

Wi-fi settigs (Thanks msoengineer)
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1198757#1198757

No DNS leaks

ExpressVPN only for devices connected to ath0.1. I use it to open Netflix and Disney plus content not available in Latin America. Everything works OK except Netflix. Any device connected to ath0.1 when trying to play some Netflix content, the image quality is very bad. Only 0.45 Mbps according to the technical information of the Netflix app (Smart TV's, phones, android TV, etc).
In Diney plus the reproduced content does not have that problem. I don't know how to see the technical information for Diney plus but it looks good.
Speed ​​on devices: About 20/25 Mbps. On Android TV browser fast.com 10-12 Mbps

Express VPN support told me to try other servers in the USA, but the result is the same.

Before contracting ExpressVPN I had tried NordVPN but I decided to contract ExpressVPN since in NordVPN Netflix does not work on Andorid TV devices connected to a DD-WRT router. I had not used Netflix before with ExpressVPN. I only tested if it worked, but I did not check the quality.

Does it seem like a configuration problem or is it an ExpressVPN problem?

I hope you have understood my explanation of the problem.

I apologize for my English.

Gracias
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the right forum Smile

Your router should be capable of more than 100 Mb/s via VPN.

I understand that you get not more than 25 Mb/s?
That is not much and probably due to the used Express VPN server.

Run from your laptop connected via your wifi/vpn some speedtest not only to check speed but also ping times and search for the fastest vpn server.

One other thing to consider is MTU size if your speed is low or inconsistent than an MTU size set too high might be the culprit.

If Express supports it you might want to try TCP instead of UDP or have a look at the MTU section of the troubleshooting guide, third post of this thread:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318795

I am sure others will chime in with more ideas Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doesn't sound like a problem w/ the router to me either. Not if all other content providers work as expected. The router couldn't care less about one data source vs. another, nevermind one content provider vs. another.

Netlfix and some of these other contents providers are being quite proactive in stamping down on VPNs, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was Netflix itself. It's the to the point where they're even detecting and objecting to the use of a VPN for your DNS, even if the stream itself is over the WAN.

And btw, iirc, ExpressVPN only supports udp w/ the router. For tcp, you need to use their app.
pupeto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Estimados:
I have been testing with several ExpressVPN servers. All with the same speed.

After contacting ExpressVPN support they recommended two locations.
After switching to one of them, I got the speed to reach 70 Mbps Speedtest (phone and laptop) and Android TV only 40Mbps.

egc:
"One other thing to consider is MTU size if your speed is low or inconsistent than an MTU size set too high might be the culprit."
Services / VPN / OpenVPN Client / Tunnel MTU setting ??
My setting 1500. Is that the value I should change?

They also confirmed what eibgrad mentioned: "ExpressVPN only supports udp w / the router. For tcp, you need to use their app."

Visitor: Is it possible to use TCP instead of UDP on the DD-WRT router?
Lee: Let me check.
After waiting 4 minutes Very Happy Very Happy

Lee: We can only use the UDP or Open VPN protocol for DD-WRT routers.

Connected to this new server, Netflix on the Samsung TV reached 9.23 Mb/s. Netflix on Android TV only 2.23 Mbps maximum. But it fluctuated between 1 Mbp/s and 2 Mbp/s.
Disney + OK on both devices. I don't know how to view the technical information for D +, but it looked OK.

eibgrad: Netflix did not work with NordVPN on Android TV connected to a DD-WRT Router. Maybe with ExpresVPN Netflix it works but at a slower speed than other devices? As you mentioned maybe Netflix limits the speed in this case on an Android TV connected to a DD-WRT router?
My devices: TV Sansung 55MU6100 and Android TV Mi Box S

What if I try another VPN service and see if Netflix works correctly on an Anroid TV connected to a DD-WRT Router? There are several that offer a trial week in the Google play store.

Thanks
Muchas gracias a ambos por sus respuestas y sugerencias.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
pupeto wrote:
What if I try another VPN service and see if Netflix works correctly on an Anroid TV connected to a DD-WRT Router? There are several that offer a trial week in the Google play store.

On my Android TV, Netflix (USA) refuses to play through the NordVPN app, the PIA app, or the OpenVPN app set up for AirVPN. Don't get your hopes up here. Netflix does not want people to use VPNs to "move into" a different country, as their licensing agreements with content providers generally have geographic restrictions. And it doesn't matter that I am in the same country. They block any IPs that they associate with VPNs. Edit: I just confirmed by experiment something someone mentioned above, that Netflix works through a VPN for Netflix-produced programming. Tried it with PIA.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.

Last edited by SurprisedItWorks on Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:30; edited 1 time in total
chaski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use ExpressVPN too and get ~70Mbit/s in the UK. Netflix won’t load at all for me whilst connect to VPN, so I would say it’s most likely a Netflix related issue. Throttling etc.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is a cat and mouse game between Netflix and VPN providers, Netflix seeks out IP addresses belonging to a VPN and then blocks it, so your connection stops. The VPN providers starts to use other addresses and then it is working again, so also dependant on what VPN server you connect to and when.

Some providers have large blocks of addresses and cycle them between VPN and normal use to confuse Netflix.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
pupeto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

On my Android TV, Netflix (USA) refuses to play through the NordVPN app, the PIA app, or the OpenVPN app set up for AirVPN. Don't get your hopes up here. Netflix does not want people to use VPNs to "move into" a different country, as their licensing agreements with content providers generally have geographic restrictions. And it doesn't matter that I am in the same country. They block any IPs that they associate with VPNs. Edit: I just confirmed by experiment something someone mentioned above, that Netflix works through a VPN for Netflix-produced programming. Tried it with PIA.

SurprisedItWorks: In a couple of months my annual subscription for Express VPN ends. I was thinking of trying Surfshark and now that you mention it I'm going to try PIA too. Thanks.

chaski wrote:
I use ExpressVPN too and get ~70Mbit/s in the UK. Netflix won’t load at all for me whilst connect to VPN, so I would say it’s most likely a Netflix related issue. Throttling etc.

I tried to use express vpn app for android on my Mi Box S but the result was the same. Only 0.45 Mbps. Embarassed Embarassed

egc wrote:
It is a cat and mouse game between Netflix and VPN providers, Netflix seeks out IP addresses belonging to a VPN and then blocks it, so your connection stops. The VPN providers starts to use other addresses and then it is working again, so also dependant on what VPN server you connect to and when.

Some providers have large blocks of addresses and cycle them between VPN and normal use to confuse Netflix.

egc: I find it strange that it only happens with my Android TV connected to the DD-WRT router. In Smart TV's, laptops, cell phones connected to the DD-WRT Netflix router works OK.
Other apps like D + and Prime video work OK on my Mi Box S connected to the DD-WRT router.
After consulting with ExpressVPN support, they recommend which servers in the United States to use from my location that have higher speed. It was easier to ask them than to keep testing.

I apologize again for my English.

Gracias a todos.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Pupeto... Re PIA I can add that configured for wireguard they were the fastest of my three options for the Android TV. Nearly twice as fast as NordVPN's NordLynx. Never get a stutter either. For my dd-wrt routers I still strongly prefer AirVPN for many reasons, but my TV is happy with PIA.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
pupeto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Hi Pupeto... Re PIA I can add that configured for wireguard they were the fastest of my three options for the Android TV. Nearly twice as fast as NordVPN's NordLynx. Never get a stutter either. For my dd-wrt routers I still strongly prefer AirVPN for many reasons, but my TV is happy with PIA.

Estimado: "SurprisedItWorks"

If something is not understood in my English it is because of Google Translate. Laughing Laughing

Do you use WireGuard instead of OpenVPN with PIA VPN for your TV with android TV? Do you get a higher speed?

I've been looking for information on WireGuard I found this
WireGuard:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireguard

And WireGuard (client) setup guide. Thanks egc

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324624

Do all VPN providers support WireGuard? I couldn't figure out how to configure ExpreesVPN with WireGuard.

From what you mention WireGuard is faster than Open VPN. It is right?

Silly question PIA = Private Internet Access?

I am going to try a PIA week (7 day free trial) but first I am going to try to learn about WireGuard.

Thank you
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
pupeto wrote:
Do you use WireGuard instead of OpenVPN with PIA VPN for your TV with android TV? Do you get a higher speed?

I've been looking for information on WireGuard I found this
WireGuard:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireguard

That one is a bit old.
Quote:
And WireGuard (client) setup guide. Thanks egc

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324624

Yes, use that guide from egc to set up wireguard in dd-wrt with a compatible vpn provider. PIA and NordVPN both use modified implementations of wireguard that make them noncompatible. People are doing OK with KeepSolid and AzireVPN, and Mullvad works also but I think with a slightly modified setup procedure. I'm sure there are others, but I don't know of them.
Quote:
Do all VPN providers support WireGuard? I couldn't figure out how to configure ExpreesVPN with WireGuard.

Not all providers support it. (I'm happy with AzireVPN, but their only servers in the Americas are in Toronto, Chicago, and Miami. They are mostly in Europe.) Wireguard is still new, and providers are still figuring out how to maintain maximum privacy for clients who are using it. Wireguard's security (can they decipher your traffic?) is as good as OpenVPN's, but its privacy (can they figure out who you are?) may or may not be. Debate and discussion are ongoing. (There is a lot of incorrect information floating around... be careful.)
Quote:
From what you mention WireGuard is faster than Open VPN. It is right?

It usually is, yes. In dd-wrt it generally runs 2x to 3x faster than OpenVPN.
Quote:
Silly question PIA = Private Internet Access?

Yes.
Quote:
I am going to try a PIA week (7 day free trial) but first I am going to try to learn about WireGuard.

Thank you

You're welcome. Happy reading.

pupeto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

Yes, use that guide from egc to set up wireguard in dd-wrt with a compatible vpn provider. PIA and NordVPN both use modified implementations of wireguard that make them noncompatible. People are doing OK with KeepSolid and AzireVPN, and Mullvad works also but I think with a slightly modified setup procedure. I'm sure there are others, but I don't know of them.

Not all providers support it. (I'm happy with AzireVPN, but their only servers in the Americas are in Toronto, Chicago, and Miami. They are mostly in Europe.) Wireguard is still new, and providers are still figuring out how to maintain maximum privacy for clients who are using it. Wireguard's security (can they decipher your traffic?) is as good as OpenVPN's, but its privacy (can they figure out who you are?) may or may not be. Debate and discussion are ongoing. (There is a lot of incorrect information floating around... be careful.)

Sorry for my repeated questions. I want to be sure I understand what you wrote.

PIA and Nord VPN are not compatible with WireGuard. It is right?

Mullvad, Azirevpn and AzireVPN are compatible with WireGuard. It is right?

De nuevo gracias.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
PIA and NordVPN both offer wireguard through their apps. Their apps are required because their servers do not offer standard wireguard but somewhat modified wireguard. So the standard wireguard clients in dd-wrt, linux, Windows 10, and iOS are not compatible with the wireguard offerings of PIA and NordVPN.

I favor using open-source vpn client apps anyway, as you never really know what a proprietary app might be doing, so I'm fine with using only standard wireguard through an open-source app. In iOS I use the WireGuard app from the wireguard project, and recent linux distributions for laptops, etc. have wireguard built into the (open-source) kernel. I use the PIA app on my Android TV because I cannot find an open-source app that will run on it.

By the way, AirVPN has made it clear that they are testing a wireguard implementation and expect to offer it before long. I don't know whether it will be compatible with dd-wrt, iOS/WireGuard, and linux wireguard. I am hopeful, but we'll just have to wait and see.

jauch888888
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want no problem go with torguard with their dedicated ip, so netflix will always work
pupeto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
jauch888888 wrote:
If you want no problem go with torguard with their dedicated ip, so netflix will always work

Estimado jauch888888
i will try torguard too

I understand that torguard is compatible with Wireguard. It is right?

I will try these VPN services compatible with DD-WRT WireGuard:

Torguard
KeepSolid
Mullvad
Azirevpn
KeepSolid

And then I'll see which is the fastest and works with D+, Netflix and Prime.

Thanks jauch888888 and SurprisedItWorks for your help

Gracias
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: