So many bugs...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Knomax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 16:46    Post subject: So many bugs... Reply with quote
Sorry for this post but....anyway...
Some thoughts...
I try using custom firmware some years ago...i start with DD-WRT..i really like this firmware BUT..i see that day by day jumps from release to release adding functions that don't work or works partially!!!!
I see people posting when install new release .."qos in previous release works now it does this"...."DHCP in previous release works now when i make static leases..it reboots".

It was added CAKE etc ..but so many years now ticket #5225 still exists a no one dev give a sh@@t...it is ridiculous.
I try Gargoyle...Lede...Openwrt....dd-wrt has much better gui and functions for users BUT they dont work or works partially.

It is stable firmware??Of course NO..updates are for making "thinks" better and solve problems not to create new.
It is still in "beta"...a beta at the beginning with "baby" diseases that cannot solved.

Sorry but it is sad for me looking in other "forums" laughing when someone speaks about dd-wrt.

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to hear you have a suboptimal user experience with DDWRT.

In my humble opinion most problems can be attributed to user configuration errors, yes there are bugs but the serious ones are mostly resolved quickly in my experience.

Unfortunately bug free software has yet to be invented Sad

Anyway thank you for your contribution.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Knomax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will give one more try..i install DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 (11/03/20).
What functions are working in QOS right now?mac priority..services?Cake?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most if not all manufacturers firmware's have bigger issues that don't ever get resolved! Let alone patches to serious problems in some cases, so where does that leave you?
I for one am thankful to BrainSlayer for all his hard work.
Knomax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was saying about custom firmware not every manufacturer.
Base functions like qos...dhcp etc. must resolve immediately.
So what functions works with qos?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I find the thread a bit unfair

in the end dd-wrt is free and more or less a one-man project

the commits in the svn shows that a lot of work has been put into it
and i say it is questionable how much 1 developer can do alone

a simple QoS configuration works, I haven't found any major problems when testing fq_codel, fq_codel_fast or cake

if you refer to ticket #5225, well there is a lot of incomprehensible jumbled stuff

50 clients on a connection with 500kb upload are also very realistic (ironic)

where 3. world countries now have 80% fiber optic connections

and that with any updates something gets broken like DHCP is normal

these are (beta) test images ....
usually such small problems are fixed very quickly

i must be really out of luck, because every time i try any other firmware like openwrt then there is something broken too
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you find a problem and others find no issue with the configuration you describe and it's reproducible by others, feel free to create or add to an existing ticket (if directly related).
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:23    Post subject: Re: So many bugs... Reply with quote
Knomax wrote:
Some thoughts...
I try using custom firmware some years ago...i start with DD-WRT..i really like this firmware BUT..i see that day by day jumps from release to release adding functions that don't work or works partially!!!!
I see people posting when install new release .."qos in previous release works now it does this"...."DHCP in previous release works now when i make static leases..it reboots".

It was added CAKE etc ..but so many years now ticket #5225 still exists a no one dev give a sh@@t...it is ridiculous.
I try Gargoyle...Lede...Openwrt....dd-wrt has much better gui and functions for users BUT they dont work or works partially.

It is stable firmware??Of course NO..updates are for making "thinks" better and solve problems not to create new.
It is still in "beta"...a beta at the beginning with "baby" diseases that cannot solved.

Sorry but it is sad for me looking in other "forums" laughing when someone speaks about dd-wrt.

yea, I have to call bullshit
AND
why don't you get a real router Twisted Evil
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:52    Post subject: Re: So many bugs... Reply with quote
Knomax wrote:
Some thoughts...

Your TL-WR1043ND is really "suboptimal". The Netgear R7800 is much more used and tested with QoS, VPN and more on DD-WRT.
You should be able to choose/find a R7800 build that is suitable for your needs, if you can get a used R7800 for a reasonable budget.

My WR941ND v6 bought 2014 is on build r40750, still the best choice for that hardware for me. Memory only 32M, not using QoS, every tried QoS setting "eats" a lot of memory.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:37    Post subject: Re: So many bugs... Reply with quote
servicetech wrote:
Knomax wrote:
Some thoughts...

Your TL-WR1043ND is really "suboptimal". The Netgear R7800 is much more used and tested with QoS, VPN and more on DD-WRT.
You should be able to choose/find a R7800 build that is suitable for your needs, if you can get a used R7800 for a reasonable budget.

My WR941ND v6 bought 2014 is on build r40750, still the best choice for that hardware for me. Memory only 32M, not using QoS, every tried QoS setting "eats" a lot of memory.

yep, you will get mad dogs rip off here...those very bold claims of yours, will get you to the reality and facing reality sometimes hurts...

1. QoS is a big challenge, even among enterprise routers...it always depends on resources and functions...there is no such a thing, as a free lunch, like a cheap router to run VPN, QoS and other services like most of ppl believe or want..

2. 1043v3 is a great router ...but for basic needs, it lacks of specs and resources...but even than, configured properly, it is capable to deliver some performance...do keep in mind it has only single core @720Mhz MIPS

3. Free 'open source' software always comes with its glory of its is not a bug free Smile ...

4. About DDWRT, there are good things to learn here and there, wiki, forum threads, ggl, but they need time, testing, dedication and understanding...very often people are not giving their best and ready to complain, at the first glance, I even do it, until i find its was my error and i get very embraced after...
but yep that is how we humans learn...read, try/error, success...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Wed Nov 11, 2020 19:16; edited 1 time in total
Knomax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 16:43    Post subject: Re: So many bugs... Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Knomax wrote:
Some thoughts...

yea, I have to call bullshit
AND
why don't you get a real router Twisted Evil

First of all i said that "i really like it"..don't stuck with the others i said..it is my disappointment because as i said "i like it".
WR1043nd v3 is to testing functions....i have Netduma R1,ASUS AC56U,Draytek 2762 and some others...the difference is that there is a community..so many "bugs" reported very fast and dev can troubleshoot them much easier.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
OpenWRT has a much larger developer community and team that DD-WRT doesn't. You're using a router that has quirks which require workarounds to make it work correctly in the first place. I think only the v1 works as intended with the last "fix" without startup commands? Maybe if you provided some helpful debugging or otherwise information instead of just posting to b*tch about problems, it wouldn't go over like a lead balloon?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Knomax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
And for the other guys...
My needs is only for gaming..
As i said "i really like it"....why???
Even in WR1043nd v3 it is the fastest in processing functions..routing.

I see the difference in gaming.

But QOS functions doesn't work in combination ...
Don't be angry with me..
I was thinking ...WHY..
"i can choose many queue discipline ..... i can choose Packet Scheduler...i can prioritize small packets..specific ip and ports"

If this QOS was "working" IT WILL BE PERFECT....JUST PERFECT.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe if you understood how to configure QoS for your specific device? Not all configurations work on all routers. See my previous post.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Knomax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think i understood QOS...in Openwrt i help to make script to auto adjust speeds time by time in SQM to have perfect bufferbloat every time.
I also use custom made QOS scripts...i can handle iptables rules..i know some thinks.
Here in DD Wrt i just set HTB+Cake ..prioritize small packets.. MAC priority in Premium...and port 3074 in Premium to.
Thats it.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: