WRT32X Display screen ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
gdavies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 18:57    Post subject: WRT32X Display screen ?? Reply with quote
I recently brought a Linksys WRT32X which was modded to have a fan built in and was running DD-WRT on both partitions, I had tried so many times to reflash the stock firmware to see what the difference was but to no avail. so I took the plunge an got a usb ttl cable. took the router apart, an found the plug pins were to close together for the adapter I had brought, so I have just soldered 3 cables in place on ground, rx and tx, followed post https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316094&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
an I can only thank the person who solved it, I now have the router running stock, which means I can put dd-wrt on just one partition or explore other options.

However back to the reason of me posting this, now I have the ttl connections in place is there a way of just connecting those wires to a screen so it gives a dos style output to show the router bootup etc, have to say was funky to have it output a display to putty as i was working on it. I think it would be a good addon to have it display commands as an when they are made.

Would arduino or raspberry pi help with this?

Any thoughts on the idea?
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep calm, stay funky. Cool
gdavies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 15:10    Post subject: keep calm Reply with quote
always calm, take it nothing has been done to do that as yet then
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can put serial terminal screen output on nearly anything, but the better question is why...

Or, you can go completely overboard like this...

https://hackaday.com/2013/01/07/adding-an-lcd-screen-terminal-for-tp-link-routers/
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
The answer to why would be so you have human-readable debug information available as the syslog and klog on the firmware don't always output anything usable.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The answer to why would be so you have human-readable debug information available as the syslog and klog on the firmware don't always output anything usable.
That is not part of the original problem, nor is it the reason for my question. "have to say was funky to have it output a display to putty as i was working on it." He already has all this information, just not in a form factor or location deemed preferable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENS6_LUdpCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRzD-fUQnak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9qPEAZbcUU
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps from your perspective. The main reason to have a serial terminal on a router is to have serial console access for input or output. I'm not entirely sure what tangent you're on about. The OP wants a permanent serial console, I thought? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Perhaps from your perspective. The main reason to have a serial terminal on a router is to have serial console access for input or output. I'm not entirely sure what tangent you're on about.
Please continue your tangent by further defining what a serial console is, for the masses. Inquiring minds want to know.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The OP wants a permanent serial console, I thought? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes, this is the subject. VT320 for everyone. 2 3
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
You can put serial terminal screen output on nearly anything, but the better question is why...

Point of tangent. I was not the initiator. It was probably a rhetorical question, but I concede. Otherwise, well. Hmm... I'm too old for this nonsense.

----------------------
gdavies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be honest using the likes of putty when connected via the serial connections it does give a human readable of what is is happening during the boot process line by line.

For me if this is done via the screens given in the examples I can look at the screen an see if the router needs an update, who is connected to it, if a vpn is active.

Sure others would enjoy too, I will certainly look into it more via the youtube links provided many thanks.
gdavies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
blkt wrote:

Point of tangent. I was not the initiator. It was probably a rhetorical question, but I concede. Otherwise, well. Hmm... I'm too old for this nonsense.

You are never too old for tech related problems, I am sorry for the delay in my responses too, I have been playing round with my router configuration to find what is right for me.

I reverted the router to original due to it coming shipped with DD-WRT an wanted to see the difference, the interface was nice, but the wifi signal too weak.

I tried open wrt and found it kind of clean in look but missing which you could adjust if you know the which addons to add, but wouldn't pick up the incoming signal without fiddling.

An then I have reinstalled DD-WRT the whole time I have had my serial connection and used putty as my serial connection display and it has been a clear indication of when the router had failed to boot, failed to write firmware, Each time I had connected I just displayed putty on my laptop to read an display the commands coming and going to an from my router.

Not sure if it would be easier show the output I mean by means of a video, however I have come up with a kind of solution.

If i get a raspberry pi that has usb and out put to a screen I can do just what I want to, Just looking at the different types an screens to look at a small mod
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
gdavies wrote:
You are never too old for tech related problems

My comment had nothing to do with that Laughing Arrow

----------------------
T-z3P
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

@gdavies if you manage to attach a screen to your router using whatever method, please post here so other can know about this. I'm interested in this, too.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
T-z3P wrote:
Hi,

@gdavies if you manage to attach a screen to your router using whatever method, please post here so other can know about this. I'm interested in this, too.

The way I am planning to do so is looking at a raspberry pi either 3 or zero with them been cheap an cheerful I have a USB to ttl cable, which is hard wired to my router, on raspberry pi install putty or something that can read the serial connection, I have seen some 7" screens for pi, so just doing some research at the moment to see what looks the best, but once I have done it I will post an update
ValCher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the WRT3200 recently put the RTC on the I2C bus, I think and this screen can be put.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: