Virtual Interface (Guest Wifi) Dropping wrt3200acm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
steelbeans
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 13:17    Post subject: Virtual Interface (Guest Wifi) Dropping wrt3200acm Reply with quote
Hi

New to this apologies if i need to be directed somewhere but couldnt find anything

Using Linksys wrt3200acm using the 44048 (good reviews) and having issue where the virtual interface (which is my guest wifi ath1.1) keeps dropping through the day, its multiple devices too e.g my Nest thermostat sometimes showing wifi isnt available, and chromebooks showing trying to connect to the wifi again - giving it a minute it connects again but can't seem to figure it out and causing issues!
Had the same issue with the later 44700. I have pihole set for dns, i have net and ap isolation on the network, its unbridged and has its own dhcp.

Anything i can try, or get logs activated so I can see whats going on?
Thanks
Sponsor
steelbeans
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok so i've tried a couple things, including banning a couple of mac addresses which are constantly connecting then dis-associating and disconnecting. I've put manual channels on, and ive started recording logs. This evening, my nest thermostat decided to d/c, and i found a log which looks like this:

WPA: group key handshake failed (RSN) after 4 tries
then
IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
(same Mac address)

Its not tried to connect since by the looks of it, and the the thermostat is showing 'error can't find wifi network x'

Its very likely thats the device (havent checked) as rest of logs are okay. Whats happening here? Others do it too over the course of the day, only on 2.4ghz by the looks of things (most of my IoT devices)

Help appreciated
Thanks!
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Long story short, IoT and 2.4 GHz on this router series is a disaster thanks to Marvell supplied wifi binaries.

You can try limiting data rates as a workaround. Some do this by disabling WMM in advanced settings.

Others set Wireless Network Mode to G-Only or BG-Mixed, or disable WMM and use G-Only for example.

Another thing you can try is connect all the problematic devices to a VAP, and disable WMM within the VAP.

But, I think all 2.4GHz clients would still be limited to legacy data rates.

Best solution is to isolate and offload all bad clients onto another router, or replace the main entirely.

I used WRT3200ACM then moved on to Qualcomm Atheros hardware, would recommend R7800.
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Long story short, IoT and 2.4 GHz on this router series is a disaster thanks to Marvell supplied wifi binaries.

You can try limiting data rates as a workaround. Some do this by disabling WMM in advanced settings.

Others set Wireless Network Mode to G-Only or BG-Mixed, or disable WMM and use G-Only for example.

Another thing you can try is connect all the problematic devices to a VAP, and disable WMM within the VAP.

But, I think all 2.4GHz clients would still be limited to legacy data rates.

Best solution is to isolate and offload all bad clients onto another router, or replace the main entirely.

I used WRT3200ACM then moved on to Qualcomm Atheros hardware, would recommend R7800.

We've been down this path way too many times. BLKT your suggestion to offload to a different AP is still the best solution. I still use the 2.4Ghz on my slave 3200 but only for a couple of IP Cameras. So many devices are incompatible with the 3200 2.4Ghz that it is best not to even try using it. You are correct in that by using a VAP and disabling the wmm it will screw up the primary AP.
Bottom line get a cheap 2.4Ghz router and LAN connect it to the 3200 with DHCP off acting as a dumb switch with AP capability. This is how I have mine setup and everything works well.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55819 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55819 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
steelbeans
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies guys

Sounds like a nightmare for everyone on these Marvell chips - appreciate you summing it all up.

I've tried disaling WMM on the VAP, which suddenly allows my Sonoff wifi plugs to connect (they wont otherwise), but then the SmartTV won't connect - can't have it all!

I'll look for another AP like you've suggested to cable in instead
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: