Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
twalp
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Nov 2020
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 22:12    Post subject: Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail Reply with quote
I believe I successfully installed DD-WRT per the Wiki instructions. All steps worked as described. And the result works. In the upper right corner of the GUI it says "Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro".

I figured I should upgrade the fw to the latest recommended version. This forum is full of such recommendations, including 14929, 25697, 27858 and 28598 (all named dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54gs.bin). I am trying to upgrade using the built-in firmware upgrade capability as outlined in the Peacock thread. But after one pass of the progress bar it says Upgrade Failed. This happens with all the versions cited above.

Suggestions?
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2619
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 16:17    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail Reply with quote
twalp wrote:
I believe I successfully installed DD-WRT per the Wiki instructions. All steps worked as described. And the result works. In the upper right corner of the GUI it says "Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro".

I figured I should upgrade the fw to the latest recommended version. This forum is full of such recommendations [...]
But after one pass of the progress bar it says Upgrade Failed.
Don't use a build older than 43191; the Peacock Announcement is only for historical reference. Smile

It just so happens I'm setting up a GSv6 today for my sister's new building (they have slow DSL), and upgraded from 41696 to 44715 just fine.

Don't select the 'reset after flash' option and (last I knew) don't use Chrome. To be fair, I used Chromium Edge (in Win10 20H2) and worked a-ok. Cool Also, check your dmesg for any issues w/ your flash.

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 21.1.7|FT2021.2: EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302@532|DD 46854: DIR-810L, 4000@533,
R6300v1, RT-N66U@663, E1500@353, WRT54G{Lv1.1,Sv6}@250
|OpenWRT 21.02: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
twalp
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Nov 2020
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 21:27    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Don't use a build older than 43191; the Peacock Announcement is only for historical reference. Smile

It just so happens I'm setting up a GSv6 today for my sister's new building (they have slow DSL), and upgraded from 41696 to 44715 just fine.

Don't select the 'reset after flash' option and (last I knew) don't use Chrome. To be fair, I used Chromium Edge (in Win10 20H2) and worked a-ok. Cool Also, check your dmesg for any issues w/ your flash.


Thank you for the reply, jwh7. I downloaded and tried installing it using Chromium Edge but the result is the same. Is there anything significant about the word "mini" in the filename "dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54gs.bin" when the word "micro" appears in the upper right corner firmware section of the DD-WRT starting page"?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 9458
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use Chromium-based browsers, and if you do, incognito mode, NO EXTENSIONS LOADED, and separate from the rest of your internet traffic. We need to make that post a sti... oh, wait. It already is a sticky... TL;DR strikes again... lol
_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines & Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2619
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:26    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail Reply with quote
twalp wrote:
Is there anything significant about the word "mini" in the filename "dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54gs.bin" when the word "micro" appears in the upper right corner firmware section of the DD-WRT starting page"?
That is significant cuz it's the wrong file, and too big to flash a 2MB router. Wink Only micro builds will flash to the GSv6. I've updated the wiki. Smile
E.g.:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/11-03-2020-r44715/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Btw, you should also reset and manually setup. But esp if you have any issues after upgrade.

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 21.1.7|FT2021.2: EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302@532|DD 46854: DIR-810L, 4000@533,
R6300v1, RT-N66U@663, E1500@353, WRT54G{Lv1.1,Sv6}@250
|OpenWRT 21.02: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
twalp
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Nov 2020
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:14    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
twalp wrote:
Is there anything significant about the word "mini" in the filename "dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54gs.bin" when the word "micro" appears in the upper right corner firmware section of the DD-WRT starting page"?
That is significant cuz it's the wrong file, and too big to flash a 2MB router. Wink Only micro builds will flash to the GSv6. I've updated the wiki. Smile
E.g.:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/11-03-2020-r44715/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Btw, you should also reset and manually setup. But esp if you have any issues after upgrade.


Well thank you for such a major clarification! After finding tons of firmware files in the FTP site with "wrt54gs" in the filename, I don't recall ever seeing one with micro instead of mini in the same filename. Which Linksys 54GS are they for?? Does a "dd-wrt.v24_MICRO_wrt54gs.bin" file exist and if so where would I look for it, or should I skip searching and use the r44715 version you provide a link to?

And thank you for updating the wiki. When you write, "For big version changes... reset.." By reset do you mean do a 30-30-30 Hard Reset after the fw upgrade?
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2619
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:02    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail Reply with quote
twalp wrote:
Well thank you for such a major clarification! After finding tons of firmware files in the FTP site with "wrt54gs" in the filename, I don't recall ever seeing one with micro instead of mini in the same filename. Which Linksys 54GS are they for?? Does a "dd-wrt.v24_MICRO_wrt54gs.bin" file exist and if so where would I look for it, or should I skip searching and use the r44715 version you provide a link to?

And thank you for updating the wiki. When you write, "For big version changes... reset.." By reset do you mean do a 30-30-30 Hard Reset after the fw upgrade?
As you read the Peacock Announcement, you should know that builds with models/versions in the name are trailed, and normally not used for upgrading. Cool
Peacock wrote:
Trailed builds are builds with the router model in the name. [...] These builds are often necessary for initial flashing of a virgin router because they have the right header in the file that allows it to be flashed on the stock firmware. Once dd-wrt is installed, you should not use a trailed build, and should use a generic build
You should also read the Firmware FAQ, and it's link to (generic) Installation.

GUI reset (or via reset button - press until lights flash) is fine after upgrading; just don't select the option to reset when doing the upgrade. Smile

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 21.1.7|FT2021.2: EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302@532|DD 46854: DIR-810L, 4000@533,
R6300v1, RT-N66U@663, E1500@353, WRT54G{Lv1.1,Sv6}@250
|OpenWRT 21.02: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
twalp
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Nov 2020
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 17:03    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
As you read the Peacock Announcement, you should know that builds with models/versions in the name are trailed, and normally not used for upgrading. Cool
Peacock wrote:
Trailed builds are builds with the router model in the name. [...] These builds are often necessary for initial flashing of a virgin router because they have the right header in the file that allows it to be flashed on the stock firmware. Once dd-wrt is installed, you should not use a trailed build, and should use a generic build
You should also read the Firmware FAQ, and it's link to (generic) Installation.


Now the section about "trailed builds" in Peacock makes sense to me but back when I first arrived here to convert a 54GS to DD-WRT I had no idea that section was any more relevant to me than all the obscure sections and terms like EKO, K26, VINT, Brainslayer, corerev, newd2 k2.6, that preceded it. It's ALL there, and that's the problem for noobs.

Thank you jwh7 for your help here! Am I correct in presuming that once DD-WRT is installed a WRT54GS noob wanting to update its fw should head to one of the download locations cited in the Firmware FAQ, scroll to the most recent one, locate Broadcom, and use the bin file with micro-generic in the name?
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2619
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 14:33    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v6: post-install upgrades all fail Reply with quote
twalp wrote:
Am I correct in presuming that once DD-WRT is installed a WRT54GS noob wanting to update its fw should head to one of the download locations cited in the Firmware FAQ, scroll to the most recent one, locate Broadcom, and use the bin file with micro-generic in the name?
Yes, with the caveat that you first read the relevant build thread to make sure that version doesn't have reported issues... especially for your model (or at least kernel version). Unless you're comfortable with de-bricking. Cool

Unfortunately, reports of k2.4 (and k2.6) are not very common. Of course, people are more likely to post an issue than 'no problems' so that can also be a clue.

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 21.1.7|FT2021.2: EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302@532|DD 46854: DIR-810L, 4000@533,
R6300v1, RT-N66U@663, E1500@353, WRT54G{Lv1.1,Sv6}@250
|OpenWRT 21.02: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum