How can I get my devices to switch seamlessly to each router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
seanmichael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 13:57    Post subject: How can I get my devices to switch seamlessly to each router Reply with quote
Here is my setup:
ONT WAN > R7000 WAN > R7000 LAN > R7000P WAN in AP Mode

My R7000 currently has wifi disabled and it is handling DHCP. The R7000P in AP mode handles the wifi and that's it.

If I enable the wifi on both routers and had the same SSID and passwords, How can I get my devices to work seamlessly between each router when moving around? When I tried it the device would have to "reconnect" to the other wifi network even though I had the exact same settings. Im pretty sure neither of my devices have mesh capabilities... The main router (R7000) is current running XWRT Vortex by Merlin. The R7000P is just running the stock Netgear firmware. I will switch to DD-WRT if there's a way to solve my issue.

Any advice?
Sponsor
foz111
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just buy a mesh system to get seamless hand off's.
i use BT whole Home disc's with DD-WRT router wi-fi disabled.
I went though the old AP saga, device steering seemed to be the problem.
When using AP's they seemed to hold a connection until its out of range, (even using the same SSID), so if your connected to say the upstairs AP with only 1 bar and your sat next to the downstairs AP it will not connect to downstairs AP unless it goes out of range of the upstairs AP, that's what i found anyway.
I must admit i was using Old BT routers that had AC wi-fi as my ap's so unless buying proper ones helps i cant say.
I've never looked back buying my used mesh system, they do have there niggles like every other electronic device but for the cost they have been a great buy to be honest.
I am not an expert but that was my findings and my advice.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 21:02    Post subject: Re: How can I get my devices to switch seamlessly to each ro Reply with quote
seanmichael wrote:
If I enable the wifi on both routers and had the same SSID and passwords, How can I get my devices to work seamlessly between each router when moving around? When I tried it the device would have to "reconnect" to the other wifi network even though I had the exact same settings.
It depends on the client's threshold for AP signal quality vs roaming aggressiveness, and thus also how much your AP signals overlap. This threshold is normally not available to a user; an exception would be e.g. Intel wireless client drivers.

I have two E2500 DD AP's at opposite ends of my in-law's house that connect to a ~centered ISP-provided combo modem/router, and the roaming b/t all three works pretty well, but it varies per device.

|OpenWRT 19.7.5: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read that

Then this.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]45478 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45417 (2xOffsite)
[R7800]napping
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: