Asus RTN66U build suggestions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
pqatsi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello!

As 2020/Oct, is the latest beta (https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/10-13-2020-r44538/broadcom_K3X/) The recommended version?

Also, after all these changes including kernel major changes:

1) What is the status of NAT Acceleration? Also, does NAT Acceleration matters for this router?
2) I remember to have poor 2.4 and 5.8 performance in incredbly old versions (Reason I reverted my N66 to Last merlin version). Today the performance of Wireless is comparable or better than stock asus? How is wireless drivers being handled today inside dd-drt?

Thanks!
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please do not "hijack" other topics with your own issues you want solved despite the hardware being the same in the topic you hijack. I started a new post for this and you should always try to stay on topic within a post and not start a new topic.

This helps others find the same issue in the future and helps keep things clean and from turning into 100+ pages of reading.

As far as best build:

This is a loaded question and it really all comes down to what you plan on using the router for and what "extra" packages within DD-WRT you are planning on using.

The most basic answer is that the latest build is always the best built to start off with as it will have the most up-to-date drivers (Or best working drivers known at the time) for the particular device. That said, the newest build might, still, have bugs which leads in nicely to...the next place to look and watch are the specific build release topics that are intended to bring up any issues for a particular build, a particular router, and specific settings/features being used and which are working or not. Those are formatted to appear like this:

New Build - ##/##/20## - r#####

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
pqatsi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Please do not "hijack" other topics with your own issues you want solved despite the hardware being the same in the topic you hijack. I started a new post for this and you should always try to stay on topic within a post and not start a new topic.

This helps others find the same issue in the future and helps keep things clean and from turning into 100+ pages of reading.

As far as best build:

This is a loaded question and it really all comes down to what you plan on using the router for and what "extra" packages within DD-WRT you are planning on using.

The most basic answer is that the latest build is always the best built to start off with as it will have the most up-to-date drivers (Or best working drivers known at the time) for the particular device. That said, the newest build might, still, have bugs which leads in nicely to...the next place to look and watch are the specific build release topics that are intended to bring up any issues for a particular build, a particular router, and specific settings/features being used and which are working or not. Those are formatted to appear like this:

New Build - ##/##/20## - r#####

Hello

I'm sorry, as I found that post on Wiki, i guessed (wrongly) that post may be turned a new N66 reference post.

I dont mind a lot about packages inside router and I already know more or less the difference from mega and big versions. My main concern is about Broadcom wl driver issues and NAT Acceleration, since have years I dont touch this subject.

Afaik DD-WRT in difference with OpenWRT uses Broadcom proprietary wireless modules, so I dont know if this is the true DD-WRT development line and if it is, if it keeps that way. I saw DD-WRT changed kernel major version and in embedded world, this usually means a LOT of changes - specially when proprietary blobs are involved.

About NAT Acceleration, I dont know too if this is already supported or not and I can't find - for both questions - a precise information about this 2 limitations.

One more time, sorry a lot by the topic hijack and thank you for changing my awnser in a new post.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
pqatsi wrote:
As 2020/Oct, is the latest beta (https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/10-13-2020-r44538/broadcom_K3X/) The recommended version?

1) What is the status of NAT Acceleration? Also, does NAT Acceleration matters for this router?
2) I remember to have poor 2.4 and 5.8 performance in incredibly old versions (Reason I reverted my N66 to Last merlin version). Today the performance of Wireless is comparable or better than stock asus? How is wireless drivers being handled today inside dd-drt?
For the latest/recommended builds you should research relevant build threads. In general, use the latest unless people are reporting issues for the same model or at least kernel and NOR/NAND type. Wink

DD-WRT has used SFE software NAT acceleration for a couple years now; see the link in my signature. Only matters for non-bridge/AP modes. BS (DD's developer) has access to Broadcom's proprietary drivers. OpenWRT is on newer kernels that don't work well (if at all) with the driver blobs. Tomato sticks to the same kernel lineage so that it works w/ the OEM driver versions. And Merlin is just modified Asus OEM.

Also, the 'k3x' lineage migrated to k4.4 earlier this year. I do have a N66U w/ DD (and another with Tomato) but haven't tested it in a while. So...let us know how it goes. Cool

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
pqatsi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
pqatsi wrote:

2) I remember to have poor 2.4 and 5.8 performance in incredibly old versions (Reason I reverted my N66 to Last merlin version). Today the performance of Wireless is comparable or better than stock asus? How is wireless drivers being handled today inside dd-drt?
For the latest/recommended builds you should research relevant build threads. In general, use the latest unless people are reporting issues for the same model or at least kernel and NOR/NAND type. Wink

DD-WRT has used SFE software NAT acceleration for a couple years now; see the link in my signature. Only matters for non-bridge/AP modes. BS (DD's developer) has access to Broadcom's proprietary drivers. OpenWRT is on newer kernels that don't work well (if at all) with the driver blobs. Tomato sticks to the same kernel lineage so that it works w/ the OEM driver versions. And Merlin is just modified Asus OEM.

Also, the 'k3x' lineage migrated to k4.4 earlier this year. I do have a N66U w/ DD (and another with Tomato) but haven't tested it in a while. So...let us know how it goes. Cool

Hello @jwh7

Thanks for you attention. About SFE NAT, I'm happy enough with this, although my hAP AC2 does have better numbers with more or less equivalent hardware. But for me is just a curiosity (And I know mikrotik does not have NAT hardware accelerators, even with fastpath/fasttrack - that in a nutshell is just rmmod ipt*).

Wifi is a hellish thread here. I'm using DD-WRT v3.0-r44538 big (10/13/20) and 5.8 Wlan peforms very badly.

I found in this forum some instructions I've applied:

* Select manually a 5.8 channel above 100
* Select HT40 mode (But this router does not support HT80?)
* Device configured with https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point#Normal_Version_.28Same_Subnet.29 normal version w/o DHCP instructions.

2.4 Ghz network reachs no more than 300mbps on report but no more than 80mbps on Wifi.

5.8 reachs only 150/300 mbps (Down/UP) and speedtest reachs no more than 100mbps download and 150 mbps upload (My home connection is a 300/140 mbps).

Performance on 5.8 is very very poor comparing to asuswrt. Its a known issue? Some configuration to be applied that I missed? How should I configure advanced wireless tab?

Thank you for attention!
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
pqatsi wrote:
2.4 Ghz network reaches no more than 300mbps on report but no more than 80mbps on Wifi.

5.8 reachs only 150/300 mbps (Down/UP) and speedtest reaches no more than 100mbps download and 150 mbps upload (My home connection is a 300/140 mbps).

Performance on 5.8 is very very poor comparing to Asuswrt. Its a known issue? Some configuration to be applied that I missed? How should I configure advanced wireless tab?
You can find a ton of info here on wireless tuning... I keep wireless settings in DD pretty basic:

-If wireless mode is the default 'Mixed' try 'N*-Mixed'
-Ack timing (meters): depends on your neighbors and coverage area. I use 100 at my house; 200 at my parents, and 50 at the wife's condo. You can also try 0 (which I've used before too).
-BT Coexist: Preempt (for 2.4 GHz only)
-Preamble: Short should be faster, but test both Long and Short (depends on how many clients and/or their signal level; the info about this setting varies)
-Beacon Interval: test e.g. 241 and 173 (based on the prime number theory, though it has limited applicability given the asynchronous and multiplicative nature of acknowledgments)

Good luck! Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
pqatsi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
pqatsi wrote:
2.4 Ghz network reaches no more than 300mbps on report but no more than 80mbps on Wifi.

5.8 reachs only 150/300 mbps (Down/UP) and speedtest reaches no more than 100mbps download and 150 mbps upload (My home connection is a 300/140 mbps).

Performance on 5.8 is very very poor comparing to Asuswrt. Its a known issue? Some configuration to be applied that I missed? How should I configure advanced wireless tab?
You can find a ton of info here on wireless tuning... I keep wireless settings in DD pretty basic:

-If wireless mode is the default 'Mixed' try 'N*-Mixed'
-Ack timing (meters): depends on your neighbors and coverage area. I use 100 at my house; 200 at my parents, and 50 at the wife's condo. You can also try 0 (which I've used before too).
-BT Coexist: Preempt (for 2.4 GHz only)
-Preamble: Short should be faster, but test both Long and Short (depends on how many clients and/or their signal level; the info about this setting varies)
-Beacon Interval: test e.g. 241 and 173 (based on the prime number theory, though it has limited applicability given the asynchronous and multiplicative nature of acknowledgments)

Good luck! Smile

EDIT: Forum ate my post Razz

Hello!

I did the configuration you suggested and found better results than before, but less from what I expect (Specially about stability).

I'm searching forum about configs and guides but its too much posts about it and the specific behavior and configs for broadcom and asus router is a bit messy for me yet.

Is there a reference documentation about how to choose options (Specially the broadcom specific behavior)? I found tons and tons of information on the forum but some of them is a bit contradictory or inconclusive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: