Stuck @ DD-WRT Control Panel after Flashing - Help get back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
jimzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
I keep a few notes from the new-build thread of each new release. For 40167 my note says only "GUI disaster, recovery difficulty, build should be unposted." Never load a build without reading through its new-build thread first.

The previous build, 40134, was a decent one for my WRT1900ACSv2. If you need a build of that rough vintage for some reason, check its new-build thread for comments on the 1200 (user Monza generally reports on the 1200). Or take a look at 44048 or the latest build as alternatives. But get away from 40167 if you can. Those words "recovery difficulty" are ominous. I've only noted similar in one other build since I started taking notes.

Well that explains alot! I have never flashed a router before and this has definitely been an experience!

I am not sure what to do. I am not familiar with Putty or telnet. Since I can't access the UI, I can't direct it to another .bin file. Is there a suggested manner to which I can try and flash another build?

Thank you again for all the help from everyone!
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the "Cliff Notes" sticky post near the top of the Marvell forum and note the part about using three power cycles to boot into the other partition. That would be the usual approach if you had taken care not to overwrite that partition with a second copy of a bad dd-wrt build. If you have overwritten the Linksys firmware, however, it gets messier. Read over the new-build thread to see if there are other insights, but the ultimate de-bricking approach is a flash using a serial-to-TTL (IIRC, as I've never done it) cable carefully attached to the router's innards. Search. Much has been written on the procedure. And perhaps another reader here can chime in with suggestions or a link.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Read the "Cliff Notes" sticky post near the top of the Marvell forum and note the part about using three power cycles to boot into the other partition. That would be the usual approach if you had taken care not to overwrite that partition with a second copy of a bad dd-wrt build. If you have overwritten the Linksys firmware, however, it gets messier. Read over the new-build thread to see if there are other insights, but the ultimate de-bricking approach is a flash using a serial-to-TTL (IIRC, as I've never done it) cable carefully attached to the router's innards. Search. Much has been written on the procedure. And perhaps another reader here can chime in with suggestions or a link.

Surpriseditworks here has the best suggestion and advice to get out of the mess. Although I don't run my 1200 V1 heavily I do still use it. Right now it is being used as a 2.4Ghz AP only since I can't use my 3200 2.4Ghz without workarounds. I re-iterate the part about the three time power cycle to get back to the Linksys partition. You may have to play the timing of the on-off cycles a few times to get it right. This is assuming that you have not overwritten the original partition as was indicated. I personnally have had your situation a few times but have always been able to recover to other partition. The other important note here to read the comments on the various builds before ding an upgrade. Me bad for that which gt me in trouble before. As of now my best goto build for all my routers is r44048. I am running r44483 on my 1200 but as I said it is a simple single frequency AP. I mention this as I have found a lot of builds that work on the 1200 for basic operation but overall for all my routers I would still recommend r44048.
I return to the power cycle partition switchover to mention that in one case last year it took me over 20 tries to accomplish where I was absolutely positive that the router was bricked and had resolved to the fact I had to use TTL upgrade. But because I am naturely stubborn the next day I tried again. After 3 attempts the router finally switched partitions and I was able to fully recover.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55819 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55819 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power switch method to change boot partition is described here.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=316324
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: