Use a Router as a WIRED repeater (WiFi only for input)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Kyliathy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 16:09    Post subject: Use a Router as a WIRED repeater (WiFi only for input) Reply with quote
Hello Smile. I own an Asus RT66U (so, I guess this is the right forum to post this in). This Router has a Repeater mode.

I connect to the internet via a mobile phone Access Point. Now, I would like to connect a device via cable.

I think you see where I'm going now.

I don't want extra WiFi emission. What I want is for my Asus router to be a Repeater, but only for the Ethernet ports. I want it to connect to my mobile phone Access Point (which it already does), to give internet via the Ethernet ports (which it already does) but to DISABLE both its WiFi networks.

With the vanilla firmware, this is not possible.

Can it be done with DD-WRT?

Thank you for reading this! Smile
Sponsor
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
So just disable the extra radio?

Last edited by bushant on Sun Sep 20, 2020 16:29; edited 1 time in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes that can be done.

See forum guidelines in my signature at the bottom of this post where and what to download and other useful information.

Linking routers: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

See client bridge or client

IPSET: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327261
Install guide R6400v2:http://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316399
Install guide R7800: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Kyliathy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, such a fast answer. You guys rock here Smile. Thank you! Time to get flashing then Very Happy

bushant: the thing is, even when my router is connected to my phone, I still can connect to both 2.4 and 5 ghz radios with my laptop. So are there 3 radios on it?

Is there a page in DD-WRT where I can disable antennas? If so, that seems like the perfect solution. But then why is the setup for Client Mode simply not say: connect to AP, disable radios? Smile

egc: thank you Smile. I was actually looking through the docs and I saw the Client Bridge, but when I dug deeper I came across " Client Bridge will never be as stable as any of those modes. It is by design a hack and not a true transparent bridge like WDS."

But I get it. You probably mean Client MODE. I don't understand one thing: in Client MODE, why do I have to set the SSID to exactly match the primary router? I thought the idea is to connect to my phone AP via username and password. Shouldn't matter what SSID I got. I just want to connect to the AP and deliver via ethernet ports, with all other radios disabled Smile

www.github.com/Kyliathy
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I missed the fact you are still on stock firmware.

No AFAIK you only have two radios.

With DD-WRT one radio could be Repeater mode (no broadcast) with other radio disabled and Lan ports supply access for wired devices.

I have never connected to a phone AP so I may have to try that so I know more.

EDIT: R6200v2 Wlan Repeater mode wl0 connected to android phone hotspot using SSID.
wl1 Wireless Network Mode disabled.
Lan cable from router to laptop = working internet.

Pretty simple.
Kyliathy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:

EDIT: R6200v2 Wlan Repeater mode wl0 connected to android phone hotspot using SSID.

Pretty simple.

bushant wrote:

Pretty simple.

@bushant & @egc you sirs are golden Smile. And this Forum and this community is golden Smile. I've been reading Peacock thread and other instructions for 3-4 hours in the past 2 days. I got a bit scared by all the warnings and perceived difficulty (which is why it also took me a long time to finally get this done; what provided extra motivation was my wifi dongle starting to get on my nerves REALLY badly - ironically it's also made by ASUS - USB N-13).

But in the end, it was a relatively simple flash, way simpler than the rooting I was doing to Android phones a decade ago. Was a bit nervous while it properly initialized (I got a weird ASUS page saying I should upgrade to the latest firmware). But was patient, and after a power cycle things worked just fine.

@bushant your instruction to simply disable the antenna worked quite well and easy, as you said.

@egc repeater mode FTW!

SUCCESS! Smile. Thank you! And despite all the rumors of DD-WRT instability for this model, I don't plan to use Wireless or advanced features so hoping I'll find it working tomorrow as well Very Happy.

www.github.com/Kyliathy
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kyliathy wrote:
bushant: the thing is, even when my router is connected to my phone, I still can connect to both 2.4 and 5 ghz radios with my laptop. So are there 3 radios on it?
Repeater connects to a client, then re-broadcasts the same SSID on a VAP. So you have two radios, with 1 client connection (to your phone hotspot/AP) and a broadcast from each of the two radios.
Kyliathy wrote:
Is there a page in DD-WRT where I can disable antennas? If so, that seems like the perfect solution. But then why is the setup for Client Mode simply not say: connect to AP, disable radios? Smile

egc: thank you Smile. I was actually looking through the docs and I saw the Client Bridge, but when I dug deeper I came across " Client Bridge will never be as stable as any of those modes. It is by design a hack and not a true transparent bridge like WDS."

But I get it. You probably mean Client MODE. I don't understand one thing: in Client MODE, why do I have to set the SSID to exactly match the primary router? I thought the idea is to connect to my phone AP via username and password. Shouldn't matter what SSID I got. I just want to connect to the AP and deliver via ethernet ports, with all other radios disabled Smile
If you want one radio to connect to your phone (for the router ethernet) but not have wireless broadcast from either radio, then you want Client Bridge mode. I didn't get the comment about the Client mode and phone username/password; are you just referring to the SSID and password? Repeater and Client modes are the same, except that a repeater re-broadcasts the same SSID from which it is connecting.

That note about Client bridge applies just the same to Repeater bridge mode. The issue is if you have multiple clients, you will get collisions due to the mac non-traversal.

The non-bridging repeater/client modes don't have this issue because of the gateway and SPI firewall. Bridging modes are less taxing on the router (if one is using a really old/slow device - you aren't), but it's generally better to use non-bridging modes when possible (ie if you don't need the phone or internet to access the clients).

|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: