Assign Ports to Same Subnet As Guest Network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mbwd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:05    Post subject: Assign Ports to Same Subnet As Guest Network Reply with quote
I have a working wireless guest network, which is on a separate subnet than the main network (guest: 192.168.2.1; main: 192.168.1.1). I want to be able to cast to all wireless and some wired devices using the guest network. To do this, I need several ports (say 3 and 4) to be on the same subnet as the guest network.

I tried to follow the general idea of this post and assigning my wired ports to a new VLAN (VLAN3), with its Port Setup using the same IP Address as the guest network (wl0.1) -- then assigning a different Start in the Multiple DHCP Server section (e.g., VLAN3>Start:50, Max 49; wl0.1>Start:100, Max 49).

The result was that the wired ports worked and had internet, but they did not follow the DCHP settings and were outside the set range for VLAN3 (e.g.192.168.2.138). The guest network stopped serving internet at all.

Is there a way to get the physical ports 3 and 4 to be on the same subnet as the guest network so that I can cast to both wired and wireless devices on that 192.168.2.x subnet?
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cast?? Do you mean cast as in use Chromecast between/across the networks?
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
leave your wireless guest net (wl0.1 or wl1.1) & whatever physical ports you put into a VLAN as bridged
then assign all of them to a bridge such as br1

you would then set IP/netmask for br1 only and created
DHCP server for br1 ... that will put wireless guest + VLANs on same subnet so you should be able to cast or whatever else you are doing just fine.

I've been doing that for years cause my VIZO TV is wired to main router port 4 which is on same subnet as my guest net.

but then again I use a IPQ806x Qualcomm main router but works same on oldass broadcomy E2500 I setup same way just in case I break current main router for whatever reason Twisted Evil
mbwd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks @mrjcd! That sounds perfect. Would you mind giving a little more detail on the steps? For some reason, VLANs and bridges don't work in my mind, so it helps a lot to have more info on what is done at each step.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
alright then maybe this will help some ---

mbwd,
see --> https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320028
my post there has a link to what I did and it's still on my server:
http://mrjcd.com/junk/dd-wrt/E2500/E2500_r33555/
that was done on old build r33555
but works same on the E2500 with build r43028 ...last one I used on the poor old thing setup as main

You should always state what router you are using.
NOTE:
The E2500 broadcom unit is a bit diiferent than most others when creating VLANs.
Most likely you will not have to do the CLI commands like I done.

This depends on what router you have --- look in the DD-WRT wiki...
mbwd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got it -- will try that this weekend and report back. The router is a TP-Link Archer C8.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
mbwd wrote:
Got it -- will try that this weekend and report back. The router is a TP-Link Archer C8.
prolly others can tell you 'bout doing VLAN & such on that cause I never owned any TP-Link anything Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: