Help setting up port#vlans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 5807
Location: Romerike, Norway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
New build is out:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/09-10-2020-r44340/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-44340_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNR3500L.chk
Sponsor
inxsible
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 03 Sep 2020
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
New build is out:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/09-10-2020-r44340/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-44340_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNR3500L.chk
Sorry for the delayed reply, but I went through a process of installing the factory firmware back on the device in hopes that it would support VLANs -- but it doesn't. So my search for a newer DD-wrt build continues.

does this build # 44340 work with WNR3500Lv1 ? I have read reports that build# 33555 mega works on this device, but how would i select a build that would work, say in the K26 versions or even in the K3X versions?

Do I have to keep searching for posts where a user has successfully been able to install a particular build on the device that I have?
egc
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 6399
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
inxsible wrote:
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
New build is out:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/09-10-2020-r44340/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-44340_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNR3500L.chk
Sorry for the delayed reply, but I went through a process of installing the factory firmware back on the device in hopes that it would support VLANs -- but it doesn't. So my search for a newer DD-wrt build continues.

does this build # 44340 work with WNR3500Lv1 ? I have read reports that build# 33555 mega works on this device, but how would i select a build that would work, say in the K26 versions or even in the K3X versions?

Do I have to keep searching for posts where a user has successfully been able to install a particular build on the device that I have?


If you want to be sure the answer is yes.

If you can recover your router easily from a bad build (TFTP or rescue mode or serial or whatever) you can take a chance.

Another good indication is if someone else is reporting about the K3X build, like users with a Linksys E2000 (like myself) if other users with another router are reporting success for the K3X build than the chances are high it will work for you too, see what routers are using that build in the download directory : ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/09-24-2020-r44467/broadcom_K3X/

Note that a lot of builds have the same size!

N.B. if it works please report in the build thread so that others know

_________________
Routers:Netgear R7800, R6400v1, R6400v2, Linksys EA8500, EA6900 (XvortexCFE), E2000 (converted WRT320N), WRT54GS v1.
OpenVPN Policy Based Routing: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321686
Install guide R6400v2:http://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316399
OpenVPN Server Setup:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318795
Install guide R7800: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614
Wireguard Server setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1183135
Wireguard Client setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324624
Wireguard Advanced setup guide:https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324787
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
inxsible
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 03 Sep 2020
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
inxsible wrote:
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
New build is out:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/09-10-2020-r44340/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-44340_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNR3500L.chk
Sorry for the delayed reply, but I went through a process of installing the factory firmware back on the device in hopes that it would support VLANs -- but it doesn't. So my search for a newer DD-wrt build continues.

does this build # 44340 work with WNR3500Lv1 ? I have read reports that build# 33555 mega works on this device, but how would i select a build that would work, say in the K26 versions or even in the K3X versions?

Do I have to keep searching for posts where a user has successfully been able to install a particular build on the device that I have?


If you want to be sure the answer is yes.

If you can recover your router easily from a bad build (TFTP or rescue mode or serial or whatever) you can take a chance.

Another good indication is if someone else is reporting about the K3X build, like users with a Linksys E2000 (like myself) if other users with another router are reporting success for the K3X build than the chances are high it will work for you too, see what routers are using that build in the download directory : ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/09-24-2020-r44467/broadcom_K3X/

Note that a lot of builds have the same size!

N.B. if it works please report in the build thread so that others know


Thanks. I think I will try the latest build and hope that it works.

One last question before I proceed though. The Wiki page for WNR3500L mentions that the K3X builds don't have chk firmware and users must already have DD-wrt running before trying to upgrade to any K3X builds.

But the link that you provided for the K3X builds seems to have a CHK firmware for WNR3500L and also for WNR3500U. Is the Wiki outdated? Can I use either one for my model which is labeled as WNR3500L/WNR3500U?

Secondly I noticed that the WNR3500L CHK firmware under the K26 folders seems to be around 3.4MB whereas the WNR3500L CHK build under the K3X folders seem to be around 7.2MB. Would it be safe to use either one of them before putting the actual corresponding .BIN firmware?


Thanks again for helping out...
inxsible
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 03 Sep 2020
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like I might have bricked my device by using the latest 44467 CHK file.

Here are the steps that I followed from the WNR3500L wiki page

After doing a 30/30/30 reset,
I uploaded the firmware from the K26 builds. Specifically ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/09-24-2020-r44467/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-44467_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk

and then waited 5 mins before doing another 30/30/30 reset.

But then I couldn't get back to the WebUI using the 192.168.1.1 address. So I thought I'd check using ping. But I only got "Request timed out"

Checked the Peacock thread and then while checking with ping -t, I noticed that I get somewhere between 9 to 13 replies only while booting up the device. The TTL is 100 for each of those replies. Then to check I just enabled the WiFi on the laptop and saw the ddwrt SSID -- Connected to it hoping that would allow me to get into the WebUI ... but I still cannot connect to 192.168.1.1

As per Peacock, that TTL=100 means CFE is responding but only for about 13 responses? Rolling Eyes
I left it sitting as is overnight and in the morning on logging into my laptop I saw 2 responses with TTL 64 -- so that means ddwrt is responding. Shocked

So as per Peacock, I satisfy all 3 conditions:
  • CFE is responding -- only for max 13 responses.
  • ddwrt/linux is responding -- for 2 responses
  • I am getting request timed out most of the time = brick


Trying to get the tftp to run within that 13 response times has been unsuccessful so far....
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum