Installing Transmission on DIR-882

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
anchit02
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:53    Post subject: Installing Transmission on DIR-882 Reply with quote
Has anyone installed Transmission using Entware on D-Link DIR-882? I was looking for some guidance on how to go about doing this. I looked about the forum and could not find any specific instruction for this router. If anyone has been able to install Entware and Transmission, please help me.
Thanks.
Sponsor
anchit02
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:14    Post subject: Will this process work? Reply with quote
Also, I was wondering will the process given in this link work for the router?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Transmission_daemon
anchit02
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been doing some research and it I could not find a whole lot of information out on the internet about how to get Transmission or any torrent client installed on this particular router. So I would like to use this thread to set up show the step by step process with the help of some people who are waaay more smarter then me to help me get this done...at least that is the idea so far.

To get the basic information out of the way:
Router: D-Link DIR-882 H/W:A1
DD-WRT Firmware: R43718 std (07/09/20)

Observations so far:
1) USB drives are not detected in either of the ports until you do the following:
Administration >> Commands:
insmod xhci-mtk.ko
Save Startup

This was suggested on a different post here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326155

2) Once the above command line is saved and the router is rebooted, then USB is detected and the shares and SAMBA works fine. However, if you remove the drive on the USB port, the USB device still shows as mounted on the disk info section under Service-> USB Web UI. I found this strange, but not sure how to fix this issue.

Now, on to installing Transmission from the link posted on my first post, everything works fine till I get to the part about "Starting and Stopping Transmission to get the Basic work folder"

When I execute the following command using Putty
Code:
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon

I get an error message saying that it is an illegal command in putty.

If anyone want to chime in to help, please feel free to do so.
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI!

Is it possible to install Entware instead of (deprecated) Optware, on your D-Link?

And how is your DD-WRT USB-NAS mounting structure? Is it different from Arheros TP-Link "SDA, SDA1, SDA2..." structure?

Rgs.
anchit02
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 20:52    Post subject: Entware for DIR-882 Reply with quote
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I've found a comment on the github page for Entware which suggests that Entware can be installed on this router. Please go to this link an review the comments, there is only 3 comments so its a very quick read.
https://github.com/Entware/Entware/issues/277

Based on the last comment, I think it is possible to install Entware on this router, however, the architecture is mipsel, not mips. I think the Arheros TP-Link router was mips. So, I'm not sure how the code to install entware will change.

In terms or mounting structure, it looks exactly the same as the Arheros TP-Link router. I've attached a 8GB USB driver formatted with 7.5GB NFTS partition (SDA1), and OPT formatted as ETX3. I'm attaching the picture of the Disk Info section from the USB page of the DIR-882 router running DD-WRT.
msantos2007
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi!

Entware is pretty straightforward. The difference between mips and mipsel, regard to installation, is just the directory where you're getting the setup script from.

What error you're getting from it when you tried to install Entware?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: