Static Leases via GUI vs ... [Solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 22:32    Post subject: Static Leases via GUI vs ... [Solved] Reply with quote
When I had my static leases set up in the DDWRT GUI, the LAN status page showed all my devices with their given hostname. However, since I switched to doing it all through Additional Dnsmasq Options, I am only getting about one forth of my hostnames. The others are all filled with * for the hostname.

Here is how I entered them:
Code:

dhcp-host=00:00:00:B1:9F:4A,Yeelight1,192.168.254.202,3600
dhcp-host=00:00:00:B4:3B:E0,Yeelight2,192.168.254.203,3600
dhcp-host=00:00:00:B1:CF:39,Yeelight3,192.168.254.204,3600
dhcp-host=00:00:00:37:B7:E0,PorchCamera,192.168.254.146,3600
dhcp-host=00:00:00:38:81:49,DrivewayCamera,192.168.254.153,3600

All three Yeelights show up with hostnames. Neither of the cameras do. They once did when using the GUI to enter the static leases. My devices appear to be getting the proper IPs, just the hostnames are not following through. What am I doing wrong here for it to be leaving out most of the hostnames?

This is on my EA8500 w/r44236

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248

Last edited by lexridge on Fri Sep 04, 2020 14:46; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only thing I find unusual is your use of '3600' for the least time. Normally that should be qualified (e.g., 3600m for minutes, which if you were using the GUI, it would have specified in the DNSMasq config file). Seems a little unusual too. Seems like most ppl would prefer 3600 seconds (1h). Anyway, for all I know, this has nothing to do w/ the problem, but it's all I can guess at the moment.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my experience the names will appear once the leases are renewed. Devices apparently behave differently.
In my case, over time, only two asterisks remain. One is the gateway and the other is my DNS server, a raspberry pi zero, which runs pihole. It has a reserved IP and a name per additional options like other hosts, but the name never shows in the table on the LAN page. The router, an R7800, does DHCP, the pi-hole only DNS. LAN name resolution works fine. I have entered all hosts in the pihole's local DNS table.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, good catch! Yes, it is supposed to be seconds (3600s). Thank you for catching that! As I auto reboot my router every morning at 4am, the leases never had a chance to get renewed, therefore, never getting the hostnames apparently. I never knew the hostnames were only added after a dhcp renew. Adding back the 3600s fixed the problem. Thank you both.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some devices behave really oddlly. E.g. my LG smart-TV (quite dumb actually, without the attached Chromecast module) will not take the IP address reserved for it based on its MAC-address. The only way to make it use the designated IP is to manually set the address in the GUI on the TV ...

Whatever I have tried to make it forget the address it once got from the assigned address space of the DHCP server in the router, it will ALWAYS go back to that address whenever I activate 'automatic' on the TV Ethernet network settings and ignore the reservation.
I don't know any other device that behaves so annoyingly.

It doesn't care even when I adjust the address in the leases file kept by the router on the JFFS-thumbdrive I use. The TV just ignores everything else, except its own manual settings or what it has in its 'elephant memory' somewhere.

I would reset the dog, but excluding encoded channels that it cannot decode, is such a chore that I haven't attempted a total reset just for the single purpose of making it adhere to reasonable DHCP behaviour, it it even will ...

Excluding encoded and therefore unuseable channels one by one after checking manually whether you can see anything there at many seconds per channel, is another utterly stupid design decision, IMO. There can be a hundred or more of those and there should really be a single setting for excluding every channel that it cannot decoded, full stop.
The firmware of the TV was even updated one or twice .... but no developer caught these dysfunctionalities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: