OpenVPN Private Internet Access client setup for NextGen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 14:34    Post subject: Re: Best practice - encryption and data ciphers... Reply with quote
a15995 wrote:
Hello!
FYI: PIA has closed down the nl.privacy.network (92.119.179.123 - not responding) - use nl-amsterdam.privacy.network (143.244.43.71) instead (seems a bit slower though)...
Thanks,

Same with some US servers.
I have two routers were using 2 different servers and both lost connections (yesterday I think-name does not resolve).
Switching to IP addresses did not help.
Had to search the nexgen files for working servers Twisted Evil

Glad @egc was way ahead of this with nexgen setup guide. Thank You!

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

Sponsor
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
To take IPV6 out of the mix while correcting some of PIA's seemingly confused settings for GCM over NextGen, adding the following to the DD-WRT Additional Config seems to help:

resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
auth sha256
ncp-disable
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
pull-filter ignore "auth-token"
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "route-ipv6"
auth-nocache
fast-io
sndbuf 300000
rcvbuf 300000
compress
verb 0
reneg-sec 3600
disable-occ
<crl-verify>
-----BEGIN X509 CRL-----
{copy/paste X509 cert here}
-----END X509 CRL-----
</crl-verify>

Note that "ncp-disable" is needed for OpenVPN GCM (but not CBC) to work over PIA NextGen, but that it's also a deprecated command slated for removal in OpenVPN 2.6. Thus, PIA will either have to make changes or GCM may no longer be workable over PIA NextGen in the future. I'm with @egc on some of the recent PIA issues combined with their delay in supporting WireGuard router configs. My guess is that they're intentionally dumbing down their offerings to focus on a particular market niche. YMMV

Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
chong67
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:34    Post subject: Could not get it to work Reply with quote
I could not get it to work.

I have the latest build : DD-WRT v3.0-r46446 std (04/24/21)

Anyone else successful?

Thanks.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep it works for me...if its not working for you, it means you didn't follow the settings...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have scripts for connecting PIA wireguard, transmission and portforwarding
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330429&start=15

wireguard works much better than openvpn
pongman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometime in the last few weeks my openvpn on DD-WRT stopped and will not start. After a lot of reading and searching I have found this thread. I was connected to a PIA server via IP address and using AES 128 + SHA1. Perhaps that server was dropped from service. Unfortunately trying other servers has not alleviated the problem. The settings I have used have worked just fine for about 2 years, even through firmware upgrades. Now, even though I have not changed anything, something is broken. So I assume this has to do with the changes in openvpn 2.5 as discussed in the guide and around places. Somewhere I picked up that 2.5 won't let you use IPs with PIA, so made a change there too.

The DDWRT OpenVPN Client setup guide just links back to this thread. So, where do we find the PIA specific settings? I'm assuming that my openvpon doesn't start because I have a setting incorrect.

Things I have done:
1. I found a guide on PIA's website and followed it to a T, but I cannot get the openvpn to start. Each time I make changes, I apply, then restart my router via the webgui.Figure this is out of date.
2. Changed the PIA server from IP to known namesakes
3. Upgraded DDWRT to r47692
4. Tried using a setup that uses AES 128 +SHA1 (found on youtube), as well as AES256+SH256
Each setup has different values to be entered under "additional config" and "Ca Cert".
5. I read this guide
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327398
One thing for sure, I won't be using an IP, just namesake now.

My current hardware setup:
Router Model: Netgear 7800
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r47692 std (11/28/21)

Upgraded from: DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (08/12/21)
Reset: Yes

Under status>openvpn, all fields are blank, so nothing is even connecting.

My idea for fix:
Clearly something has changed with 2.5 OPNVPN, I think without question there is an issue with my config. Perhaps I need to reduce what is in additional config. I know changing from IP to a name will help too but is not the complete answer.

Thank you for your assistance

Last edited by pongman on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:46; edited 4 times in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you bother reading the OP and the attached guide that was updated in March of this year?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1216021

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably added things in the Additional config.

Almost everything can/should be setup via the GUI, golden rule:
Do not put anything in the Additional Config Smile

OpenVPN guides are a sticky in this forum:

There is an OpenVPN Client setup guide with specific instructions for a lot of providers including PIA.

I cannot guarantee it is all up to date but usually a hell of a lot better than what the providers tell you.

If you cannot get it to work, post a screenshot of your OpenVPN settings page and everything you have (wrongly) put in the Additional Config Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
here are the settings you need

also use the large 4k Cert in CA Cert section make sure you paste it correctly..the one that starts with
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIHqzCCBZOgAwIBAgIJAJ0u+vODZJntMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBDQUAMIHoMQswCQYD

in additional config, i do have some stuff too, but its not needed anyway, but ill share it..

verb 5
pull-filter ignore "dhcp-option DNS"
reneg-sec 0
keepalive 10 120
server-poll-timeout 10
remote nl-amsterdam.privacy.network 1197
remote uk-southampton.privacy.network 1197
remote ro.privacy.network 1197

bear in mind...unless you need it for a specific purpose/reason....you can turn off SFE option from Basic Setup page...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
pongman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
here are the settings you need

also use the large 4k Cert in CA Cert section make sure you paste it correctly..the one that starts with
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIHqzCCBZOgAwIBAgIJAJ0u+vODZJntMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBDQUAMIHoMQswCQYD

in additional config, i do have some stuff too, but its not needed anyway, but ill share it..

verb 5
pull-filter ignore "dhcp-option DNS"
reneg-sec 0
keepalive 10 120
server-poll-timeout 10
remote nl-amsterdam.privacy.network 1197
remote uk-southampton.privacy.network 1197
remote ro.privacy.network 1197

bear in mind...unless you need it for a specific purpose/reason....you can turn off SFE option from Basic Setup page...

Those are interesting things. I will search the ones I dont' know and find out what they do. Thank you for offering a screen shot.
There is so much wrong / outdated /incomplete information out there it gets difficult to mine through it all. Having recently upgraded my firmware, 1st/2nd/3rd data ciphers weren't even an option until that upgrade. Cheers

Last edited by pongman on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:50; edited 1 time in total
pongman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
You probably added things in the Additional config.

Almost everything can/should be setup via the GUI, golden rule:
Do not put anything in the Additional Config Smile

OpenVPN guides are a sticky in this forum:

There is an OpenVPN Client setup guide with specific instructions for a lot of providers including PIA.

I cannot guarantee it is all up to date but usually a hell of a lot better than what the providers tell you.

If you cannot get it to work, post a screenshot of your OpenVPN settings page and everything you have (wrongly) put in the Additional Config Smile

Thank you for your assistance. It felt strange to delete everything in my 'additional config' as it has worked for years. However, once I did that (plus using a name server and not IP) - the openvpn service started after I rebooted the router. Thanks
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
its odd why PIA suggests using an IP instead of name server...but provides a list of names too...
from one side its a good and more precise, as well it doesn't need DNS to resolve the IP...but using a name gives you a chance to get one of the IP's as they are few in the stack behind the name...

and their DDWRT guide must be updated i tried to contact them and provided a new details...but still no update on it..
since a 2-3 years their customer support went down dramatically...on few occasions they ware not elaborative at all...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: