Wifi not working with WEP enabled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
stealer0517
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 20:07    Post subject: Wifi not working with WEP enabled Reply with quote
Hello, I recently installed DD-WRT on my Asus RT-N66U.
Specifically: DD-WRT v3.0-r44251 big (08/28/20)

Whenever I enable WEP and try to connect to my network I run into two issues on different computers.
1. my modern MBP connects, but I don't get an IP address via DHCP.
If I specify one I still can't access anything.
2. on my old PowerBook G4 running 10.5 I simply get the error incorrect password despite the password being correct.
I have a password set, I clicked generate and all 4 keys populated, and I clicked apply at the bottom.

Is there a bug with WEP that causes this sort of an issue, or am I doing something wrong?
I had the exact same issue on an older Linksys router
As expected ethernet works fine, connecting and dhcp works fine without encryption.

Yes I know I shouldn't be using WEP.
This isn't for modern devices, and it's either WEP or nothing.
I'll be setting up a MAC filter and cranking the broadcast power all the way down.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the wifi mode. WEP, at best, works up to G mode (from what I recall). You might only be able to do up to B if g mode won't work.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
WPA2 Personal / AES is the minimum recommendation for wi-fi security. WEP/TKIP are both insecure, and I have not tested those lately to see if they even work with the wireless drivers at all.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
stealer0517
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Check the wifi mode. WEP, at best, works up to G mode (from what I recall). You might only be able to do up to B if g mode won't work.

Thanks, I didn't even think of that before.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006697/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Quote:
The IEEE* 802.11n draft prohibits using high throughput with WEP or TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (for example, WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps. The latest Intel® wireless adapter client drivers connect using a legacy IEEE 802.11g connection rather than failing to connect altogether, which complies with the IEEE 802.11n draft.

I didn't check the connection type before, but my modern MacBook probably switched to G automatically, while the older PowerBook just didn't know what to do since it's too old.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on what wi-fi adapter is in the MacBook or PowerBook. If they are both Broadcom, shouldn't have been an issue. I can't even remember if the PowerBooks even supported WPA/WPA2.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
stealer0517
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried switching to B/G mode and still ran into the same issue.
I'm going to assume it's a bug that only weirdos like me would care about and not even worth attempting to fix.

This is only really an issue for my very early PowerBooks from ~2000-2003.
My later models support WPA2 just fine so I'll only power this legacy network on as needed.

I didn't even notice but both my router, MacBook, and Powerbook are all broadcom chipsets.

I also find it disturbing that latest "vintage" machine (2005) is closer in age to my current MacBook (2012) than it is to 2020.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI! Even for old devices that only support WEP, if they at least have an ethernet port, you could use a wireless ethernet bridge as a wireless replacement and not have to resort to WEP. Even devices dating back 30 years ago, long before the internet, let alone wifi, can be made wireless using this technique.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
boochi99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can break into your wep protected network in less than a minute. Can't you get a cheap usb nic?
stealer0517
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
boochi99 wrote:
I can break into your wep protected network in less than a minute. Can't you get a cheap usb nic?

No. And if I did I don’t think an operating system from 1999 and was last updated in 2001 would support wpa2.
You’d also have to break onto my property and potentially into my house to get the signal, get around the MAC address filter, and be there on a day when it’s turned on.

I’m not really worried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: