Can I use my TP-Link router as wi-fi receiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Ukim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 19:54    Post subject: Can I use my TP-Link router as wi-fi receiver? Reply with quote
Hi guys,
I use a public hotspot (not free) as my main internet. But the signal is not good in my room, so I currently use a laptop in another room as a wi-fi adapter and then share the internet connection to my main PC using an ethernet cable.

I want to replace the laptop with my TP-Link router (TL-WR740N) which has dd-wrt firmware installed. I have known from googling that the router can be used as a wifi receiver but the problem is that the hotspot I am connected to has a captive portal. Is there anyway I can make it work?

Thank you and I'd be glad if anyone can help.

ummok.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.92 KB
 Viewed:  181 Time(s)

ummok.png

Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you're looking for is a router that supports client mode (aka, WISP router). Whether it's supported w/ dd-wrt varies from chipset to chipset. IIRC, TP-Link is usually Atheros, and I think they call it Client (Routed) mode.

Btw, if the signal is still weak, you might be better off w/ a dedicated device for these purposes. One that has a uni-directional rather than an omni-directional antenna. The latter is ideal for the home, where most are using it as an AP, and users are distributed in all directions around it. When using client mode and dealing w/ a specifically targeted AP (esp. if it's remotely located), a lot of signal gets wasted because 95% of it is NOT directed at the AP.

ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh (UPDATED!)
ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh
ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh
ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh
ddwrt-pptp-policy-based-routing.sh
Ukim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
What you're looking for is a router that supports client mode (aka, WISP router). Whether it's supported w/ dd-wrt varies from chipset to chipset. IIRC, TP-Link is usually Atheros, and I think they call it Client (Routed) mode.

Btw, if the signal is still weak, you might be better off w/ a dedicated device for these purposes. One that has a uni-directional rather than an omni-directional antenna. The latter is ideal for the home, where most are using it as an AP, and users are distributed in all directions around it. When using client mode and dealing w/ a specifically targeted AP (esp. if it's remotely located), a lot of signal gets wasted because 95% of it is NOT directed at the AP.

I did as you said and setup my router as a client mode, then do a mac address cloning to be the same as my PC and it works like a charm. Thank you very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: