Tri-Stream on WRT3200ACM?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
7heblackwolf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 0:39    Post subject: Tri-Stream on WRT3200ACM? Reply with quote
I was wondering.. Does DD-WRT will support tri-stream-like (or tri-band) support on Marvell devices?

I mean, the device already has a physical radio (ath2 aka "PIFA Antenna") that becomes useless when moving to DD-WRT. But what about the second 5Ghz radio that unlocks the tri-stream support? It's already planned to give support on that or it's something that was discarded long time ago due some kind of limitation?

Asking since seems like no one is asking for this and everyone falls into the common knowledge that the router is dual-band and has to do a manual site survey on 5Ghz when hardware it's tri-band in fact (1 2.4Ghz and 2 5Ghz) and an smart auto mode could make use of the low power 5Ghz channels alongside high power ones (and simultaneously).

https://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/datasheet/WRT3200ACM_WiFiRouter_EN.pdf
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=141576

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tri-Stream is a marketing term like AC3200 (another lie) and WRT3200ACM is not tri-band as they want you to think.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33030-linksys-wrt3200acm-ac3200-mu-mimo-gigabit-wi-fi-router-reviewed

sd8887 (88W8887-NAA2) implementation that is under ath2 was originally for detecting radar (DFS) and from a hardware design standpoint the chip is meant for nothing else other than receive only for detection. It's 1x1 and has no useful range. It also has bluetooth capability, but that's about it.

The final nail in the coffin is the non-existant wifi driver and binary support from Marvell (assets are now NXP).
7heblackwolf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Tri-Stream is a marketing term like AC3200 (another lie) and WRT3200ACM is not tri-band as they want you to think.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33030-linksys-wrt3200acm-ac3200-mu-mimo-gigabit-wi-fi-router-reviewed

sd8887 (88W8887-NAA2) implementation that is under ath2 was originally for detecting radar (DFS) and from a hardware design standpoint the chip is meant for nothing else other than receive only for detection. It's 1x1 and has no useful range. It also has bluetooth capability, but that's about it.

The final nail in the coffin is the non-existant wifi driver and binary support from Marvell (assets are now NXP).

Hi there,

Well, actually, tri-stream is not something "I think it's like...", it's stated and explained for 5Ghz as 2 different radios (in fact, those have different EIRP). So as per the specifications points, there's 4 physical radios: 1 2.4Ghz, 2 5Ghz and the PIFO one.

Didn't mean that ath2 is the second 5Ghz radio. I know that's the PIFA antenna with wifi & bluetooth. What I was trying to say is that dd-wrt actually leave just 2 functional radios, which are very useful and potentially could add more features in a near future.

My bad if I wasn't clear.

Navigation

Jump to: