WRT54GL with samsung chip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
avdheiden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 21:36    Post subject: WRT54GL with samsung chip Reply with quote
Hello,

Expected to find this info on the forum but I don't so I want to share my experience.

I own 2 Linksys routers. A WRT54G V5.1 and a WRT54GL v1.1

The 1st allready had DD-WRTv23SP2 micro running and was upgraded last weekend to V24. Didn't go exactly smooth but eventualy I got it to work (The firmware for some reason won't accept my default WPA2 key).

The 2nd still had the default Linksys FW running and I decided it was time to move to DD-WRT. To make a long story short.. bricked. Totally bricked.

Power flashing fast and cable lights working but nothing. Looked up emergency unbrick procedure, shorting a few pins did the trick (after removing the cover).

Flashed again.. bricked again. Did some more reasearch and it turnes out that some WRT54GL v1.1 have a Samsung flash chip instead of an Intel chip and those devices are known to be bricked when flashed with a FW that is meant for the Intel devices.

Hope this helps the project.
Sponsor
HolyRoses
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
wonder if that is what is up with my stupid wrt54g v1.1

The thing is impossible to flash via gui and only flashes via tftp (and thus can only run mini). I'll have to crack open the case and take a look.

-HR
HolyRoses
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
mine is serial CL7B and has a samsung flash on the flash it has VER:4.30.7 and CS:AF81.

So what good solutions you have for this thing? I won't even accept a STD flash if you flash it via jtag. Bricks it, well puts it in dumb mode and only recovery via tftp again.

-HR
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a hunch... maybe some other part of the flash is corrupt?
HolyRoses
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
naw, i have wiped the flash several times via jtag. It has something to do with this samsung flashrom. I have written the whole kernel via jtag too.

Of interest I was just able to do my first Web gui firmware upgrade using firmware WRT54GL_v4.30.11_012_ETSI_EN_code.bin from the linksys UK site. They must have it specially coded to work with the samsung flash. No other flash from USA will work with it from web gui.

The unit flashes fine via tftp with dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin. Of course you have to telnet to it and reset nvram cuz its all screwed up if you dont afterwards.

-HR
HolyRoses
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
So my new theory is that this is a European model that I have. It's a linksys factory refurb, god only knows what they have sent me.

-HR
HeinekenPissr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've flashed a few WRT54GL v1.1 with v24 final and no problems here. I never opened them up to see what kind of flash chip though. Bought them all in U.S. from newegg.com
WRT54G v8.0 -Client Bridge w/ v24_final_micro
WRT350N v1.0 w/ v24_final_Mega
WRT54GL v1.1 w/ v24_final_mini
avdheiden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no solution yet. I saw a message on the OpenWRT board stating that serials above Jxxxxx are probably Samsung editions. Don't know if only EU modeles are involved or not.

I'm getting very...very... tired of Linksys. 1st the destroyed the perfect WRT54G line with those v5 editions (vxworks). Then they make up that mistake by releasing the WRT54GL only to undo that by releasing an unflashable version.

I think linksys has seen my last order.
Lextor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Samsung flash are crap.
My wrt54gl v1.1 bricked serveral months ago and i searched all over the net to unbrick it with no avail, tried all type of CFE with jtag, built a serial to see if anything on serial console, nothing.
Until I came across http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=182163

put my last hope on it and order a 8MB flash from farnell, viola! All is well and now have I have V24 mega on my wrt54gl v1.1 Very Happy

Thanks to elvicomte for sharing his mod result.
But I have other problem with mmc/sd opt-ware.

see here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34513
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: