R9000 Wifi Failure = firmware load issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can not see it correctly in the picture but there is at least one PCIe switch from ASM on the board

it can't be that 2 radios break down at once

but I don't know what's connected
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
All three radios are dead on mine, even though I think the 60GHz radio led comes on, last I remember. Not sure if the switch you are referring to is the root problem or what. But yes, this is a documented issue.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
WWTK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

Interesting, for me its just the 2.4 and 5Ghz not working. There must be some common thing, perhaps power. My IR thermometer seems to be on the fritz, I am getting a new one tomorrow. If that doesn't reveal anything i'll have to start measuring voltages around and see if I can find something.

I am still not entirely convinced there isn't some NVRAM setting issues going on, but finding information about it seems to be difficult at best.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
It would be great to know what components failed if it's not the wireless chips themselves. Then I could possibly fix mine.

since 2 chips failed i can just guess, but its cpu related. on mine the usb bus is fried. but i dont care. still good for wireless operation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't remember if nvram resetting is "safe" on the R9000. I mucked around with mine with mixed results only to end up with no wireless whatsoever. Not sure if the magic key is to disable the AD 60GHz radio or what. It's just plain bullshit that this issue exists on such an expensive piece of hardware.

----------------------
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
you can not see it correctly in the picture but there is at least one PCIe switch from ASM on the board

it can't be that 2 radios break down at once

but I don't know what's connected

good hint. there is indeed a pcie bridge on board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
WWTK wrote:
Hello,

Interesting, for me its just the 2.4 and 5Ghz not working. There must be some common thing, perhaps power. My IR thermometer seems to be on the fritz, I am getting a new one tomorrow. If that doesn't reveal anything i'll have to start measuring voltages around and see if I can find something.

I am still not entirely convinced there isn't some NVRAM setting issues going on, but finding information about it seems to be difficult at best.

just one nvram setting has a influence here. as i told you already in a earlier post. the setting "noath10k" will avoid loading of the wifi drivers. by default this is not set of course

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I can't remember if nvram resetting is "safe" on the R9000. I mucked around with mine with mixed results only to end up with no wireless whatsoever. Not sure if the magic key is to disable the AD 60GHz radio or what. It's just plain bullshit that this issue exists on such an expensive piece of hardware.

it is safe. the r9000 has no own nvram. so all nvram settings are only dd-wrt related and under OS control

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

Is there a way to tell if the pcie bridge is working?
WWTK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

just one nvram setting has a influence here. as i told you already in a earlier post. the setting "noath10k" will avoid loading of the wifi drivers. by default this is not set of course

I'm not expressing myself well and I apologize. Let me say it a different way.

I have two "working" R9K routers but one of them the 2.4 and 5GHz wireless will ONLY work with dd-wrt. If I put stock firmware on it those two radios are dead.

So my assumption (perhaps a bad one) is that there seems to be something software related that clearing the nvram doesn't fix. I have also seen posts of the exact opposite happening where stock works and dd-wrt doesn't.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
And the story changes, with a second router, blames software.

Tell us where how these "working" routers were obtained and in what condition, new, used, refurb, for parts, as-is, lemon etc.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you look in the Netgear forums, there was a rollback on stock firmware version trick that was supposed to fix it, but it only worked briefly for me. I rolled through all versions of stock firmware as well as Voxel after the radios quit working in DD-WRT. I gave up messing with it. Again, such a shame that such expensive hardware has these issues.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something that always bothers me with this model router are the proprietary active antennas.

dead ethernet, fan temps.

dead wifi.
WWTK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
And the story changes, with a second router, blames software.

Tell us where how these "working" routers were obtained and in what condition, new, used, refurb, for parts, as-is, lemon etc.

Seriously? Do I need to disclose that I also have 2 linksys 3200acm routers, 1900acs v2 and an r8000? And yes they all work fine. I have 2 working r9000 and two the 2.4 and 5Ghz don't work on, but were working at one time. I'm not at all certain what the "blames software" comment comes from but frankly it's offensive.

I have a home office with my computers on one side of the room and my entertainment equipment on the other. I use one router on each side of the room and WDS between them. I got the routers in hopes of using the 802.11ad between them since they are only about 10 feet apart with nothing but air between them. But of course the 802.11ad turned out to be a bit of a red herring and aren't working with dd-wrt.

Please explain to me how where they came from is in any way relevant to how I might repair or troubleshoot them. Routers are a hobby I like to tinker.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eh, the point is there are two different r9000 being troubleshot in this thread and it's confusing to determine when the conversation is drifting or talking about one router or the other.

Two others have asked you about the condition you obtained these routers; you ignore or avoid the question.

IMO it's not a software problem, unless somehow it can be proven otherwise (e.g. downgrade to older stock version, software or hardware reset magic). Maybe I'm wrong.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: