Issues running OpenVPN client at Linksys EA6300

tomek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 20:41    Post subject: Issues running OpenVPN client at Linksys EA6300 Reply with quote
Hi,
I have the DD-WRT v3.0-r43099 std (05/09/20) running on Linksys EA6300 and I am unable to connect to Surfshark VPN. Their support is really great but helpless in my
case because the client configuration looks correct.

The major problem that I have is that the OpenVPN client does not yield any logging info to Syslog.

At the same time, I am running the OpenVPN server, which prints logs to Syslog, so Syslog is working.
How can I start debugging this issue? The detailed config instructions that I follow (and are confirmed by Surfshark helpdesk) are at https://support.surfshark.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003086114-How-to-set-up-Surfshark-VPN-on-DD-WRT-router-

Best regards /tomek
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
When it comes to the OpenVPN client, when you see nothing in the Syslog or OpenVPN status, 99% of the time it's because you've made such a basic error (syntax, contradictory directives, etc.), the VPN can't even start. It dies immediately. Sometimes it will show something in the syslog to indicate the problem. Other times it may only error to standard out (i.e., the command line). For this reason, when I've been stumped, I've taken to the command line (ssh/telnet) and attempted to start the OpenVPN client manually, hoping for some error messages.

Code:
openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf --daemon

Also, sometimes the VPN provider's instructions are inaccurate or outdated. The OpenVPN client changes over time, and all it takes is a minor error to bring it to a halt.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
P.S. It's also very common for the VPN provider to recommend directives be added to the Additional Config field. In 99% of cases, this is unnecessary, and often causes problems of its own, because these often override the GUI.

For example, the following is suggested on that page.

Code:
remote-cert-tls server
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0
cipher AES-256-GCM
auth SHA512
log /tmp/vpn.log
auth-user-pass /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf

Most of the above is unnecessary, and sometimes harmful.

For example, the "log" directive is probably preventing error messages from getting to the Syslog and/or OpenVPN status page!

Or consider the "auth-user-pass" directive. If the GUI already has support for username/password, this is unnecessary, and will override the GUI, making authentication fail!

That's why (unfortunately) you can't take the VPN provider's instructions as gospel.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
tomek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much! I skipped all of the "Additional Config" instructions and it worked like charm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: