WRT3200ACM/Mac/SMB problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
pula123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 20:17    Post subject: WRT3200ACM/Mac/SMB problems Reply with quote
Hi.
I'm using the latest Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r43886 std (07/21/20)

My problem is Mac computers and Apple TV not discovering/reading the SMB-share.

When i am using Linksys firmware MacOs reads the drive, but with some connection problems from time to time, thats why i switched to DDWRT in the first place, thinking things will be better. I have spent countless days and hours trying to configure both Macs and DDwrt and reading online without any success.

A friend of mine with a windows PC could connect and find the share without any problem, so its clearly a problem on Apple devices. Is this driver related and can it be fixed? Any other suggestions to what i can do or should i just get a new router?

THANKS
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm guessing you're way ahead of me on this one, but just in case...

My own issues with SMB in a recent (April) release turned out to be that I had not set the "Minimum Protocol Version" and "Maximum Protocol Version" in the GUI>Services>NAS Samba Server section. The default values, at least in my case, were to only use a very old version of the protocol. Setting them for minimum 3.0 and maximum 3.11 fixed everything.

I gather that Samba issues in recent builds is due to a move a small number of months ago to Samba code embedded in the linux kernel. It's taken a while to get the kinks out. Maybe some are still in there.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think Macs require the use of Avahi by way of Entware or something. This is why I don't use a router as a file server (except for FTP)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pula123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
I'm guessing you're way ahead of me on this one, but just in case...

My own issues with SMB in a recent (April) release turned out to be that I had not set the "Minimum Protocol Version" and "Maximum Protocol Version" in the GUI>Services>NAS Samba Server section. The default values, at least in my case, were to only use a very old version of the protocol. Setting them for minimum 3.0 and maximum 3.11 fixed everything.

I gather that Samba issues in recent builds is due to a move a small number of months ago to Samba code embedded in the linux kernel. It's taken a while to get the kinks out. Maybe some are still in there.

Thanks for the reply!
I have already tried tinkering with those settings, but it didn't work Sad
pula123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I think Macs require the use of Avahi by way of Entware or something. This is why I don't use a router as a file server (except for FTP)

Would it be possible to implement something like this to ddwrt in the future for those of us who use Macs/Apple products? Like i said, it works with the linksys stock firmware, but i would prefer to use ddwrt. For me the SMB/USB file sharing is very important, as i do not have a NAS (to big of an investment right now) and i have external HDDs with a lot of movies which i stream to the Apple TV through Infuse.

I went ahead and ordered a Synology rt2600ac router, in hope that their firmware will meet my needs. I will probably end up selling my beloved WRT3200ACM Crying or Very sad
whaleyland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having the same exact problem and it has only been happening for about six weeks, although it also happened last year for a few months until I found some solution online (which I can't find now but shouldn't have changed since). When everything is working, I successfully NAS share two 3TB USB drives (one using a USB2.0 port) from my FlashRouter/Linksys WRT3200ACM which I bought back in August last year.

In short, my hard drives appear to time out once my Mac goes into sleep mode for a few minutes. It happens every day in the morning and night, and sometimes twice at night if I am not using the computer continuously. What's worse though is that the Apple TV is basically unusable if the drives aren't responding because most of what I watch is played through Infuse Pro directly from my hard drives, including my entire movie collection from the US and many of my TV shows. The only solution to this problem that I have found is to restart the router, but then this often causes the 5 GHz/802.11ac band to remain off on restart, leading me to restart the router again (and again occasionally) until the higher band network is broadcasting again. It is super frustrating and my partner can't watch her shows if she is at home while I'm at work unless she first restarts the router from behind (again, sometimes multiple times).

I have also just tried turning the Samba off, Apply Settings, then on, Apply Settings, but then the internet stops responding, although the drives do load paradoxically. Other than that, I haven't changed a single setting or updated the router/DD-WRT firmware since I bought the router, so nothing should have changed. The system is still currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r40260 std (07/09/19) since I don't want to mess up the preconfig settings and, until recently, it was working just fine as is. As with pula123, is there any workaround for this? I am wasting a lot of time throughout the day stressing about this and restarting the router, which probably isn't that good for it either.
ad19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless you are looking for something fixed in the latest versions, I would suggest going back to r35681 or r40009. Very stable and no problems with Mac using SMB or Bonjour.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mac needs to fix their SMB / network discovery implementation. Or people need to adapt. I don't think BrainSlayer is going to muck with adding anything else that will cause flash size constraint issues.

----------------------
pula123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
ad19 wrote:
Unless you are looking for something fixed in the latest versions, I would suggest going back to r35681 or r40009. Very stable and no problems with Mac using SMB or Bonjour.

WOW Shocked Very Happy
I did flash r35681 and its working like a charm so far!
Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for Very Happy
Are there any security risks running this older version, as far as you know or any problems you have encountered?
pula123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Mac needs to fix their SMB / network discovery implementation. Or people need to adapt. I don't think BrainSlayer is going to muck with adding anything else that will cause flash size constraint issues.

So its Apple software that is outdated? In that case I really hope they update it, its a pity we can't use the newer betas! So far r35681 is working perfectly for me. Thank you again, ad19! Wink
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr. ad19 gives great build advice for Marvell 3200 series (also SurprisedItWorks for 1900 series).

One of the last builds before the introduction of CIFSD in-kernel Samba is r41813 (Dec 2019).

If you want to read more, below is a discussion (thanks Mile-Lile).

https://github.com/namjaejeon/cifsd/issues/349
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with a poster above that 40009 was a really trouble-free build. It is a shame though to go back that far (over a year) and lose all the improvements and security patches that have appeared since. I can't imagine going all the way back to a 35*** build.

Also, my mac seems to map my router's large USB/Samba ext2 flash drive without problem. I'm on build 42926 (in the download pages as 42925). I also use it from Windows 10 and Fedora linux.

The new-build threads seem OK on Samba matters through 43099. Since then, however, there are Samba-trouble posts for every build.

Rather than use Apply on the NAS page to wake up a stuck Samba system, you can do

stopservice samba3
startservice samba3

either in the CLI or in Startup code. I needed this in several builds back in the winter. I do not need it in 42926.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
pula123 wrote:
So its Apple software that is outdated?

It's not outdated, it's the fact that it's Mac'd. I have a few bane of daily existence networks I manage that are especially painful. Making Mac and Windows both be "controlled" by a Linux server is fun. Really wish cross-platform functionality wasn't so tedious.

----------------------
pula123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
I agree with a poster above that 40009 was a really trouble-free build. It is a shame though to go back that far (over a year) and lose all the improvements and security patches that have appeared since. I can't imagine going all the way back to a 35*** build.

Also, my mac seems to map my router's large USB/Samba ext2 flash drive without problem. I'm on build 42926 (in the download pages as 42925). I also use it from Windows 10 and Fedora linux.

The new-build threads seem OK on Samba matters through 43099. Since then, however, there are Samba-trouble posts for every build.

Rather than use Apply on the NAS page to wake up a stuck Samba system, you can do

stopservice samba3
startservice samba3

either in the CLI or in Startup code. I needed this in several builds back in the winter. I do not need it in 42926.

Ok, so i encountered a problem with r35681. I can transfer files from the external HDD to my Mac. But not vice versa. I get an error about permissions. Funny because all permissions are read and write, both on the disk and in ddwrt, so it doesn't make sense..

Then i tried 42926/42925 - the SMB didn't work well here with my Mac. Network share was detectable, but it could only load a few files on that disk. After this i went with r40009 (which i'm currently on) and the same problem persists as with r35681. Any ideas?

Btw: The external HDD i use is formatted to HFS+. Tried with an ExFat and it worked without problems Rolling Eyes
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not very knowledgeable about Samba and various filesystem types, but my limited sense of it is that Samba hides the native filesystem type of a share and instead presents a sort of uniform "Samba type" to the network. So a share on the network looks the same no matter whether the underlying filesystem is formatted as ext4, NTFS, or whatever. I have no idea how well dd-wrt Samba handles HFS+ as an underlying fs type. I keep my drives formatted as either ext4 (if journaling is desired) or ext2 (if not), because those are native linux types and dd-wrt is a linux system.

I have noticed also that the Samba presentation of owner/permissions seems to contain less information than I am used to in linux. The "group" of a file doesn't appear to exist, for example.

But I am ignorantly rambling here. Let's let someone with an actual clue speak up.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: