DDWRT ddup script in Brainslayer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
sideup66
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:53    Post subject: DDWRT ddup script in Brainslayer Reply with quote
Hi folks,
Been using DD-WRT for a while now, came off Kong builds when Kong left the development group, sadly. Am continuing with Brainslayer at the moment. Curious if there is an equivilant to the ddup command that was found in Kong builds to update firmware via ssh? I ask as I intend to be moving remote from the router running dd-wrt soon and will need a way to keep the device patched while remote. At the moment, I know of the web interface update, but im not sure how that will work upgrading firmware over a VPN tunnel. I have seen mention here or there of command capabilities to do it in BS builds but am not familiar enough with them to try. Any advice or pointer is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the entire thread.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322503

Also, refer to the installation wiki in my signature.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
sideup66
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks alot Kernel-panic69! took a look at both threads. Im already familiar with finding compatible firmware for my device. Took a look at the script mentioned and noted it will need some space on its own partition for writes. I have a few old flashdrives around that can be setup for that purpose.

As for the flash tool itself, I saw the concern from Alozaros of nvram reset for every flash. While I understand its traditionally "best practice", I am in the school of not flashing until needed (especially since im now going to be remote from this thing, if it ain't broke, im not fixing it). Adding to this, the script logic appears to have prompts taht are executed when writing about nvram to address those concerns.

Let me know if im missing something. Thanks!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not employed this utility personally. The good thing about it is that you can at least check for updates with it and install if you choose, if I am not mistaken. I am currently using an incarnation of IONK's RSS feed to keep up with new releases, I was going to employ a variation of d0ug's script, but that thread was the victim of a major oops that was largely my fault, and I don't think any posts were restored yet. Sad Embarassed

----------------------
sideup66
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I have not employed this utility personally. The good thing about it is that you can at least check for updates with it and install if you choose, if I am not mistaken.

That sounds like a nice feature, though usually I'll check the boards to be alerted of a new build, then go to the track page and review changes. If there is a package my configuration uses, a security related kernel update, or some other library my device relies on, I'll warrant the update. Prefer not to put the flash wear on a device if it does not need. Especially now, as I won't be living where the router is deployed and the villagers are technical muggles, unknowing of my wizardy. 😁 It's always fun being the one in the family who "knows computers"

kernel-panic69 wrote:
I am currently using an incarnation of IONK's RSS feed to keep up with new releases, I was going to employ a variation of d0ug's script, but that thread was the victim of a major oops that was largely my fault, and I don't think any posts were restored yet. Sad Embarassed

That's a shame, I'd love to see the code there too..any big difference between it and yoyoma's script (as an aside yoyoma should post the script to github...easy way to access it for all, as well as maintain it)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know. I didn't copy d0ug's script before the thread went away Rolling Eyes and I have not received a reply to my PM to him about it Sad

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: