Will Linksys WRT54G v6 upgrade to v3.0 Build 40559 work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 23:17    Post subject: Will Linksys WRT54G v6 upgrade to v3.0 Build 40559 work Reply with quote
I just installed "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro - build 12548M NEWD Eko" on an old linksys wrt54g v6. I see that the Router Database shows v3.0 Build 40559 as the latest version for this router. I used the instructions from the database to install the current version, which said not to use the web gui installation method. I would like to install v3.0 Build 40559, but since it is a .bin file, I think I must use the web gui method.
Does anybody know if the web gui method will work with this latest version??? I don't want to brick my router.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do NOT use the router database for recommended firmware to download. You may brick your router.

https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ wrote:
DISCLAIMER

This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN FRIENDLY AND FAIR NOTICE

Flash 43192 or newer, preferably 43516 or 43652.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

The file you should require will be in the "broadcom" folder.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 20:33    Post subject: Will Linksys WRT54G v6 upgrade to v3.0 Build 40559 work Reply with quote
kernel-panic69: Thank you very much for your response. I installed dd-wrt on my wrt54g v6 using the instructions in the wiki page https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_&_5.1_&_6.0 . It says to install a custom version of dd-wrt and gives instructions for building it. I followed the instructions. However, I don't know if these instructions apply only to the first loading of dd-wrt, or they apply to all subsequent updating of dd-wrt. Do you know the answer to this????

You recommended that I load 43192 or newer, preferably 43516 or 43652 from the Broadcom folder at https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/. I could find no "micro" versions for wrt54g at any of those builds. Instructions I used when I first installed dd-wrt on wrt54g v6 said that I must use the micro version, or I would brick my router. Do you know if the "dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin" would work???? The router database for wrt54g v6 says to use the generic version, so that at least hints it will work.

Thanks again for your help....
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once you've run VxWorks killer on it, you should be able to flash the micro_generic.bin from the "broadcom" folder, if I am not mistaken. 43192 addresses a specific issue that was noted in WRT54 series routers (possibly others). 43516 should improve webUI, 43652 is the latest release.

----------------------
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69. I installed DD-WRT v3.0-r43711 micro(07/08/20), the latest version. No problem with the installation, but the user interface page often goes blank, when I change a setting in dd-wrt. I have to power cycle the router. I may backup to the previous version that you recommended. Thanks for your help.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should probably be using something that isn't Chrome or based on Chrome. That is most likely the issue, not the firmware. I personally use Firefox ESR without much issue.

----------------------
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I use firefox as distributed and updated by Xubuntu. The first installation of dd-wrt (dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_micro.bin from GV5Flash didn't have the problem.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think Linux distros distribute both ESR and mainline. I know Debian and Ubuntu seem to default to ESR, and I have never had an issue with ESR. Always helpful to clear cache and not intermingle your DD-WRT webui with your normal web traffic as well.

----------------------
ralphl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69: You have been so helpful that I have another request. I submitted another forum topic titled "Setting up dd-wrt for voip". If you have any thoughts on the questions I have there I would appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: