Linksys WRT 1900ACS Configure As Wired WiFi Repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Traverse_Jon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:09    Post subject: Linksys WRT 1900ACS Configure As Wired WiFi Repeater Reply with quote
I have been using DD-WRT for several years and have managed to set up VPNs, CRON jobs and other customizations, but I am having problems with a current project and would like to ask for help.

My primary router is a Netgear R7800 flashed with DD-WRT. I have a secondary router that I would like to use as a wired wifi repeater in my garage, which has an ethernet cable running back to the primary router.

The secondary router is a Linksys WRT 1900 ACS flashed with DD-WRT 3.0 r-40459 (7/30/19).

I set the primary router (gateway) with an address of 10.0.0.1, and reserved a static lease for the Linksys at 10.0.0.50

I have tried configuring the Linksys several times, and once was able to ping 10.0.0.50 successfully, but the Linksys was not broadcasting wifi.

Could someone tell me the configuration details to use in DD-WRT so that the Linksys
1. is connected by ethernet to the primary router
2. repeats the wifi signal in the secondary location

Question related to #2 is: I would like a user in the remote location to know that he is wirelessly connected to the secondary router, so I was thinking that secondary router would be set up with an SSID different from the primary router, but I have seen several comments that both primary and secondary router should broadcast the same SSIDs. Please comment on that as well.

I appreciate any help that someone can give.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most likely, you will need to set it up as a wired Wireless Access Point (last link):

Repeating Mode Comparisons - DD-WRT Wiki

Universal Wireless Repeater - DD-WRT Wiki (deprecated, if I am not mistaken)

Wlan Repeater - DD-WRT Wiki

Wireless Access Point - DD-WRT Wiki

Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have my 1900ACSv1 setup exactly as you describe. Follow the "wireless access point" link above. My 1900ACSv1 is set to "router mode", is on the same subnet as the primary router (3200ACM), and all four radios share the same SSID. Most of my client devices (iphones and macbooks) switch seamlessly between all four radios as we walk around the house. Some google or IOT devices sometimes have problems but I've figured those out now.

Linksys WRT3200ACM: gateway mode, DNSMasq for DNS and DHCP, Wireguard client (Mullvad), Firewall enabled, QoS enabled HTB-CAKE, PBR enabled (SFE disabled). WIFI: 2.4ghz: NG-mixed, 20mhz channel width, channel 1, WPA2-CCMP-128. 5ghz: AC/N mixed, 80mhz channel width, channel 100+6, WPA2-CCMP-128.

Linksys WRT1900ACSv1: router mode, hardwired ethernet lan to WRT3200ACM above. WIFI: 2.4ghz: NG-mixed, 20mhz channel width, channel 11, WPA2-CCMP-128. 5ghz: AC/N mixed, 80mhz channel width, channel 36+6, WPA2-CCMP-128.
Traverse_Jon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, thank you to both kernel-panic69 and pbphoto for your help. I have the Linksys now set up as a repeater, and am getting both a very good wifi connection and very good speed in both down- and upload. Your suggestion to follow the Wiki was just what I needed!

Two questions arise: First, it seems that the LEDs on the router are much dimmer than they were when the router was new...LEDs are supposed to last a long time, so I can't figure out if some setting has changed that would have diminished their brightness. Any thoughts on that?

Second, I currently have the Linksys mounted flat on a tabletop. Is there any documentation anywhere on the optimum antenna positions if the router were to be mounted on a vertical wall, for example?

Thanks again for your help!
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding the leds, I think various releases have addressed them. I'm running 43471 and my leds seem ok. I don't really look at them too much.

My 3200ACM is sitting on a desk and the 1900ACS is mounted upside down on the ceiling in the basement. I have the four antennas pointed in different directions in an attempt to maximize signal coverage in the house. The wifi signal is strongest perpendicular to the antenna. <-- | --> There are utilities to help you measure and map signal strength around your house: Airport utility on an iphone and Wifi Explorer on a Macbook for two examples.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
LED brightness has nothing to do with firmware; it's a hardware design issue and/or from manufacturing parts choices.

They are likely being overdriven and it's shortening their lifespan, combined with choosing the wrong LED to begin with.

It's all over the Linksys community forums; search and you will find.

Point the antennas straight up, unless for some reason you are trying to penetrate through ceilings or floors.
Traverse_Jon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the dimming LED issue seems to have been discussed on many threads in the Forums over several years, so I guess it's just a matter of living with the dim LEDs.

The issue with the COLOR of the Internet LED is more disconcerting...the manual says an orange LED means there is no internet connectivity, but I have a great connection and yet the LED is orange! Anyway, I have a good wifi signal and good internet speed so I'll be content and simply not look at the LEDs!
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
My LEDs have seriously dimmed over time, but the color of the internet light has not changed. Your report is the first I've heard of that.

Just to continue the antenna discussion a little: generally the antenna direction is not critical at all, but parallel is actually the least robust choice. I have clients located horizontally, diagonally, and vertically from the router, so I want no coverage holes. For that reason, I intentionally keep the four antennas pointing in four different directions so that clients can't be in/near a pattern null of all four simultaneously. For this type of antenna there's a null in the direction it's pointing.

Probably more importantly, in any given direction, there's always a signal polarization (think client-device orientation) to which a given antenna won't respond, a polarization null. Orienting antennas differently means that you can orient your phone or whatever any way you like and never risk being in the polarization null of all antennas simultaneously.

These are all fairly minor effects for most systems, as the nulls are narrow, but it does feel like my performance has been better to far corners of the house since I moved away from parallel antennas.

Six Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 routers on 46816, 48141: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, client mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), DDNS, wireguard servers and clients (AzireVPN), three DNSCrypt DNS providers (incl Quad9) via VPN clients.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: