Amazon Fire Tablet HD8 and Fire TV Stick cannot connect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
da644
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 14:49    Post subject: Amazon Fire Tablet HD8 and Fire TV Stick cannot connect Reply with quote
Device: Netgear R8000
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r43324 std (06/02/20)

I switched my router over from the stock firmware to DD-WRT and now the two Fire HD 8 tablets and 3 Fire TV sticks I have can only see the 2.4Ghz wifi but they cannot connect to it, they get "authentication error" after about 30 seconds. None of them can see either of the 5Ghz networks either, which they could all see and connect to before changing.

I also have a Fire TV Stick 4K and a Fire HD 10 which can see all the networks fine and connect to all. All other devices I have, Macbook Pro, iPhone's, Chromebook, consoles, etc... can also all see all networks and connect ok.

Does anyone know if there are settings that need changing to allow these Amazon devices to see the wifi and connect?

Thanks.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are your 2.4 settings? You should try NG-Mixed if you don't already have that set. Also, do not use Auto Channel, pick a channel. Also, 20 MHz channel width.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Wireless_Settings

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
da644
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I'll give that a try, but still doesn't explain why these devices can't see the 5Ghz networks when they could before and other devices can ok.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably need to use specific 5GHz channels, you will have to tinker with the channel selection on 5GHz to see what's what.

da644
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, after searching about the forums I found a suggestion, not completely related but similar, that suggested trying a different build, which I've done and it is now partly working.

I'm now running an older build:

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r41892 (01/05/20)

and the Amazon Fire HD 8's and the Fire TV Sticks can see and connect to the 2.4Ghz network, but still can't see the 5Ghz networks. I've tried various different settings but nothing seems to work.

Downgrading to this version has also fixed another issue where I was getting:

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Sometimes from the web admin GUI and I've not had that once since changing, so clearly there are some issues with the newer builds.

This will work for me for now, so I'll leave it there.

Thanks.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should have thought about it when you posted you have an R8000. For more current builds, I think the proprietary dhd driver is going askew and you need to look into using the experimental driver version, unless that is the one you are using?

da644
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm very new to this, so I'm not sure what the dhd driver is or how to change it. Would going back to the "latest release" version, 40559, be the best solution overall? I'm not particularly looking for any specific feature, I just want the router to work better than it did on the stock firmware, with which I had lots of speed issues and stalling connections, which I've not had since changing to dd-wrt.

Thanks.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably not. The 40559 build is a crap shoot in general and most new people who flash it come here trying to diganose problems, etc., but YMMV. If you are good where you are at with 41892, then perhaps you may wish to stick with it for now. The dhd driver I am referring to is for the wireless hardware. The experimental driver is a tweaked non-proprietary upstream in-kernel driver, but not sure all the kinks have been worked out with it yet. You may wish to test, or not.

da644
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all your help kernel-panic69, I'll have a play around with some different version and see what I can do.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds good. If you run into anything, post up. Some additional information to read through for some issues and what build(s) to perhaps avoid or upgrade to:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324556

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324498

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325026

Prior to flashing any new build, look in the associated release thread to read other users' reports on your device.

foz111
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try setting 5.0Ghz Channel Width vht80 & channels 36-48 and firestick should see the SSID & connect fine

Added: channels between 149 to 165 should also work but I've not tested myself
da644
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, after trying several different versions of dd-wrt and lots and lots of different settings, I spoke with a friend who suggested trying FreshTomato instead of dd-wrt and that worked for me "out-of-the-box" with no issues with any devices. It's a little sad as I think dd-wrt has some better features, but FreshTomato has everything I need. It fixes the speed issues as well as fixes various other issues I had with the stock firmware, so I'll stick with that.

Thanks for trying to help me out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: