Most Stable Recommendation for Netgear AC1450 & RT-N12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
though
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 17:39    Post subject: Most Stable Recommendation for Netgear AC1450 & RT-N12 Reply with quote
I've been away from the DD-WRT scene for a while but I am back again! I have a few of the Asus RT-N12 and Netgear AC1450. Can some of you please recommend the most stable release for these routers?

My needs are VERY minimal. Highest throughput and most stable are my priorities. I use them primarily as a Client Bridge or Repeater Bridge.

TIA
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
If nobody answered here, it's because this isn't the kind of question that's supposed to be asked. You are supposed to research the forum and check what people report. This makes THREE different places you have asked. First and Last warning.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Graygeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:38    Post subject: Finding a workable release Reply with quote
I think the moderator, kernel-panic69's, reply to the OP's question was a bit over-the-top.

I too am coming back after several years to look at updates for my AC1450 router that's been running a mid-2014 vintage KONG build of dd-wrt. After four hours of jumping around this fairly disorganized web-site to find information, I still don't know what the latest "stable" release is for my device.

I see that KONG left the dd-wrt scene in August 2019, so all of the download links to his site (and his dd-wrt builds) are gone. https://desipro.de/dd-wrt is all gone.

I see that "beta" releases are at the same ftp address, but still no release notes on what, if anything, has changed.

I see that the wiki for the Netgear AC1450 is still co-mingled with the R6300v2 wiki, so within 54 (!) full pages of content on the R6300 wiki, there's maybe 25 comments specifically related to the AC1450, only one of which confirms a specific build number is "good" (a Nov 2017 build).

I see that the "stable" folder on the ftp site hasn't been updated since 2009-2010. Everything is now a "beta".

I came here to see when mesh-networking capability was added to DD-WRT, and if I can update my router to support it with another identical device. Forget that - no release notes, no searches produce an answer without hours of wasted time pouring through a couple hundred search results.

I have been very happy with the solid performance and configurability of DD-WRT, but as stated, after an entire afternoon of reading, I still don't know what the latest "stable" release for my device is, whether it can/does support mesh networking, or where to find "stable" releases of dd-wrt for any router. I'm tempted to post a question, but I have a working router now and I don't feel like getting flamed like the OP here did.

I may be wrong, but this geek is coming away from this decidedly un-productive afternoon with the impression that DD-WRT is headed toward its sunset, and for that, I am sorry. I was hoping to use it once a suitable WiFi 6 capable router was available at a reasonable price, and supported by DD-WRT.

Meanwhile, looks like I have to acknowledge that I'm running a low-sales-volume Netgear device that's now six years old, and that despite its good specs, there's just not much action here to read about. The six-year old dd-wrt version I'm running will just have to do until I replace it.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
People ask this question all the time. There is no 100% definite answer to the question. This firmware is in constant development. If someone has an answer, then whatever I said in my earlier post can be ignored, save and except for asking the same question in multiple locations within 5 minutes, which goes against the forum rules and guidelines. That was my main issue. Ask which build is stable all you wish, you may get a dozen answers, or not. Really wish people would quit blaming me for their participation or lack thereof. That's just being completely silly.

----------------------
Graygeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:55    Post subject: Looking for stable release Reply with quote
No "blame" game here. Way back when, the DD-WRT site distinguished between "beta" (test) code and "stable" releases, much like most Linux distros do / have done. That's why there still is a folder for "stable" releases
ftp://ftp-dd-wrt-com/stable

Evidently, that is no longer the case -- something that the OP apparently does not know, and that I only ascertained after several hours of invested time hunting for something other than an experimental/beta/test release that are changing every other day or so.

What would have been more helpful in your first reply is to clarify your "this question should not be asked" statement with a reason why, and that reason is that this DD-WRT site just cannot deliver an answer because ... (I'm surmising here ...) there has not been sufficient testing resources to designate "stable" releases for over a decade, near as I can tell.

Noobs or longtime absentees don't recognize that dd-wrt firmware is (apparently) available only as a "test-it-yourself" product, which one can sort of infer after reading for a few hours and taking notice of the considerable documentation on recovering from a bricked router.

All of this is OK, it just isn't very clearly communicated. (at least not that I have found). I get it. The DD-WRT community chose to support a very broad selection of router devices, rather than concentrate on a few, and test them more thoroughly. So users have to have the skills and the time to test the code they need for adequacy for their needs.

At this point, I'd be happy just to know the "latest" release for the Netgear AC1450. Appears to be a November 4, 2017 KONG release - so I can begin trying it out next time I have a free weekend to experiment.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Final <Kong> release before he quit doing anything with DD-WRT, which was 7/10/2019 or so:

http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/Supported%20Models

http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/40270/

All of his personal site stuff is no longer save and except for the OpenWRT stuff he currently tinkers with.

The "current" "last/latest release" (if you want any of the more current development patches and fixes):

06-15-2020-r43420

Your criticism is noted.

----------------------
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
First thing first:
Make sure that you know how to recover from boot failure/loop *BEFORE* trying strange firmwares in both routers! Smile

Write down the methods in case you lost internet.

Better actually test those recovery methods using good firmware. Smile

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
though
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 17:44    Post subject: Re: Finding a workable release Reply with quote
Graygeek wrote:
I think the moderator, kernel-panic69's, reply to the OP's question was a bit over-the-top.

I too am coming back after several years to look at updates for my AC1450 router that's been running a mid-2014 vintage KONG build of dd-wrt. After four hours of jumping around this fairly disorganized web-site to find information, I still don't know what the latest "stable" release is for my device.

I see that KONG left the dd-wrt scene in August 2019, so all of the download links to his site (and his dd-wrt builds) are gone. https://desipro.de/dd-wrt is all gone.

I see that "beta" releases are at the same ftp address, but still no release notes on what, if anything, has changed.

I see that the wiki for the Netgear AC1450 is still co-mingled with the R6300v2 wiki, so within 54 (!) full pages of content on the R6300 wiki, there's maybe 25 comments specifically related to the AC1450, only one of which confirms a specific build number is "good" (a Nov 2017 build).

I see that the "stable" folder on the ftp site hasn't been updated since 2009-2010. Everything is now a "beta".

I came here to see when mesh-networking capability was added to DD-WRT, and if I can update my router to support it with another identical device. Forget that - no release notes, no searches produce an answer without hours of wasted time pouring through a couple hundred search results.

I have been very happy with the solid performance and configurability of DD-WRT, but as stated, after an entire afternoon of reading, I still don't know what the latest "stable" release for my device is, whether it can/does support mesh networking, or where to find "stable" releases of dd-wrt for any router. I'm tempted to post a question, but I have a working router now and I don't feel like getting flamed like the OP here did.

I may be wrong, but this geek is coming away from this decidedly un-productive afternoon with the impression that DD-WRT is headed toward its sunset, and for that, I am sorry. I was hoping to use it once a suitable WiFi 6 capable router was available at a reasonable price, and supported by DD-WRT.

Meanwhile, looks like I have to acknowledge that I'm running a low-sales-volume Netgear device that's now six years old, and that despite its good specs, there's just not much action here to read about. The six-year old dd-wrt version I'm running will just have to do until I replace it.

Hey Graygeek!

I installed the latest AC1450 release when I got my first AC1450 (when I made this post). I use it as a wireless repeater and worked GREAT so I bought a 2nd AC1450 and installed that one as an Access Point at a different location. I used the latest release for that one which was maybe June 10th or so. It also worked great.

I would suggest trying the latest build which is this one below. Good luck!

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/06-15-2020-r43420/netgear-ac1450/netgear-ac1450-webflash.bin
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 20:11    Post subject: Re: Looking for stable release Reply with quote
Graygeek wrote:
At this point, I'd be happy just to know the "latest" release for the Netgear AC1450. Appears to be a November 4, 2017 KONG release - so I can begin trying it out next time I have a free weekend to experiment.

Kong has left dd-wrt and his builds are no more available.
Graygeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:43    Post subject: Thank you from a Graygeek Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 - thank you for your replies and the links. And for the time you take to moderate on this forum.

though: The AC1450 is a surprisingly decent bit of hardware when paired with DD-WRT. I'm glad to know your 2nd unit is working out. My 2nd AP is a very old and now deteriorating DLink D655, but you've inspired me to replace it with a 2nd AC1450 if I can find one. Then I can safely test any of these new firmware updates w/o putting my main router in jeopardy as mwchang so correctly reminds us. I haven't had to do a "recovery" since mid-2014, so definitely rusty.

Thank you all for your informative responses.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 22:23    Post subject: Re: Thank you from a Graygeek Reply with quote
Graygeek wrote:
though: The AC1450 is a surprisingly decent bit of hardware when paired with DD-WRT. I'm glad to know your 2nd unit is working out. My 2nd AP is a very old and now deteriorating DLink D655, but you've inspired me to replace it with a 2nd AC1450 if I can find one. Then I can safely test any of these new firmware updates w/o putting my main router in jeopardy as mwchang so correctly reminds us. I haven't had to do a "recovery" since mid-2014, so definitely rusty.
Thank you all for your informative responses.

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions or issues!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: