Cascading Linksys router AS WIRED ONLY to eero mesh system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
germainiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 21:16    Post subject: Cascading Linksys router AS WIRED ONLY to eero mesh system Reply with quote
Folks,

I have a Linksys WRT1900AC, running DD-WRT (v3.0 Beta, build 28628). Been using it for years, along with a USB 3 hard drive as a network drive, but just moved to a larger house, and wireless is struggling.

After doing some reading, I decided to invest in an eero mesh system, which I ordered but have not received yet. I plan to use the Eero for wireless, BUT I still need the USB 3 from my old router for storage, as well as its ehternet switching capabilities. Eero tech support recommended that I set the Eero as the main router, and cascade my old Linksys router to the Eero, turning off wifi on the Linksys so that it will be used for its wired capability ONLY.

I know there are various possible modes to set the Linksys/DD-WRT router in, but I'm not clear what the correct one is for this scenario, or how to set it up. I know there are plenty of tutorials on the forum, but not sure which one to look at. Please advise. Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Linking_Routers

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
germainiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69,

Sounds like I simply need to set up my old router in "switch" mode.

Thanks for your help,
germainiac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Couple of more questions:

As mentioned previously, I'd like to set up my Linksys router (running DD-WRT) so that it's hardwired to my new mesh router (which I don't have yet), and provides access for any device on my home network to wired devices attached to the Linksys via Ethernet AND via the Linksys' USB 3 port. It is my intention to turn off Wifi on the Linksys, so any wireless connection will be through the mesh system. In other words, I want both the new mesh router and the old Linksys to operate as ONE network.

From the information linked above, it SEEMS I should set the Linksys to SWITCH mode.

My first question is: am I correct so far?

My next question is: I'm confused about what the IP address of the Linksys should be. Another tutorial I read on the internet states that the IP address on the switch should be IDENTICAL to the one on the mesh router - otherwise they'll function as two separate networks.

But the DD-WRT Switch tutorial states that the Local IP Address should be DIFFERENT from that of the primary router and out of DHCP pool.

Can someone please tell if turning the Linksys into a "Switch" is the right move, and if so should I give it an IDENTICAL Local address to the mesh modem, or a DIFFERENT Local address?

Thanks,

germainiac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: