Setting up R7000 as 2nd (bridge) router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mcknikkerr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 15:24    Post subject: Setting up R7000 as 2nd (bridge) router Reply with quote
I need some advice for best setting up my R7000 router as 2nd router on my ground floor.
I have placed my main router R7800 as an access point in my living room(“First” floor). I pulled a cable from my main router to the R7000. Then I did configure the 2nd router as client bridge. Can someone briefly explain the main difference between client bridge and repeater bridge, what would be the best setup to choose? I have disabled the wan connection on my 2nd router. Pointed the gateway to my main router, used same ssid for wireless. I assume I need to connect the cable on the internet port on my 2nd router. Any other advice, suggestions ? I'm using build 6-04-2020-r43334 for my r7000.

Thank you in advance for helping me out!

Kind regards,
Stephan
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
If they are both able to be connected by cable, why would you use any wireless connection between them? https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Linking_Routers
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mcknikkerr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reaction.
Never really thought of that, so if i understand correctly both client(bridge) and repeater(bridge) are mainly used for wireless connection between the two.

If i understand correctly it is better to setup my second router as an accespoint too. And use the same ssid for wireless connection ?

Or what would fit the best.

Kr,
Stephan
mcknikkerr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
One other question.
If I want to connect to my smb share from my modem it cannot reach the share. As for the 7800 interface(192.168.1.1). How can i fix this without placing both in the same segment?

See current network draw:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fBarQ5y8gN6rLLytzQkWErcH-jv2frMY/view
mcknikkerr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
setting up my second router as an access point did the trick.
Still wondering if it is possible to acces my smb share via my modem(wired connection).
mcknikkerr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still having trouble with this, it seems my modem cannot ping the r7800 router (192.168.1.1). Cannot setup some sort of static route.

When I change the ip from my r7800 from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.2 I lose internet connection over my router. I think because my modem is still not able to ping my routers ip 192.168.0.2.

I'm lost how i can make the modem see the other part of the network.
mcknikkerr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Connecting my second router was successful.
Í've created another topic for not being able to reach my smb share from my modem:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325344

This topic can be closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: