Access Restrictions

rjp1267
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 16:22    Post subject: Access Restrictions Reply with quote
I have updated original post to be more clear on issue at hand. This issue has nothing to do with filtering I will cross that bridge at a later date.

Ok this deny scheduling feature really doesnt make sense. So in simple terms I want to deny access to devices each day of the week from 21:00 to 09:00. This means for example on Monday starting at 9pm (21:00) access will be denied and then access will be restored on Tuesday morning at 9am (09:00), Tuesday at 9pm (21:00) access will be denied and restored Wednesday morning at 9am (09:00) and so on. When I try to setup this way using the times above I get the error that "End time must be greater than start time".

My logic as to how this function should work is as follows: Deny from = start time of access denial > Deny to = end time of access denial, so it is not unrealistic to expect that denying access starting on one day and restoring on another would be common but apparently that doesnt seem to be the case.

Can someone shed some light on what I may be missing or point me in the direction of specific/detailed documentation because as it is setup I feel I am looking at this correctly. Also as an FYI I have read the help page associated with the function and it also seems to align with my idea as to how it should work. Thanks.

Last edited by rjp1267 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 14:37; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you wanting to limit access from midnight to 10am or Noon to 10am the following day or from 10am to noon the same day? It's not clear what you want. Time restrictions work from 00:01 to 23:59 or something like that. If your time block crosses the midnight hour, you have to account for that with separate entries. Parental controls to restrict access to certain sites across the board may not work as perceived or expected, I have never looked that deep into it, but it would need to be a reproducible problem with proper logs and other information to help debug.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
rjp1267
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Example: M-F grant access at 10am and shut it off at 12pm on the same day, the permission doesn't allow for entering multiple entries.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm do you have correct time set....NTP time, use IP instead of name....!!??

those access restrictions ,will not work with https sites, also every time router restarts, it gets messy...

Do we know your router model and current build running...
and that is what you should've start with...guru's cant guess your set up or elase...you have to expose all your settings what you ve tried so far...what you want to achieve and so...

otherwise the level of help will drop down to zero (0)...

you can try with cron job's and iptables rules...
ggl it its easy... Twisted Evil

if you'd need more parental control there are apps for it or may be other alternative routers os....

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
rjp1267
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am looking for help on the times for access(see original post) Access Restriction>Access Policy>Days>Times I have for the time being given up on HTTP filtering and will review once I have resolved this issue. Current rev is Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r43171 std (05/16/20) running Netgear r7000 with NTP enabled and operating properly.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is a known issue that if your access restrictions cross midnight, you have to have two rules. It is also known that you cannot have two rules in the same 24-hour period (i.e. one for Monday morning and one for Monday night), as you have discovered. I am not sure if there is also an issue with rules crossing noon. Sorry I didn't respond before, but I don't respond well to attitude - that zero help Alozaros was referring to. Perhaps try 11:59am?

----------------------
rjp1267
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
It is a known issue that if your access restrictions cross midnight, you have to have two rules. It is also known that you cannot have two rules in the same 24-hour period (i.e. one for Monday morning and one for Monday night), as you have discovered. I am not sure if there is also an issue with rules crossing noon. Sorry I didn't respond before, but I don't respond well to attitude - that zero help Alozaros was referring to. Perhaps try 11:59am?

Thanks for the feedback so it is an issue with the FW and I wasnt going crazy. Hope future updates address the issue in meantime will see what I can do to enforce access for kids devices.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it will ever be "fixed" if it also has issue passing noon. I guess someone needs to look at thr source code for the function and figure out what's broken.

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: