WRT54GL - Can I have repeater bridge AND guest network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
petubl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:08    Post subject: WRT54GL - Can I have repeater bridge AND guest network? Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I set up my wrt54gl as a wireless repeater bridge, by creating a virtual AP with a different SSID and identical password to my ISP's router wifi. This was needed to boost wifi reception in my attic where there is a weak signal. I placed the ddwrt router in the attic and I solved my problem.

My question is the following: I also have a smart tv in the attic, which I want to use mainly for netflix as it has its native netflix client. I am pretty sure that the TV also dials home for updates and whatnot. Ideally i would like to allow this tv internet access, but isolate it so that it cannot "see" the other devices on my network.

Given that there is already one virtual AP, is it simply a question of creating another one with a different ssid and enabling isolation? Should this one also have the same wifi password as the isp router?

I could also connect it via ethernet - is it possible to somehow isolate one of the ports of the ddwrt router to allow internet but not lan access to the tv?

I would be grateful if somebody can point me in the right direction...

Thanks

petubl
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The fact you configured the repeater as a "bridge" means by definition any clients of that bridge are part of the network to which it is connected over wireless. If you want to create a separation between the repeater and the other network, you should use a "routed" repeater configuration (simple called a repeater, as opposed to repeater bridge). Now clients behind the repeater are on their own separate IP network and are *routed* from that network and over the other network. And if you add firewall rules to the repeater, you can prevent clients behind the repeater from gaining access to any other local IP network.

Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -d 192.168.0.0/16 -j REJECT
iptables -I FORWARD -d 172.16.0.0/12 -j REJECT
iptables -I FORWARD -d 10.0.0.0/8 -j REJECT

All that remains available is the internet.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: