No Internet after DD-WRT flash of a new WRT3200acm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
QueDog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48    Post subject: No Internet after DD-WRT flash of a new WRT3200acm Reply with quote
Hello,

I just flashed my new WRT3200acm to DD-WRT using factory-to-ddwrt, and tried to use network settings from my old Netgear router, which did not work (old router works fine). I've confirmed my ISP has assigned a DHCP address, and entered DNS, and other IP4 info from my old router.

Just so I can internet again, I flashed back to factory default.

How can I get this to work?

Thank you!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sticky: DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suggest you reboot both the your modem and router after flashing a new firmware. I've had to do that on several occasions. It allows the two to renegotiate settings and will often get the network back up.

Once the first time dd-wrt firmware has been flashed and up I've never had to reboot the modem again after the initial flashing. Once up and running I can always upgrade to a new dd-wrt release without rebooting the modem as the modem remembers previous settings negotiation. Some modem brands, on the other hand, don't seem to require a reboot.

I've also had to reboot both modem/router if I switch out routers even though both the routers were using dd-wrt. Some modems don't seem recognize a new router or firmware unless rebooted.

Something easy to try.

Edit: My modems are both 7yr old DOCSIS 3.0 Zoom modems
foz111
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
No need to flash back to stock if you followed the correct flashing procedure, you could have simply switch partitions with a command line or using the x3 power switch method.
i recommend you post your configuration settings & remove from image your mac address and keep pics on forum about 760x760 (size from memory)
QueDog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the tips! I will try these on my next attempt.

Monza wrote:
I suggest you reboot both the your modem and router after flashing a new firmware. I've had to do that on several occasions. It allows the two to renegotiate settings and will often get the network back up.

Once the first time dd-wrt firmware has been flashed and up I've never had to reboot the modem again after the initial flashing. Once up and running I can always upgrade to a new dd-wrt release without rebooting the modem as the modem remembers previous settings negotiation. Some modem brands, on the other hand, don't seem to require a reboot.

I've also had to reboot both modem/router if I switch out routers even though both the routers were using dd-wrt. Some modems don't seem recognize a new router or firmware unless rebooted.

Something easy to try.

QueDog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you! I didn't know switching partitions was even possible. Is there a sticky for this? I'll work on a config image to have ready......

foz111 wrote:
No need to flash back to stock if you followed the correct flashing procedure, you could have simply switch partitions with a command line or using the x3 power switch method.
i recommend you post your configuration settings & remove from image your mac address and keep pics on forum about 760x760 (size from memory)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's in the main Installation and Cliff notes sticky...

... and plenty of places elsewhere throughout this forum.

QueDog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
It's in the main Installation and Cliff notes sticky...

... and plenty of places elsewhere throughout this forum.

I tried to run the telnet command and got Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

Even tried SSH command.
Zyxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
SSH daemon and telnet daemon aren't enabled by default.
You need to enable them first:

Services --> Services --> Secure Shell --> SSHd + Password Login

on the same page also telnet can be found.
QueDog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went back to the DD-WRT partition. Reset it to default and restarted it at the same time as my gateway. The internet is still not working. Here's my configuration.

Monza wrote:

Something easy to try.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the local IP address of your modem? What is the local IP address of your DD-WRT? If they are BOTH 192.168.1.x, then it won't work. And you should consider upgrading from 40559.

QueDog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
What is the local IP address of your modem? What is the local IP address of your DD-WRT? If they are BOTH 192.168.1.x, then it won't work. And you should consider upgrading from 40559.

Are you asking what's the gateway address it gets from my provider? Or, the DHCP address DD-WRT gets from my network?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you had posted a proper screenshot, I could probably answer my own question. I did't think my question was that difficult, but apparently it is. SO, ok. Yeah, what's the DD-WRT WAN IP it gets from your network and what is the LOCAL IP in the main setup page of your DD-WRT?

foz111
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
as i suggested please post your setup/basic setup screen shot (around 760x760 pixels then not to big for the forum to handel), please remove your mac address from picture!
QueDog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hopefully, you can see these screenshots of my gateway and dd-wrt setup.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
If you had posted a proper screenshot, I could probably answer my own question. I did't think my question was that difficult, but apparently it is. SO, ok. Yeah, what's the DD-WRT WAN IP it gets from your network and what is the LOCAL IP in the main setup page of your DD-WRT?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: