Another Bandwidth/Traffic Monitoring query.

matt2_uk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:52    Post subject: Another Bandwidth/Traffic Monitoring query. Reply with quote
Hi, firstly apologies if this is answered elsewhere but I've had a look and I can't easily find the exact solution to what I'm trying to do as I'm after something possibly slightly different.

I'm trying to find a way of monitoring individual device bandwidth usage within the LAN. Something similar to the DD-WRT in-built bandwidth trend pages but by device rather than by interface.
So far I've found and installed Yamon, but that seems to be targeted at the bandwidth each device is using through the WAN interface. What I'm specifically trying to do is find out usage within the LAN for kit like my IP cams, my NAS units, my iOT devices and then the PC's, phones, tablets etc. The purpose being to try and see if there's any potential bottleneck and help decide whether to swap my routers around if the higher usage is in the Office (located 60m down the garden). (WRT3200ACM in the house, and WRT1900ACS in the office)

My setup is like this...

Code:
Internet
   ¦
   ¦
ISP Router
 (LAN)
   ¦
   ¦
 (WAN)
WRT3200ACM (LAN)-------(LAN) WRT1900ACS
 (LAN)                                      (LAN)
   ¦                                               ¦
   ¦                                               ¦
iOT Devices                            iOT Devices
Laptop/Ipad/Phone                  Laptop/Ipad/Phone
CCTV                                     CCTV
Printer                                    NAS

I'm sure that this isn't an unusual question, so hopefully someone out there has worked out how to best do this?

Thanks, Matt
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
probb off topic..
IoT devices and CAM's are much safer on a isolated VLAN on one of the router ports connected in a switch that has a VLAN isolation too..in that way they will not be in to common LAN pool...and than you can monitor that VLAN

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: