Joined: 28 May 2020
|Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 14:38 Post subject: Connecting app to action cam (Insta 360 One R)
I am trying to connect an action cam (Insta 360 One R) to the corresponding app by using a DD-WRT router. As most action cams the Insta 360 One R only offers wifi as an AP and cannot be run as a client within an existing wifi network. So to connect the app one has to join the wifi network of the camera which then means that the android device is not connected to another wifi or mobile data which means one cannot use the internet while beeing connected to the camera.
So what I try to do is to have the DD-WRT router connect as a client to the camera while exposing the camera to an existing network either by LAN or using the second wifi (I use a DIR-868L with 2.4 & 5 GHZ.
Here is what I did and know so far:
- The cameras AP is called "ONE R XXXXXXXXXX" and has a fixed IP 192.168.42.1.
- My main router is 192.168.178.1
- I disabled WAN and
- configured a fixed IP 192.168.178.110 on the DD-WRT router and connected it over LAN to my main router. It can be reached from within my main network eg. with ssh.
- I added a route to 192.168.42.0/subnet 255.255.255.0 to main Router to send traffic to the target network to the DD-WRT router. Traceroute shows traffic to 192.168.42.1 is sent to the DD-WRT router.
- I configured DHCP to DHCP forwarding to the main router 192.168.178.1.
- As the cameras AP is only in 5GHZ network I configured the 5GHZ adapter wl1 to connect to the camera. I added the cameras AP password "88888888" as WPA2-PSK and under "Status->Wireless" I can see "1 client connected".
- Operating Mode under "Advanced Networking" is set to "Gateway".
- For wireless mode i tried "client", "client bridge", "repeater" and "repeater bridge".
Still I cannot reach the camera. If I ssh to the DD-WRT I cannot ping 192.168.42.1.
So I am stuck for the moment. Is it right to place the router with 192.168.178.110 into the main network or should i have configured it to the cameras network e.g. as 192.168.42.2? Then how do I establish the connection from my main network to the router? Or do I need some bridging configured? What is the right wireless mode? Thanks for any hints or directions.