Netgear R8000 Wan -> LAN Speed Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mvincent606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:42    Post subject: Netgear R8000 Wan -> LAN Speed Issues Reply with quote
I've posted about this over in the Netgear community but all they can seem to tell me is to factory reset (which does nothing at all to help the problem).

My Spectrum service is 200mbps down, 15 up, and I can get slightly more than that when I plug a laptop in to the cable modem directly but as soon as I run it through my R8000, the maximum (wired) speed I get is around 60mbps with the factory firmware, and about 70 with the DD-WRT firmware at its default settings. I've tried everything in the world I can think of and cannot imagine what is causing the issue.

QoS is off, no access control, IPV6 is off, and I've checked the optimum MTU and it is 1500 (which is the default).

I'm using "DD-WRT v3.0-r33675M kongac (11/03/17)" now.

The only thing I'm left with is that somehow the physical WAN port is dysfunctional in some way. Can DD-WRT be used to make one of the LAN ports behave as the WAN? I see a lot of talk about making the WAN port just another LAN port but not the other way around. Is such a thing possible?

I'm open to any and all suggestions, I've been pulling my hair out on this for several weeks now.
Sponsor
hazard209
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
This may sound crazy, but have you tested your ethernet cable? It's possible that the cable is "bad" or that there is interference.
mvincent606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not crazy at all - I've seen that happen plenty of times over the years. I did test this one. The exact same cable that gets me ~225mbps directly from the modem to a laptop is what the router is plugged in to. I also had several other C6 cables brand new in the plastic that I swapped out too.

Thanks though!
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the port green or yellow in the VLAN tab?
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could the problem be with the LAN ports of your R8000? Does all 4 ports behave the same? I supposed you may have tried different cables for clients connected to your R8000’s LAN ports? How about wireless speed for 2.4 or 5 GHz?
mvincent606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Is the port green or yellow in the VLAN tab?

I"m not really sure how to read this, but here's what it looks like.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.17 KB
 Viewed:  5976 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

mvincent606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
quarkysg wrote:
Could the problem be with the LAN ports of your R8000? Does all 4 ports behave the same? I supposed you may have tried different cables for clients connected to your R8000’s LAN ports? How about wireless speed for 2.4 or 5 GHz?

They all seem to do the same thing. I've swapped cables and tried all of the ports with the same result.
-XPTO-
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is Shortcut Forwarding Engine (SFE) enabled in the Basic Setup tab -> WAN Setup -> Optional Settings?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WAN port have a Gigbit connection.
Port 1 have a 100 Mbit (Fast Ethernet) connection.
Port 2,3 and 4 is not connected.
mvincent606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
-XPTO- wrote:
Is Shortcut Forwarding Engine (SFE) enabled in the Basic Setup tab -> WAN Setup -> Optional Settings?

No, it's not enabled. The DD-WRT settings are default except for my static IP config.
mvincent606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
The WAN port have a Gigbit connection.
Port 1 have a 100 Mbit (Fast Ethernet) connection.
Port 2,3 and 4 is not connected.

I'll have to have another look at this tonight, I don't remember what I had plugged in at the time but I'm pretty sure that was the laptop I was testing with (with the same cable I used to get the ~200mbps straight from the router). That would be interesting if it were only linking up at 100mbps at the port though.
mvincent606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
quarkysg wrote:

Apologies, I missed your reply (but certainly appreciate it and all the others!!).

All ports seem to behave the same. I systematically tested all of them with the same cable (and tried several brand new cables as well). I tried to eliminate as many variables as I could. I'm convinced there is something malfunctioning at a hardware level and I really suspect the WAN port as the culprit as it is the common denominator in every experiment so far.

As far as wireless speed goes - I didn't really benchmark any wireless connections. Do you think I should? Would that potentially point to the issue?
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
mvincent606 wrote:
Would that potentially point to the issue?

If you have higher thruput with wireless compared to wired, your probably have issues with the LAN ports. From the earlier post, looks like your wired clients are limited to 100mbps link speed, but even then you should be seeing a thruput of > 90mbps.

Is your router still under warranty? It could be busted hardware, since you’re also seeing this issue with factory firmware. Try having it replaced if under warranty.
-XPTO-
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
mvincent606 wrote:
-XPTO- wrote:

No, it's not enabled. The DD-WRT settings are default except for my static IP config.

Well, enable it and you will get a much higher speed.
mvincent606
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
-XPTO- wrote:
mvincent606 wrote:
-XPTO- wrote:

Well, enable it and you will get a much higher speed.

Quite the opposite -- I'm getting a whole 5mbps with it enabled.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: