RT-AC3200 2.4GHz 14 connected client limit post Kong 39960?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
bd0426
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 20:28    Post subject: RT-AC3200 2.4GHz 14 connected client limit post Kong 39960? Reply with quote
I have an Asus RT-AC3200 (a few actually) that has a strange wireless issue I can’t seem to solve or otherwise work-around since long-running Kong’s 37015 / 39960 builds on them. I recently had a little down time and thought I'd update to a BS build. This is a consistent problem starting with 41174 and continuing through 43192 that was released 2020-05-13.

On the 2.4GHz radio it appears I cannot successfully attach more than 14 clients to the 2.4GHz AP consistently. It seems as best I can tell that the AP stops connecting clients after 14 devices connect. Anything over that and the device will get an authentication error. If I disconnect any other device, the device with the authentication error will then connect successfully.

At first I thought it was related to using VAPs / multiple SSIDs, but after erasing NVRAM and setting it up as a stock 2.4GHz AP with default settings as well as recommended settings from the wiki and forums it exhibited the same behavior. The ‘max wireless clients’ is set to 80, which is apparently the largest number that field will allow. I don’t know if either of the 5GHz radios also exhibits this behavior due to my low number of 5GHz devices (6 total).

I do not have a problem with 20+ clients on either Kong build (37015 / 39960).

Typically with DD-WRT if I have a problem, a forum search turns up other posts that have solved or worked-around the issue and I don't often have to post inquiries of my own. In this case, I don’t see any mention of anyone else noting this behavior. I have tried at least two BS builds from every month since 41174 (the last version that doesn’t require the ‘nvram set brcm_unlock=1’ to choose a wireless channel) and always erase NVRAM / start from scratch with the same results. I see lots of ‘success’ reports on the various 41174 and newer ‘new build’ threads from other 3200 owners (and Netgear r8000 owners), which leads me to think nobody has many 2.4 clients, or I am doing something wrong that could be corrected. I am hoping for the latter.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: