Internet stops working randomly on PPPoE [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
profzelonka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 0:16    Post subject: Internet stops working randomly on PPPoE [SOLVED] Reply with quote
I set my CenturyLink modem (C3000A) to Transparent Bridge (tagged-201) and disabled all WAN/NAT settings, connected an ethernet cable between it and my Asus TM-AC1900 which I have running DD-WRT. I set up PPPoE credentials and have a few ports forwarded.

Problem: Sometimes I randomly lose internet for a random amount of time, sometimes just one device and not the other, other times all of internet entirely. DD-WRT shows everything as fine from what I can tell. Rebooting the router solves the issue.

How should I go about troubleshooting my issue?

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong board, I hope not, I'm a bit confused. Thank you.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which firmware build revision number are you running?

New Build - 05/16/2020 - r43171

Where Do I Download Firmware?

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
profzelonka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19)

Will try updating and see how it does. Do you have a reason to believe it could an issue already resolved? I've also been suspecting my CenturyLink modem as I've found others with general transparent bridge issues but I'm not sure if it relates to my situation at all.
profzelonka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problem still occurring. Woke up to no internet at all. Crying or Very sad Guess I'm back to using the lame CenturyLink modem as a router again.. Again, any idea if this could be a DD-WRT problem or any ideas on how I can troubleshoot it?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may have to set up some kind of cron job to restart the PPPoE connection during non-use hours. I seem to think it's probably your ISP kicking you off, but that has to be determined. Everyone seems to blame DD-WRT for something that *may* have nothing to do with DD-WRT.

----------------------
profzelonka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a way to log activity that could give me any clue to what happens?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Services->System Log->Syslogd (and Klogd) enabled, "Save"
Security->Log Management enable, low, enable all, "Save"
Reboot the router for changes to be applied.

----------------------
SFB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
@profzelonka Do you have a fiber connection? If so you can / should be able to completely remove the C3000A from the system. Just set everything up on your t-mobile router and plug the ethernet cable from the ONT into the WAN port of the Asus router.

If you have IPTV: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/IPTV_-_blocking_multicast_on_WIFI

Last edited by SFB on Wed May 20, 2020 15:34; edited 1 time in total
profzelonka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately I'm on a bonded VDSL2, I wish I had fiber.. I'd just buy another modem but it's either the C300A or Z, and Z is worse so no go..

I don't use IPTV, altho to be honest I'm still confused as to what it is.

I am trying to utilize my home server, which I have trouble reaching when I use my C3000A (inconsistent DNS issues of some sort..), thence why I'm trying to bypass my modem and have my router do PPPoE and everything else, but looks like that's a no go.

The internet is used all week for work from other people in the house so I'm not even sure I'll get a chance to get logs again. Altho, if I were, is there anything specific I should look for to find out if it's a. my router, b. dd-wrt, or c. my modem/provider?
SFB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm... I just took a look at centurylink's modem page and it appears that they don't even offer a plain modem anymore. I would call / chat with centurylink and see what other options you have.

It might be worth testing with the dd-wrt router doing the vlan tagging on the wan port and having the centurylink router set as a transparent bridge and transport mode set to untagged.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

EDIT: Removed incorrect information. Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by SFB on Wed May 20, 2020 18:31; edited 1 time in total
profzelonka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks SFB! I'll try it out this weekend! It's not the utility he's referencing but what SFB wrote, to try tagging o nthe router and disabling on the modem. Worth a shot!
SFB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an FYI: Since your TM-AC1900 is basically a RT-AC68U you should be able to flash Freshtomato on it and set the VID=201 right from the GUI. Be sure to double check the hardware for compatibility with Freshtomato. If you do decide to give Freshtomato a try remember that default username to access the GUI has been changed from “admin” to “root” and don't forget to clear the NVRAM. The ASUS Firmware Restoration tool might also be helpful.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29358085-VLAN-Tagging-on-Tomato-for-FTTH

Another option would be to get a plain (VDSL2) modem and cheap smart switch to do the VLAN tagging and then your Asus router.

These links describe using Centrylink fiber but the general idea would also apply to your situation.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1024189
https://kmwoley.com/blog/bypassing-needless-centurylink-wireless-router-on-gigabit-fiber/
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31043915-How-to-almost-use-any-router-with-CenturyLink-s-1-Gig-Internet
profzelonka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks SFB!

- Tried tagging on DD-WRT instead. Same.
- Tried FreshTomato, once I set the VLAN I lost access to router then it got in a reboot loop, so I gave up on FreshTomato.
- Tried Melvin, got all excited, woke up to no internet, so, same.
- Asked CenturyLink about modems, they only have combo modem/routers. Bonded compatible devices are: C1900A, C2000A, C2100A, C2000T, C2100T, and of course C3000A which I have and C3000Z which I keep reading bad things about. lol

Going to go pick up a C2100T, hoping that modem will be fine with transparent bridge mode...

Thanks again!
profzelonka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wanted to follow up. C2100T modem is working perfectly well for days now. Issue was not dd-wrt or router, but CenturyLink's rental modem (specifically model C3000A).

Solution: Bought C2100T off of OfferUp. Razz
(Had a tricky set up for transparent bridge, had to set up broadband page first with pppoe on, then turn on transparent, go back to broadband and manually set to tagged, then give quite a few mins and works.)

Thanks guys.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: