DD WRT updates and config settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
iFrog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 17:48    Post subject: DD WRT updates and config settings Reply with quote
Hey all,
I recently brought up a question in the latest build thread for the DD WRT releast for 05/13/20, and I got the answer I needed, but I have another question, that I'm going to ask in this new thread as not to hijack the other off topic too much.

When settings and parts are changed between releases, I was just curious if the config files are updated accordingly as well. For example: in this case, the Local DNS setting was removed, and I wasn't aware of it until I was directed to the trac link. I am asking because while the router and all existing settings are fine, I was just wondering if the config files are updated as well per released to remove all unnecessary settings, or if I am stuck with ghosted settings now.

The other question I wanted to piggy back onto the first since they are similar, How often do I need to update DD WRT when it comes to bug and security patches? That's the main reason I typically flash each new release to have the latest bugfixes and security patches.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 19:17    Post subject: Re: DD WRT updates and config settings Reply with quote
iFrog wrote:
When settings and parts are changed between releases, I was just curious if the config files are updated accordingly as well. For example: in this case, the Local DNS setting was removed, and I wasn't aware of it until I was directed to the trac link. I am asking because while the router and all existing settings are fine, I was just wondering if the config files are updated as well per released to remove all unnecessary settings, or if I am stuck with ghosted settings now.
That setting was removed since local_dns was already deprecated w/ the removal of udhcpd. In general, you never need to worry about config changes...until you have an issue. In which case it is advised to 1) use the latest build after checking the build thread and 2) reset and manually configure.

In general, as BS has stated, resets should almost never be required.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#How_do_I_clear_the_NVRAM.3F_Reset_to_factory.2Ffirmware_defaults.3F_Cold_reboot.3F
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1127454#1127454
iFrog wrote:
How often do I need to update DD WRT when it comes to bug and security patches? That's the main reason I typically flash each new release to have the latest bugfixes and security patches.
It depends on your level of masochism. Razz
And paranoia. Cool

If you hear news of some major vuln affecting routers, it'd be a good time to peruse the forums for applicability. But if you're the flash-and-forget type, likely no problem.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
iFrog
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Very much for the information. I will reference those links posted above. As far as being paranoid, I'm not. I was just curious since DD WRT isn't stock firmware, and when most threats are mentioned they are usually in regards to the firmware provided by router manufactures so I was just curious as to how DD WRT addressed the issues of security and patches for CEVs and other threats.

On the topic of upgrades and resets ,etc. I'm pretty well versed with Linux on the desktop, a router isn't a full desktop operating system so my question was mainly how much of a Linux environment is provided in DD WRT compared to a desktop, and can it be treated the same way. Yes, I'm pretty much someone who likes to configure and forget, but at the same time, I do like to stay current if there are bugs, and CEVs, etc that are patched. I have pretty much learned the way things are done around here now, so I know how to check the build threads before blindly flashing each new release. On that note though, is there anyway to know if problems reported on those threads are user error vs actual problems with the firmware build, or is it really more a ratio of who has problems vs who doesn't when feedback is given. I know for this past build I waited to flash, but it turns out some of the issues reported were for the specific setups, and not universal problems in the firmware itself. Anyway, thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: