Wifi Router for Security. Budget around $100-$150 [Canada]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
SecureOverAll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 13:32    Post subject: Wifi Router for Security. Budget around $100-$150 [Canada] Reply with quote
Hey guys, not looking for a 2nd hand router. Been hacked 3rd time recently and possibly 4th time or just an attack. I have all-in-one router, tv(moca)\phone\internet. Firmware is from 2017 latest, its a security risk but I can deal with that later with the company. I hate wifi, just hate it but with my family they need it. They don't understand the security risks cause they have nothing to lose. Going crazy, learning linux to and trying to secure my pc.

Anyways 2 places paying in cash. Canadacomputers[dot]com and bestbuy[dot]com. Prefer to stay with canadacomputers if possible. Anything $100-$150 max. What would I be looking for in firmware security wise? speed isn't an issue and or the wifi range.

Another question. DD-WRT supports Netgear R7000P but CanadaComputers sells "NETGEAR (R7000P-100CNS) Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router A" Would that flash properly? or unsupported?

5 hours or so I have to buy someone today along with other things, if someone here is also a security guru let me know what to buy, what its for and I can research that quickly.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear R7800, an older Linksys EA8500 or Netgear R7500v2. It seems you want to save money but do not want to buy used.
Keep in mind if flashing the router yourself, you can have the best of both worlds. Check local listings, offerup, ebay, craigslist etc.

R7800 is easier to deal with, as it has a TFTP recovery mode and the most firmware options/support. There is no USB to TTL serial adapter cable required such as Adafruit 954 or DTECH FTDI 3.3V, but it's always good to have one on-hand. R7000P is supported.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_devices
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/05-13-2020-r43136/

Amazon.ca TP-Link Archer A7 $150 this would be a better choice than R7000P
SecureOverAll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess so, I'm just worried someone would add a raspberry zero or something something similar but about to buy some so I would be able to spot it. I'll lookup quickly. I decided to buy raspberry zero and zero wireless + pi4. I'll be adding pihole to a zero and other 2 I'll figure out later. Finding that made me realize I know nothing of firewalls, no wonder I got attacked easily. Just hop my network is not infected cause it'll just be a reoccurring problem. My wifi passwords are 64 characters long, its a pain to add on 3 devices for my family.

Those 2 links alone helped me so much! I spent few hrs searching whats available nearby the hard way xD Thank you man
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: