Bridge a Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 to a new router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
sjdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 16:42    Post subject: Bridge a Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 to a new router Reply with quote
I have a Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 router that works fine - but now with the whole family back in the house finding out that some rooms do not get a good wifi signal. So wondering if I can buy a new router(R7800 seems to be the most recommended), place it in the middle of the house, and bridge the two routers to solve the signal strength issue? Or just use a mesh system and forget about Linksys and R7800?
I also read that setting up 2 routers in bridged mode that have different chipsets may not work - so any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not a GURU by any stretch of the imagination and those on this forum may be more informative, but I will mention my experiences with multiple router setups since I am quite successful in my setup.

First off you mention considering a different Chipset (Netgear) for your extension. Yes you are correct that you may experience some quirks. Although I do have a few extenders and an older Netgear, I have always reverted to using my WRT's as they are the only way I can use WDS linking. I must mention that with the exception of not having WDS, Bridging has always worked with differing chipsets. I have not tried this with the most recent builds however, but do suspect that it is still doable.

As far as MESH goes, I maybe wrong but I believe that DD-WRT does not at this time support any system. I do like the look of this setup but don't like the fact that I cannot have full control over the network, much like running stock firmware on the usual routers. This is why I use DD-WRT in the first place. Also the cost of these systems is quite high compared to using a WDS network. Again I mention the gurus might have a different opinion, so watch for their comments.

If you look at my profile you can see that I run at least 3 routers in WDS Station mode on the 5Ghz channel and have the majority of my outboard devices on the 2.4Ghz since that is all they support. Exception to this is my laptops which I have a VAP (5Ghz) on one station which allows for use of the laptops on the opposite side of the house.

There are few quirks with WDS and VAP's of which most have been resolved in recent builds.

Still in the end it is still up to you as which way you would like to proceed, but regardless there is a lot of help available here on the forums.

WRT3200acm r44538 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r44538 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r44048
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

(SPARE)WRT1900AC V1 r44048 On LAN
5Ghz WDS AP Ch149(+6) 80Mghz
2.4Ghz Ch 6 20Mhz N/G Mixed

WRT1200AC V1 r44048 LAN
2.4Ghz 20Mhz Ch 6 Mixed
5 Ghz 80Mhz Ch 149 (UUU+6) WDS AP

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
15 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 2 laptop, 12 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you able to physically connect the two devices via ethernet cable?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's good tutorial material in the dd-wrt wiki on connecting multiple routers.

Re signal strength... I have the same router and was surprised by how much better I did on signal strength from one small change: do not align the four antennas in a parallel fashion. Each of my four points a different way, and it helps a bit, in my case just enough. That way a client can't fall in nulls of all of them simultaneously. It will always be in a good direction for one or more of them.

Of course the classic advice is to try lower bandwidth settings in wifi config. On 2.4G stick to NG-Mixed with a fixed channel, and on 5G stick to AC/N-Mixed with a fixed channel. Check out the Atheros-wifi guide https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings for other possible settings adjustments as well. You never know.

VLANs, multiple VAPs, NAS, client-mode travel router, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), DDNS, wireguard server, two wireguard clients (AzireVPN), use of two DNSCrypt DNS providers (inc Quad9) through OpenVPN and wireguard clients.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: