Netgear R9000 - latest build 40559 - WAN port won't work

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 22:54    Post subject: Netgear R9000 - latest build 40559 - WAN port won't work Reply with quote
Hi,
I have a Netgear R9000 (X10 Nighthawk). I have installed build 40559, which is the latest thing in the router database.

My problem is I can't seem to get the WAN port to function. When I plug it into my Comcast cable modem, it sits there indicating WAN IP address is 0.0.0.0 (and of course won't connect to the internet). When I plug it into my own network, it also won't get an IP address.

- DHCP server is plugged in and functioning
- status lights on the ethernet switch indicate it is connected (no blinky traffic, though)
- I can't tell whether the "Internet" LED on the front of the router is supposed to function, it does come on but that's true regardless of whether the WAN cable is plugged in or not. Suspect LED control is not what I think it is.
- Suspiciously, the 10G light is on, though I don't have 10G anywhere. Could that mean something? How would I disable 10G?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

-Jon C.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 0:10    Post subject: Re: Netgear R9000 - latest build 40559 - WAN port won't work Reply with quote
joncarlson wrote:
Hi,
I have a Netgear R9000 (X10 Nighthawk). I have installed build 40559, which is the latest thing in the router database.

My problem is I can't seem to get the WAN port to function. When I plug it into my Comcast cable modem, it sits there indicating WAN IP address is 0.0.0.0 (and of course won't connect to the internet). When I plug it into my own network, it also won't get an IP address.

- status lights on the ethernet switch indicate it is connected (no blinky traffic, though)
- I can't tell whether the "Internet" LED on the front of the router is supposed to function, it does come on but that's true regardless of whether the WAN cable is plugged in or not. Suspect LED control is not what I think it is.
- Suspiciously, the 10G light is on, though I don't have 10G anywhere. Could that mean something? How would I disable 10G?

-Jon C.

my guess is that you did not reboot your cable modem and it is not issuing an IP address to the Wan. Do that first.

And you're not finding the builds in the right spot. Always use the following link to find the latest builds.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please ignore the router database.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/

Also read the most recent build threads; you will find user feedback. Here's the past three.

New Build - 12/03/2019 - r41659

New Build - 12/06/2019 - r41664

New Build - 12/10/2019 - r41686

The cable modem may be searching for the old WAN MAC address of your router (it likely changed when you flashed DD-WRT). If a simple power cycle of the cable modem doesn't fix the problem, call your ISP and tell them you bought a new router or alternatively you can configure DD-WRT to use the old MAC address.
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:47    Post subject: Re: Netgear R9000 - latest build 40559 - WAN port won't work Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

my guess is that you did not reboot your cable modem and it is not issuing an IP address to the Wan. Do that first.

And you're not finding the builds in the right spot. Always use the following link to find the latest builds.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

Thanks for the link to other software builds.

But, I have definitely rebooted the cable modem. Multiple times. And, as I said, I have tried to get it to link to my internal network and it won’t get an address there either with the WAN port.
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:

The cable modem may be searching for the old WAN MAC address of your router (it likely changed when you flashed DD-WRT). If a simple power cycle of the cable modem doesn't fix the problem, call your ISP and tell them you bought a new router or alternatively you can configure DD-WRT to use the old MAC address.

Called ISP (Comcast) who said it wasn’t an issue to have a new MAC address. Have rebooted cable modem multiple times and in both orders (modem then router, also r outer then modem). Have tried setting router to use the old MAC address, also to no avail.

Also doesn’t work with my internal network, so I think it’s not the cable modem.

Thanks for the ideas though, keep ‘em coming!
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, can someone give me the latest on where to find the stable builds? It kind of seems like the router database was getting better attention than years past. But the betas come fast and furious, how can one easily find a stable build for a given hardware?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would flash a more recent build (see my previous post). If having issues flashing with Chrome, try Waterfox Classic.

For example, you can start with r41659 and wait until feedback from a new build thread when an upcoming build releases.
ironstaff
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 19:50    Post subject: Re: Netgear R9000 - latest build 40559 - WAN port won't work Reply with quote
joncarlson wrote:
Hi,

-Jon C.

Are you sure you don’t have it plugged into an SFP-installed 10G port on your R9000? The WAN port is the yellow port and should be the port to receive WAN cable. Might want to check that if you’re certain your DHCP is functioning correctly.

Also make sure DHCP is automatic on Setup —> Basic Setup under WAN Connection Type on your R9000.

Try and upgrade to latest build as referenced by others in this thread before more troubleshooting. If all fails, Reset To factory defaults and try installing latest firmware again. Very Happy Wink
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’ve finally gotten back to this and gotten it to work. Turned out the host name/domain name combo was causing Comcast not to give me an IP address via DHCP. These had been hanging around from my prior DDWRT configs but had never been an issue before. Once I got rid of them then the WAN began working.

I now have build 41659 running.

I now have a new problem.
I use an internal DHCP server on my LAN. So I have DHCP disabled on the Setup tab in DDWRT. However, I have a guest WI-FI network that is not bridged to my LAN, and on that interface I had the DHCP enabled (with a different subnet). I had this setup with my older DDWRT config and it worked.

On this one, it still says DHCP is enabled on my LAN.

- I have DHCP server set to disabled on the Setup/Basic Setup page
- I have the Multiple DHCP Enabled on the Setup/Networking tab
- I have DNSMasq config flags dhcp-option entered in Services/Services tab like my previous config
- BUT under the Status/LAN tab, the DHCP status says enabled and shows my private LAN subnet of addresses.

See screenshots attached.

Any input? How do I ensure I get the DHCP to only work on the guest network?

Thank you!
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, here’s the status page showing dhcp is still enabled.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smaller pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Smaller pictures.

Sorry, tried uploading from my iPad. These should be smaller.
joncarlson
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
And the fourth.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHCP Forwarder, perhaps. You have to change the DHCP type, also, if I am not mistaken.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can use DHCP Forwarder, but your DHCP Server must have a scope for 192.168.2.0.

When you have settings in the Additional DNSMasq, you don't have to enable DHCP in the GUI.

Using 100-200 as DHCP range is a bad idea. Use numbers that match binary, i.e. 128-255 that can later be referenced with a SIDR notation.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: