[SOLVED sort of]Wireguard and NordVPN

docjohn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 21:56    Post subject: [SOLVED sort of]Wireguard and NordVPN Reply with quote
Finally NordVPN goes WIREGUARD.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/wireguard-nordvpn-nordlynx

Hopefully there will be a guide soon for DD-WRT.

I already have now Wireguard from MullVad and that's working fine but I already paid NordVpn for three years!

John
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL guide you say? See the 2nd and 4th stickies.

WireGuard Setup Guide by egc

Idiot's Guide to Configuring Wireguard - Client Tunnel by Hellakenut

Maybe you want a provider specific walkthrough? Sorry, I already put my clown down.

The next public build after 04-20-2020-r42954 will have updated WireGuard 1.0 and tools.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this was originally posted in Broadcom, General, or Atheros, I forget. I moved it to where it should've been posted. I wasn't going to comment. Probably because I knew you or @egc would Wink Cool
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
The article is about the release of NordVPN's client software applications for all the major operating systems.

It wasn't a full roll out until recently, after WireGuard 1.0 was audited and released. Full deployment is April 24 for all users.

Also, their double NAT solution to the static IP situation prevents identifiable information from being stored or leaked.
dahosepipe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found this thread for someone having success with OpenWRT/NordVPN/Wireguard.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/solved-nordvpn-openwrt-wireguard-client/36742

I've contacted NordVPN for credentials and they say they aren't supporting native wireguard yet. Ugh.

Anyone else have any success with dd-wrt/nordvpn/wireguard?
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use NG wireguard on my Android TV through their app. Works great.

I don't believe there is going to be a way to work their double-NAT magic through a router though, but it's hard to be sure, because they are vague about exactly what it does.

They may decide to allow router users to configure a straight wg client without the double-NAT. Or they may not. They have hinted in the past that they don't intend to support the router community indefinitely. They really want people on their apps.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
droblesa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any update on trying to set up Wireguard with NordVPN. I came across this post https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/m0989o/nordvpn_wireguard_setup_works/ and wondered it if its helpful to get us going with connecting.

Im trying to make sense of this but would appreciate it if someone more familiar with wireguard setup would look at it.
strange
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent guide from @egc

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324624

And I'm guessing that you will need to update your firmware.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you use a macOS you can follow this guide to get your wiregards private and public keys directly on osx in a easy way:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/xqz102/extract_nordvpn_wireguard_config_with_macos_no/

I've found that it works better at least for me with MTU = 1384 and with nordvpn DNS servers via tunnel 103.86.96.100, 103.86.99.100.

Also found that instead of using the ip adress on endpoins address you can use for example us5103.nordvpn.com . This way you can easily change the enpoins just changing the inital andress for example uk1957.nordpvn.com. The private and public keys are the same.

I hope this can help someone.

Take Care
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
I use NG wireguard on my Android TV through their app. Works great.

I don't believe there is going to be a way to work their double-NAT magic through a router though, but it's hard to be sure, because they are vague about exactly what it does.

They may decide to allow router users to configure a straight wg client without the double-NAT. Or they may not. They have hinted in the past that they don't intend to support the router community indefinitely. They really want people on their apps.

What's the difference in running it in Linux distro regarding double nat?
I've used Nord wg in router for over 12 months with no issues.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Herondas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111: I would like to use NordVPN Wireguard on my dd-wrt router but I am confused on how to set it up from the search results on it.

If you are using NordVPN Wireguard on dd-wrt can you point at a guide to setting it up or provide instructions? Maybe it exists and I just haven't found it.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327397 ... all must be there...
Im not a WG user...but usually its easy to set...read the guides...
There must be some WG info inside the guides, more decent than the Nord VPN guide....u guess... Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: