[Solved] WNDR3700 client mode w/ Intelbras twibi fast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
brunotorres
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 19:07    Post subject: [Solved] WNDR3700 client mode w/ Intelbras twibi fast Reply with quote
Hello. I've been trying to set my old WNDR3700 (v1, using the latest dd-wrt version available, flashed yesterday) as a client to connect to my router which is a mesh network comprised of three routers (it's a brazilian hardware, Intelbras Twibi fast).

Problem is, in my son's room, his wireless receiver is 2.4GHz only, so its connecting all over the place, and I'd like it to connect to a specific AP. I'm convinced that 5GHz would do (I mean, 2.4GHz as a client with MAC filter probably would do too, but still).

When I set it as client (not client bridge) in the 2.4GHz interface it works as a charm.

When I set the same thing in the 2.4GHz interface it has a weird behavior: I go to status->wireless, ath1, and watch it right after rebooting the router. A few seconds in, it gets assigned a channel (40) and one or two seconds later goes back to "unknown", meaning (I suppose), the connection was dropped.

My router is g/n/ac. I tried setting up the client as N-only, mixed, etc. Same thing.
It has a 40MHz and 80MHz channel width. The options in the dd-wrt panel are either 20, 40 ou 20/40. Tried 40 and 20/40, both with the same results as before.

The documentation of my router says it's WAP2-PSK. I set the wireless security to WPA2-AES, which I suppose should work (it works for the 2.4GHz) but nothing. Tried TKIP too, no luck.

Do any of you have any idea what could be the problem here? If you need any additional information, I can provide.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Send pictures of the intelbras setup/configuration. 760 pixels wide please.

However, it most likely is a compatability issue between hardware chipsets. Intelbras is using cheap realtek chips which will never play nice with Atheros/QCA.

Chipset Realtek® RTL8197FNT+RTL8812BR

CPU1: Realtek RTL8197FNT (600 MHz- scales to 1ghz)
WI2 chip1: Realtek RTL8812BR (5ghz most likely)

https://backend.intelbras.com/sites/default/files/2020-01/Datasheet_Twibi_Fast.pdf

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]45778 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800]napping
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
brunotorres
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
This intelbras twibi was an error, it has no real config, it's all done in an app, very fool proof, so there's nothing really to send a pic here.

And, is it normal to play well with the 2.4 and not in the 5?

Do you think it'd probably an impossibile issue?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
When connected to the twibi fast, does 10.0.0.1 reveal the router gui? Otherwise try 192.168.0.1

Having an app to control everything sucks...

Realtek and QCA is like Português vs. english.... some things will never translate perfectly... each company has minor differences in how they implement wifi standards and sometimes there will be conflicts which mean certain devices might not connect the right way... Realtek makes a lot of chipsets used on computer motherboards and this is a new venture for them into the wifi market in a standalone router. I've never seen a router use Realtek until now. My educated guess is that Tenda is making this mesh router for Intelbras. Here is a nearly identical specification which is ultimately made by Tenda:
https://tinyurl.com/Tenda-Realtek

For the wifi security, I would make sure that the Intelibras is using WPA2-PSK AES so that should help eliminate connection issues for the 3700 using WPA2 Personal CCMP-128 (AES) to connect to the Intelibras.

If you can, disable MU-MIMO on the Intelibras. MU-MIMO is marketing crap and doesn't translate properly between chipset manufacturers.

The 3700 is only good to HT40 in 5GHZ, maybe try setting the Intelibras to HT40 too? Though HT80 will speak to HT40 clients ok. The 5ghz Realtek chip claims to be wave-2 HT160...but nothing will be able to use HT160 so only use HT80 or HT40 mode in 5ghz.

Start with those tips.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800]napping
brunotorres
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, thanks a lot. But I think I'll have to give up. There's no way to access those features on the twib, there's not even a web interface. And the app is very barebones.
It works fine, though, I finally have internet all over and around the house with great speed. This was the only problem I had and, to be fair, I'm being a little particular with that.
Probably better to buy a 5ghz adapter, those are cheap...
But I thought it was a good project, that unfortunately lead to nothing. At least I learnt something.

Thanks again.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amazing that there is no web interface....Junk for any real user wanting to make configurations...very very dumb design by Intelbras.

http://forum.intelbras.com.br/viewtopic.php?p=230341#p230341

Sorry Mate! Best of luck to you!

[R7800]napping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: