R7800 Discussion - 2016

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
spencerm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:01    Post subject: R7800 Discussion - 2016 Reply with quote
Hi guys, I'm a bit new to the WRT world. I got an R7800 looking to replace an old Draytek as it's hung on me a few times. Thanks very my for the development of this software.

I'm struggling to get my R7800 setup the way I like. Wonder if you guys can point me in the right direction. I've got a /29 from my ISP that I want to NAT on the R7800. I've looked into some of the docs that are pointing me at doing manual iptables rules for the NAT but I'm failing to get them working. Also, is there a way of defining in the GUI all the networks inside the router? By default it sets up some rules for NAT and security for the LAN defined on the LAN interface but it doesn't seem to have anywhere to put the other apart from the static routing entries.

I can do a diagram of the network if needed. but it's pretty straight forward.
Sponsor
thedak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:29    Post subject: Privoxy Reply with quote
<kong>, thanks so much for this fantastic build. Been running since the 5/16 build (now on the 5/29 build) with no wireless issues, reboots, etc.

One question, I've enabled the embedded Privoxy in transparent mode. It kills my goodsync and no matter what I put in the whitelist (forwarders, mediators, etc), it still hangs it. As soon as I disable Privoxy it returns to life.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
has anyone tried vht160 throughput testing? if such clients even exist..short of another r7800

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

thedak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 14:26    Post subject: JFFS2 support? Reply with quote
Great build. Question, I enabled JFF2 in the administration tab, but always seem to have zero available space. Is this a manifestation of this build? I do have a USB drive connected without issue. Would like to use JFFS for Privoxy

BusyBox v1.24.2 (2016-06-02 01:25:04 CEST) built-in shell (ash)

root@DAK-R7800:~# cd /jffs
root@DAK-R7800:/jffs# mkdir test
mkdir: can't create directory 'test': Read-only file system
root@DAK-R7800:/jffs# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 23.1M 23.1M 0 100% /
/dev/root 23.1M 23.1M 0 100% /
none 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/sda1 465.8G 180.2G 285.6G 39% /tmp/mnt/sda1
root@DAK-R7800:/jffs#
carucio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 17:52    Post subject: openvpn, jffs, esata Reply with quote
Thank you Kong, I have been playing with an r7800 this weekend and I'm impressed by how well your builds work already considering they're very young.
The few problems I've noticed so far:
The performance of Openvpn seems constrained somehow: using it as a client against the same exact server / encryption I get far lower cpu usage on an Asus ac68u while at the same transfer speed (10mbps, limited by the server). Not sure this is caused by the build or the kernel v3 vs v4, but I almost have a feeling this might be caused by excessive cpu throttling on the r7800.
Second issue is I cannot use the esata port: nothing happens when I connect a working device.. Checked the kernel modules list to see if there's anything I need to load but couldn't find anything.
Third isssue is Jffs doesn't seem to work.. Says it's read only even after clearing it.
Finally the wireless led lights don't work but I think I read that's a driver issue.
Hope this helps and let me know in case you want me to run any additional test that would help troubleshooting these. Thanks and great job on this.
Can't believe how well it works overall after just a few builds!
carucio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 19:35    Post subject: Performance issues Reply with quote
Actually I also see very high CPU usage when writing to USB, at least compared to the Asus ac68u, which should be about 50% slower in terms of CPU. So not only an Openvpn issue but in general a CPU performance issue.
Anybody else experiencing this?
laylomo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 23:55    Post subject: Re: openvpn Reply with quote
carucio wrote:
Thank you Kong, I have been playing with an r7800 this weekend and I'm impressed by how well your builds work already considering they're very young.
The few problems I've noticed so far:
The performance of Openvpn seems constrained somehow: using it as a client against the same exact server / encryption I get far lower cpu usage on an Asus ac68u while at the same transfer speed (10mbps, limited by the server). Not sure this is caused by the build or the kernel v3 vs v4, but I almost have a feeling this might be caused by excessive cpu throttling on the r7800.
Second issue is I cannot use the esata port: nothing happens when I connect a working device.. Checked the kernel modules list to see if there's anything I need to load but couldn't find anything.
Third isssue is Jffs doesn't seem to work.. Says it's read only even after clearing it.
Finally the wireless led lights don't work but I think I read that's a driver issue.
Hope this helps and let me know in case you want me to run any additional test that would help troubleshooting these. Thanks and great job on this.
Can't believe how well it works overall after just a few builds!

First - thank you Kong for supporting this device, your continuing effort is much appreciated.

Lurker's first post, been on an aging N66U for several years and jumped over to a R7800 last week.

I'm experiencing the same issue here OpenVPN tunnel, was at 12mbps up/down previously maxed out on the old router, now it spikes up to 12mbps however it times out or stalls and is unstable (exact same VPN server and settings) and often at times its hovering below 1mbps with inconsistencies.

Anything I could share to provide details?

Separate thought, does anyone know the stock RAM speed on this devices or have attempted to overclock it?
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the -little- off topic, I can't find a general R7800 thread (not Kong build) I want to buy this router but I have two simply questions:

1) DD-WRT to stock firmware I've read is not yet done by Kong but I don't understand if it is possible to flash the stock firmware from the BrainSlayer build?
2) the jffs partition is working on BS or Kong build? I need it for setting up privoxy.

Thanks!
dissent
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a small question, maybe a stupid one, but where do you get board.bin file for qca9984 firmware?
Is it the same case? https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/ath.git/commit/?h=pending&id=4f79bdf2db7bcfa9c7c093fd423af801b9797c63
thedak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:15    Post subject: 6/28 Build Comments Reply with quote
Okay, I was running the 6/24 30016 build on my R7800 without issues. I loaded the 6/28 <kong> 30055 build using the webif. Both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands work fine. My only issue so far seems that my USB drive (which mounted without issue on 30016) won't mount on 30055. It briefly spins up then shuts down. Did it a few times with reboots, etc - no go. I did an erase nvram before the webif update and afterwards as well. No indication in the /var/log/messages to indicate why though?
cybrnook
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe try with a non-rotational drive (thumb drive) and see if it also still has issues mounting on boot.

I wonder if its just having a hard time powering the drive (assuming your using a USB powered rotational)
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another new build 6/30...
thedak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 20:51    Post subject: 6/30 Build Reply with quote
Just loaded up 6/30 build (30080). The USB NAS problem I was having with 30055 is gone - it is fine now. No immediate issues.

Thanks <kong>!
cybrnook
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Dak for the reply. Out of curiosity, are the wifi led's still not working on the router?
dissent
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong is there any chance that you include transmission into your builds?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 29
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: