Problem reverting to stock from r42910 on R6400v1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kjk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 22:29    Post subject: Problem reverting to stock from r42910 on R6400v1 Reply with quote
Trying to revert to stock from r42910 on R6400v1. DD-WRT persists.

What I did:
1) ethernet cable to lan port 4
2) hard reset router (EDIT: factory reset holding down button, not 30/30/30)
3) firmware upgrade via webui latest official netgear firmware (R6400-V1.0.1.52_1.0.36.chk) with "Reset after upgrade" checked
4) Another hard reset with the rear button after finishing and waited for it to restart

I tried checking and unchecking reset after upgrade from the ui. DD-WRT persists after all said and done. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by kjk on Sat Apr 18, 2020 16:50; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
DO NOT 30-30-30 Reset ARM Devices

You could try recovery mode or nmrpflash.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/R6400-Ac1750-corrupted-firmware/td-p/1595858

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash/releases

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
kjk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
DO NOT 30-30-30 Reset ARM Devices

You could try recovery mode or nmrpflash.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/R6400-Ac1750-corrupted-firmware/td-p/1595858

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash/releases

Sorry, I mispoke, when I wrote hard reset I meant simple factory reset holding the reset button not 30/30/30.

Thanks for the links, I will try going down the nmrp route - looks like an interesting protocol!

Though I have not given up yet, last night I reverted to r42054 from the latest build. Though I think my rebooting and slowdown problems might be as simple as a faulty power adapter. To my horror, I discovered that the wall outlet was not grounded Confused . Could be dirty power coming in or last year when we had power outages, the netgear adapter might have took a hit. I've changed outlets and luckily I had a spare 30W adapter to test, so far working flawlessly today but will keep monitoring. No idea if it's software or hardware related since I'm throwing the kitchen sink at the problem.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally use a power conditioner / surge suppressor for my network equipment. Plugging straight into an outlet leaves suppression solely on your power adapter, and it will take a bite at the drop of a hat. I want to install a whole house power conditioner / surge suppressor setup eventually, but all the outlets in the house already have GFCI breakers, which is a good thing.

----------------------
kjk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I personally use a power conditioner / surge suppressor for my network equipment. Plugging straight into an outlet leaves suppression solely on your power adapter, and it will take a bite at the drop of a hat. I want to install a whole house power conditioner / surge suppressor setup eventually, but all the outlets in the house already have GFCI breakers, which is a good thing.

I did have a surge protector on that outlet, and incidentally that's how I discovered that it wasn't grounded since the LED light was indicating it - not sure how I missed it earlier. That surge protector is old anyways so I swapped it with a newer and more robust one. Yes, a GFCI is on my list for sure. Learning a ton from this whole experience that's for sure!
kjk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: Turns out the reboot problem and slowdown is not hardware related but software. I was running r42054 all weekend and it worked flawlessly. I took it to stock using nmrp and then decided to test it with the semi-latest build r42925 and then the reboots started happening again. Will report this in the build thread.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know what to look at to test, but I would advise starting at default, out-of-the-box configuration after initial flash and reset to defaults, and then slowly add your personal configurations - using "save" and rebooting at each step and then letting it run, etc. and so on until you find the exact config item that causes it. There has been a lot going on with several things within the firmware, so pinpointing the cause may be tedious.

----------------------
kjk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I don't know what to look at to test, but I would advise starting at default, out-of-the-box configuration after initial flash and reset to defaults, and then slowly add your personal configurations - using "save" and rebooting at each step and then letting it run, etc. and so on until you find the exact config item that causes it. There has been a lot going on with several things within the firmware, so pinpointing the cause may be tedious.

I'm already running a super lean configuration as is - I've got nothing running other than 5GHz AC only running on channel 161 (2.4GHz turned off). The only lead I have at the moment is on the build previous to r42925 when I selected and saved 'lower upper' in the extension the router crashed and I had to do a reset. I know there's been a lot of back and forth here about the extension channels as of recently, could that be it?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
AC/N-Mixed. AC-only is probably a bad selection for 5GHz. If this is a device that @egc wrote an install guide for, that may have been mentioned, may have not, but:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Wireless_Settings

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings

On beacon interval, we have found that prime numbers work best. There are probably other tweaks that aren't in the advanced wiki, but probably discussed elsewhere in the forum. I don't keep notes on everything like I should Embarassed

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: