[SOLVED] R7000 Internet only working as "iPhone Tetheri

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Rurouni_Kenshin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:50    Post subject: [SOLVED] R7000 Internet only working as "iPhone Tetheri Reply with quote
So I have an Nighthawk M1 LTE router, I have it on IP Passthrough, no DHCP and IP 192.168.1.1; connected to the Netgear R7000 on the WAN port configured at 192.168.1.2.
I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std, which I believe is the last version available for my router

The problem is, if I put the router in automatic detect DHCP, I get WAN IP and the router connects to the internet (which I need as I want to configure OpenVPN), but none of the PCs nor anything in local network gets internet access.. If I try pinging the M1 (x.1) I don't get any reply and I can't log into it

However if I select "iPhone Tethering", the router does not get WAN IP, OpenVPN fails to connect but all of the PCs and devices on the network get internet and I can ping and log into the M1 website.. So how can I get it to auto detect DHCP, so the router has WAN IP, but get internet access on all the devices?

I have setup many routers in the same network but for some reason I can't get the M1 + R7000 to work together nicely.. R7000 gateway and DNS are set to x.1 (M1) and I have the advanced routing settings with the M1 as the gateway and the operating mode as routing

I was trying to find any person having this issue but I can't find any post about it
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your subject does not match the contents of your post. Is it working with iphone Tethering, or is it not working with iPhone Tethering?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Cellular_Phone/USB_Modem_as_WAN_connection

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mobile_Broadband

Also, 40559 is NOT the last build for your router, if you would look through this sub-forum. Do not use the router database, as it doesn't stay current with build releases.

Latest build release thread: New Build 42872: 04-10-2020-r42872

Installation Wiki

Where Do I Download Firmware?

Firmware FAQ

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:06; edited 1 time in total
Rurouni_Kenshin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
In iPhone Tethering mode all my devices get internet from the router but the router itself doesn't detect internet so I don't get WAN IP, OpenVPN doesn't connect and so on

If I put it on Automatic DHCP, the router does get WAN IP and OpenVPN works but none of the devices connected to the router get internet access

Didn't know about the database not being up to date, gonna update it later or tomorrow then, thanks!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try assigning the usb modem ip address to the gateway on the main setup page first and testing that.

The other thing to check is on the Networking tab, what the wan port assignment is. If it's not usb0, then you may have to set that manually via CLI.

Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Rurouni_Kenshin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't own an USB modem tho, I have the Nighthawk M1 which is an LTE modem/router with LAN exit connected to the R7000 WAN port.. It isn't using USB and after removing the router settings from the M1, it should act like a modem
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rurouni_Kenshin wrote:
I don't own an USB modem tho, I have the Nighthawk M1 which is an LTE modem/router with LAN exit connected to the R7000 WAN port.. It isn't using USB and after removing the router settings from the M1, it should act like a modem

Well it would have helped if you had shared that information in the first place Sad

The problem might be that your router and your m1 are using the same subnet (192.168.1.1).

Reset your router to defaults and change only the Local IP address on the setup page from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.13.1.
See if that helps

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Rurouni_Kenshin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
But I did say the M1 is an LTE modem/router and have connected on the WAN port Confused

I tried to have them on different subnet at first, I had the R7000 on 0.1 and the M1 on 1.1, and had the R7000 gateway pointing to the M1 but still, no luck.. And if I have them on different subnet internet wont work at all, doesn't matter if I have it on automatic DHCP or iPhone Tethering, neither the router nor the devices get internet connection
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the Netgear LTE modem in bridge mode? Sorry for overlooking that bit of information, but usually when I see LTE and modem, I immediately think USB Embarassed I guess the next thing to ask is if the LTE modem is running a dhcp server of some sort. You may have to turn that off or set up your DD-WRT router as an AP/Switch in Router mode with a static local IP. Again, this could also be a problem with the 40559 firmware build and you may wish to upgrade to a more recent build.

EDIT: Please post appropriate screenshots of pertinent configs, images no bigger than 800 pixels wide of both devices. I need to be able to wrap my brain around the way the ball bounces from point a to b visually. Internet -> M1 -> DD-WRT (R7000) ... but.

Rurouni_Kenshin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its ok, I just got confused on why you said USB Laughing I disabled the DHCP on the Netgear LTE router and have DDWRT as the DHCP handling server, sadly the LTE router doesn't have a "bridge" mode but according to netgears forum, ip passthrough behaves the same

Just updated the router, gonna check if now the automatic DHCP mode gives internet to both the router and devices or I'm unable to connect

Screenshot (713).png
 Description:
That's my Basic setup on the DDWRT
 Filesize:  41.04 KB
 Viewed:  4779 Time(s)

Screenshot (713).png

Screenshot (712).png
 Description:
That's the LTE M1 router, that's pretty much all the stuffs I can change, that's why I want to have the more complete R7000 with DDWRT
 Filesize:  29.12 KB
 Viewed:  4779 Time(s)

Screenshot (712).png

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can already see the problem. Unless you had DD-WRT setup as a switch/AP, you were double-NAT into the same subnet. You won't get internet access on the client side of DD-WRT that way. If you had set the DD-WRT router to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1 ... anything OUTSIDE of 192.168.1.x subnet, it would have worked fine, just double-NAT.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

Rurouni_Kenshin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did try to have it like that at first, 0.1 for the DDWRT and 1.1 for the M1 and it didn't work for either iPhone Tethering nor Automatic DHCP

Just tried it again right now with the new firmware and the same. Had DDWRT to be 192.168.0.1 and M1 192.168.1.1, and didn't work on either mode Sad Confused Unless I need to change something to make the DDWRT talk with the M1 router?

Also I tried Automatic DHCP on this new firmware and now the router doesn't get WAN IP at all, so right now only iPhone Tethering works in some way (without having WAN IP on the router and without OpenVPN working) Confused Confused
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reset your R7000 and your M1 and start over. All you should've had to do on the R7000 to begin with was change the LAN IP to another subnet by changing the 3rd digit of the IP address. I can't post screenshots for you because my configs are much different and I don't have screenshots of my defaults I usually would set. Read the Linking Routers wiki I linked in my previous post. And read your M1 user guide.
Rurouni_Kenshin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like it was an issue of the old firmware, just reset it and had them on 2 different subnets, the R7000 got WAN IP (it never got it on the old firmware on different subnet) but couldn't ping the M1 (192.168.1.1) and nothing got internet.. I just tried using the WAN IP gateway as local gateway and everything works now, I can ping the M1, the R7000, everything has internet and OpenVPN works flawless Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile Surprised Surprised
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you got it sorted out! Marking this as solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: