[SOLVED] Best practices for major upgrade on WNDR4300?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
danbr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:11    Post subject: [SOLVED] Best practices for major upgrade on WNDR4300? Reply with quote
I'm running a Netgear WNDR4300 with an ancient build - 21061. It's been working fine for (obviously) many years, but I figured it was past time to upgrade. This is the primary router for our simple home network. I don't actually need any new capabilities at this time.

Given the number of intervening builds, what are the best practices for the upgrade?

- Should I do a "Factory Defaults" from the Administration Tab before I upgrade?
- Is there any reason to upgrade to some intermediate build before upgrading to a recent build?
- Which of the recent builds is appropriate as relatively stable? I didn't turn up any obvious candidates from reading the "New Build" messages

Thanks!

Dan

Last edited by danbr on Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:31; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
since your coming from such an acient build, I would highly recommend doing a factory reset on the old build, install the new build, and factory reset again.... for sure there will be some nvram mappings that shift and will cause issues if you don't perform factory resets...

doing the factory reset on the old will assure nothing strange lingers over to the new build. the factory reset on the new build will kill all gremlins...

no feeding a gremlin past midnight, please!

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
danbr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks - that part sounds straight-forward . . . and I have a text file of the config so it will be easy to put it back Smile

Any recommendations on a specific build?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can try 44715 first and see my signature for the WiFi settings. That's a really old router and you may encounter some issues with wifi speed issues. I have a similar old tp-link at my aunt's house running a build from last year. You can try that build 2nd. 44715 is a solid build to try and test first. You can stress test using iperf on two computers. Notes on that in my signature, too.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
danbr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent!! Thanks again for the help . . . .
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 14:13    Post subject: Re: Best practices for major upgrade on WNDR4300? Reply with quote
Upgrade with WebUI shouldn't work. The firmware signature was changed from tp-link to dd-wrt around build r33375 by BS.
Be careful. I would prefer a revert to stock and after that factory to dd-wrt from a recent build because it's more secure. I would go with msoengineers recommendation to go back to factory, reset settings before every flash step, do NOT import any saved settings from dd-wrt, manually recreate every setting you need.
danbr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone - this did the trick:

1. Reset to factory defaults (still running 21061)
2. Flash from the WebGUI using 44715 - I did this before I saw the message from @servicetech - just lucky I guess!!
3. Reset to factory defaults AGAIN.
4. Manually install all my settings (which didn't take long except for my DHCP statics Smile

All up and running, no surprises in the log . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: