How To Create VPN_SSID on DDWRT Client Router

gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 18:50    Post subject: How To Create VPN_SSID on DDWRT Client Router Reply with quote
Hello,

I looked through the latest OpenVPN Server guide by 'egc' (1.74) and I see there is a section for connecting from a DDWRT router (in this case the client) to a remote DDWRT server, but I there is something extra I was looking for assistance with.

I would like the create a wireless SSID specifically for this connection. Basically I would create a new SSID called VPN_SSID on the DDWRT client router which is constantly connected to the remote DDWRT server. This way I can connect any wireless device in my home to the VPN_SSID rather than installing OpenVPN GUI, etc on each of my devices.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 19:53    Post subject: Re: How To Create VPN_SSID on DDWRT Client Router Reply with quote
gil_happy wrote:
Hello,

I looked through the latest OpenVPN Server guide by 'egc' (1.74) and I see there is a section for connecting from a DDWRT router (in this case the client) to a remote DDWRT server, but I there is something extra I was looking for assistance with.

I would like the create a wireless SSID specifically for this connection. Basically I would create a new SSID called VPN_SSID on the DDWRT client router which is constantly connected to the remote DDWRT server. This way I can connect any wireless device in my home to the VPN_SSID rather than installing OpenVPN GUI, etc on each of my devices.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Make an unabridged VAP on the client and use policy based routing to route that VAP via the VPN.
Policy based routing guide see my signature at the bottom of this post

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great, thank you.... I will take a look at this.
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, I am finally revisiting this after almost 2 years! As mentioned, I want to create a 2.4G SSID (let's call is 'VPN_SSID") on my DDWRT router (Linksys WRT-1900ACv2 with build r49197) that is permanently connected to a remote OpenVPN server. Of course I have a regular 2.4G and 5G SSID on this router for regular / local surfing the net.

After configuration, it does not appear to work. Here is what I did:

- Per 'egc', I created a Virtual AP (Wireless - Basic Settings) under the 2.4G radio
- Then under the 'Advanced Settings' of this SSID I created, the 'only' option I changed was to set the 'Network Configuration' to 'Unbridged'.

- Then under 'Services - VPN', I enabled the 'OpenVPN Client' and entered in all of the information to connect to the OpenVPN Server at the remote end. I believe this is correct since when I check the 'Status - OpenVPN' log, it indicates the 'State' is Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS

- After reviewing the 'DDWRT OpenVPN Client setup guide' from 'egc', namely page 7 which discuss Policy Based Routing, I went to 'Services - VPN' to the section of 'Source Routing (PBR)' and selected 'Route selected sources via VPN' since I only want devices that connect to the 'VPN_SSID' to use the VPN connection.
- Next, under the 'Policy based Routing' section directly below it, the only config I put in was:
- iif wlan1.1
- the wlan1.1 is the interface number of the VAP when I do an 'ifconfig' from the shell.

Does anyone have any guidance as to the possible issue? When I connect to this SSID, I do not seem to grab an IP address and don't have internet access. I do know that I can connect to the OpenVPN server using OpenVPN software, so I know that the server is working, but I'm guessing something is wrong with my PBR config.

Thanks in advance!
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
First you have to get a working VAP.

When attached the to the VAP you should have internet access (after disabling the VPN client) if you do not have internet access you did not setup the VAP the right way.

Only when the VAP is working you can proceed with the VPN client and PBR.

To be clear you need an unbridged VAP.

There are several ways to setup a VAP, attached how I do it Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you! It is now working due to your document 👍

PS - I verified that my VAP was working before I configured the VPN client.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: