SMARTDNS Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
I have send the patch to BS, I had to do some convincing but it is accepted.
If you think the patch is useful than drop him a line Smile

Take care, time for a beer Smile

beerche...
yep its useful as there is no point, plain DNS to be fetched in SmartDNS config if your goal is to use encrypted DNS.. Rolling Eyes
Thanks anyway...

p.s. i still haven't tested the payload SmartDNS Embarassed

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
strange wrote:
+1 for "SmartDNS servers only". It is less confusing to me.

Less words are more (sometimes), ATM there is 4 when patch makes it into public build, one word (use) is implied. So I have to agree with above.

It's all about context, IF we are already in a smartDNS area exclusive to it, smartDNS word is not even needed. Context matters.

Easy fix, I can just slide my hand over some keys on my next strings patch.

Now to find smart(s)DNS.

EDIT added screenshot: Yep smartDNS its already implied on fieldset label (smartDNS Resolver), so smartDNS word is not necessary on any labels below.

Ide probably do (Provided Servers Only) instead of `Use only SmartDNS Servers` or another word to replace provided that more accurate and simple, sorry a bit tipsy atm.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry that I also have an opinion about it.
I find "Provided Servers Only" not well understood.

Who provides the servers?
Are they hardcoded somewhere in smartdns?
Are they the servers you configure under "basic setup"?
etc

Basically, the label should look like this so that everyone understands it. "use only servers from the aditional Options"
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Too long a label, labels need to be short, I agree things should be K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple & Stupid) for UX side, but we also need to look at the UI aspect of things.

Lets say the label stayed how it was, `Use SmartDNS Servers Only` Which servers are these? Where in smartDNS are these servers provided?

So question remains the same if label is `Use SmartDNS Servers Only` or `Provided Servers Only`

To resolve this a short label then since the servers are provided in additional options right?

So my solution is `Defined Servers Only` or better `Additional Servers Only`or again another word better than Provided, Defined or Additional, we cant have more than 3 words here, even if we assume translators will find shorter ways to fix the translation, we have a limited space until the label reaches the radio button.

The word Use and SmartDNS are implied, so its already not needed.

And to illustrate... See screenshot. The label wraps and pushes the one below.

We have to find a 3 word solution, max 4 words and cant be words that are too long or unnecessary words since context matters. (we sometimes have to use obvious words where the label is two words long else it makes it weird, case and point Enable Resolver above).

I think `Additional Servers Only` is simple and to the point since immediately below we have a Additional Options field.

Welcome to UX/UI design everyday problems.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive now, added a 4 word label using an implied word to make it extra KISS.

`Use Additional Servers Only`

Part of me thinks the word `Use` could still be omitted without prejudice, but...

Lets see what translators come up with. (we have two active? so all languages where not translated will show English only anyway.)

In Portuguese this would be rather simple and words are generally longer.

Utilizar Servidores Adicionais = Use Additional Servers
Apenas Servidores Adicionais = Additional Servers Only
Apenas Utilizar Servidores Adicionais = Use Additional Servers Only

that last one is borderline reaching the radio. Sure the translator can ignore the obvious words to get around UI limitations.

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I know it's too long.
When I think about it, I find the two variants quite good.

Additional Servers Only
Use Additional Servers Only

I suppose that might be understood

But only my personal opinion.

Edit: in german there are no problems (note the long dnsmasq descriptions)
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
In German or any language, you can use the accepted technique of not using the smartDNS word at all for the additional options field.

You are already under a specific `SmartDNS Resolver` section all options in said section are clearly just for smartDNS, so you dont need to repeat what words already are defined by the specific and separate context where you are configuring something.

Also below on the other section you use `blablablah DNS (DNSCrypt)` Me I would do this `blablablah DNS` when you toggle this on you are offered the DNScrypt Resolver as it becomes visible, so you are already looking at two DNScrypt words.

Problem is now the English is semi fixed for the most part, the translations should follow the logic and mostly they still rely on what use to be needlessly repetitive. Given the sheer size on the whole language file which has the complete set, its not possible to optimize things in such a short time, but that's OK, it doesn't all have to happen in one day.

Slowly but surely we make things better, sure it has side effects like wikis and documentation will now be off beat (well not the built in hlep text at least Ive taken care of those and much todo still, but, that's not a reason to not improve something.

The opensource problem of the ages, lack of active contributors in most non code related areas, some projects have more active communities and more developers and some dont and are driven by one person mostly. Such is the beast. Something happens to that person and project is dead.

ho1Aetoo wrote:
When I think about it, I find the two variants quite good.

Additional Servers Only
Use Additional Servers Only

I suppose that might be understood

In here lies the rub. If you have to think about it (more than a second), its already failed.
Many many many years ago, in the Xbox legacy hacking days, and doing skins (themes) I met a very nice German chap who went by the nickname of Chokemanic, we shared a love for graphic and UI design, amongst other things.

He introduced me to a book https://sensible.com/dont-make-me-think/ the first edition back then, I bought it and have now all editions, but for the most part the first/second editions were the best for me, the 3rd is going a little sideways at least the electronic version.
You really understood the value of not making people think and if (too much) thinking is required then its failed, because attention spans and wondering minds and how people scan pages not actually read top to bottom.

I recommend it is a good read no matter which field you specialize in.

Last edited by the-joker on Sat Jul 09, 2022 13:01; edited 1 time in total
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use only SmartDNS Servers could be easy used as
Only SmartDNS Servers - Nur Smartdns Servers
it is a short and intuitive and that was my basic though...

where....

Additional Servers Only
or
Use the Additional Servers Only

Those from above are confusing to me, as it rises a questions..servers from where...as there are few places to specify DNS servers...

i've seen people that want to use Stubby, Unbound, SmartDNS along with DNScrypt all together in order to get the best security... Rolling Eyes Embarassed

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
To repeat the needless smartDNS word doesn't make anything suddenly be understood.

Read my previous two posts for why repeating words that are already made obsolete because of the specific context.

If label reads `Use Additional Servers Only` and right below you have an additional options field, if it still does not make sense, then its failed and as all suggested labels naming so far would equally fail.

`Use SmartDNS Servers Only` (or however you change those words around) doesn't explain where servers come from either and the word smartDNS doesn't do anything to explain anything at all, and could make room for words that do.

the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even though most people dont read anything, I added an in page help text entry for this specific option only.

This will show in page on the side help menu

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/pull/264

It should clarify where these servers come from, but sadly you will still need to figure out where babies come from by yourself.

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Even though most people dont read anything, I added an in page help text entry for this specific option only.

This will show in page on the side help menu

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/pull/264

It should clarify where these servers come from, but sadly you will still need to figure out where babies come from by yourself.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

to me it doesn't really matter, what ever option it will be, as long as it's working..as it should...
thinking for the general mass...
short, intuitive, transparent...and ect...
i feel sorry for the thread (buinneach), that picking/discussing the correct name became to...
not always ppl are on the same page... can't blame... Rolling Eyes

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
strange
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
`Use SmartDNS Servers Only`

You guys know that the 'S' in DNS stands for server, right? So maybe it should be "Use SmartDNS Only", but since it is in the SmartDNS section, it should probably read, "Use Only". Well, now that I fixed that, I'm heading out the the ATM machine to get some money. Laughing Razz Laughing

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Use" is redundant I vote for "Only"
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
strange wrote:
`Use SmartDNS Servers Only`

You guys know that the 'S' in DNS stands for server, right? So maybe it should be "Use SmartDNS Only", but since it is in the SmartDNS section, it should probably read, "Use Only". Well, now that I fixed that, I'm heading out the the ATM machine to get some money. Laughing Razz Laughing

Makes sense, I like it so much I got you tickets to the Muppet show, you can sit next to Mortimer..

@egc Im on the fence with the Use word as well, its kinda redundant, especially when we see what the Polish translators do to it.

Hers how it looks in polish and english for a specific section I just tried to fix with latest patch. https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/pull/265/files

Last edited by the-joker on Mon Jul 11, 2022 17:31; edited 2 times in total
strange
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
@egc and @the-joker I think that both of you did an awesome job on the SmartDNS implementation in the last update. Thank you for all of the work that you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: